Author Topic: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions (2009-2016)  (Read 1228266 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Random Movie Thoughts/Questions
« Reply #6360 on: November 02, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
What a classy guy that 1SO is, and with the avatar to match. I remember the day he arrived like it was yesterday.

Some of our newer members may not be aware of this but when Mr. 1SO first showed up he went by his full name, 1 Strong Opinion. And strong opinions they were!

Paul Thomas Anderson has demons

Demons he said! How frightful.

There was a time though, which many here will remember, when 1SO had demons of his own...

4) Prince Caspian
5) Rambo

Such brazen statements sent shockwaves through the community, let me tell you. Oh how we wailed and gnashed our teethses. If I close my eyes I can still hear the screams. Those of us who survived now observe June 15 as a day of mourning, Saint Caspain's Day (we get together and shoot exploding arrows at centaurs).

But then oldkid came, and we commissioned him to perform an exorcism. And he did so. After the procedure there was no longer a 1 Strong Opinion, but 1SO. And that's the story of how 1SO got his name.

Anyways, this is a great day. Congratulations to a dedicated poster, film lover, and good friend. May the demons never take you again.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #6361 on: November 02, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
:bravo:
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Totoro

« Reply #6362 on: November 02, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »
Congrats, 1SO on 10,000. Still waiting on that Madame De... review for MDC. Perhaps I just have to write my review for it first. It's good to know that, even though you have a career in film making, you still believe in its magic.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6363 on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
smirnoff, you never fail to make me laugh. Had to look up those quotes. Only 1 is out of context, but bravo for finding that.

The one paragraph I cut from my post was the explanation of my name. (Some still think it's I S O, like a camera setting or 1-SO). I actually shortened it because that's what people were calling me anyway, and on an episode of the podcast someone commented that Strong Opinions end conversations. You should bring Smart Opinions and be open to changing them. That is why I rewatch acclaimed films I didn't like the first time.

Totoro, I thought after watching Max Ophüls' Letter from an Unknown Woman that Madame De... would be soon to follow. Then Shocktober came around. I still have it to watch, whenever I catch up with my mail rentals and need a movie. I'm surprised myself that I haven't gotten to it yet.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #6364 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
@ smirnoff
 ;D
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6365 on: November 02, 2011, 09:03:59 PM »
I thought how interesting it might be if instead of directors, we thought about bodies of films as authored by the gaffer, the result is...well...interesting:

Before John Buckley gaffed such films as Titanic and Green Lantern, distinctively keeping things alight on the movie set, he was known chiefly for his dark, ominous electrical work in Howling V: The Rebirth and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.

Buckley's biggest followers saw his career switch as a quick cash grab, but audiences worldwide hailed his films as among the finest electrical work of any film ever conceived on the big screen.

His upcoming film, Gangster Squad, boasts such talents as Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn and Emma Stone, but for fans of his work, he's the true star of the film, the one that makes sure the lights stay on long after the credits roll.

Totoro

« Reply #6366 on: November 03, 2011, 11:05:45 PM »
Are there two different versions of the Orson Welles directed The Stranger?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6367 on: November 03, 2011, 11:12:11 PM »
I don't believe so.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #6368 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »
Congrats, ISO. No one can question your awesomeness now.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6369 on: November 04, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
After watching some Pasolini I asked "Are there any surreal satires that are pro-government, pro-religion and dump on the poor?" The only one which might qualify is David Zucker's An American Carol which I heard was terrible.