Author Topic: Filmspotter Confessions  (Read 106171 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Filmspotter Confessions
« Reply #570 on: March 20, 2012, 02:41:17 AM »
All I could kept thinking about during 'A Separation' was how I never want to live if I ever get Alzheimer's Disease (for my sake and my family's sake) - a life without a mind is no life at all.
Ironic.

I wasn't thinking this exact thing, but something related.  A friend - a former student  - wrote to me this evening and told me the doctors think his mother has Huntington's disease.  If she does (blood tests forthcoming), there's a 50% chance he (and his brother) has it.  If he does have it, that means he'll be dead in 20-25 years and at least 10 of those years will be spent in a growing physical and mental deterioration until, finally, 24 hour care will be needed. Depression and suicide are common among people with Huntington's, apparently.

My friend is an amazingly sharp, creative, self-aware, sensitive, and talented person, and the cards have been stacked against him his whole life (horrible, hellish stuff he's had to live through and still has to deal with).  If there's this, too . . . ? 

Feeling so burdened for him.  His email was straightforward and dry, but I know that's not how he's feeling.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #571 on: March 20, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
@OAD: that disease is one of the cruelest I've ever heard of. My heart breaks whenever I hear about it and the case of your friend is no exception. I hope he'll turn out lucky this time. But I wish noone had to throw that dice.

@sbd_1970: you know... noone wants to end up senile, but at least - once you're in that condiciton, you're not the one who is sufferning. It's the relatives who do.  It's the road to get there that is painful (I see it with my grandmother who rapidly is developing this, while being aware of that itäs happening.) But when you've lost it all, well... you're not aware of it anymore. I've seen it happening with my father (in the terminal state of cancer he turned senile due to liver malfunciton which leads to poisoning of the brain). He was gaga. It was awful to watch of course but HE didn't suffer so much from it.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #572 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:32 AM »
@OAD: I hope he'll turn out lucky this time. But I wish noone had to throw that dice.
Me, too, Lobby, and thank-you.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #573 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
I don't care about the Retro Filmspots and will not be participating.

Same, there are enough other things to do on these boards.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #574 on: March 20, 2012, 10:58:54 AM »
I do all board related projects while passively watching special features on my dvds. I probably would do either thing only sparingly if it werent for the other.

Done 2 MDCs, 3 bracket matchups, and Filmspots through Lord of the Rings special features (which I never wouldve watched...I'm a much bigger fan of the books). Only one disc left in that set!

shuabert

• Elite Member
    • Caveat Lector (Personal Tumblr)
« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
I don't care about the Retro Filmspots and will not be participating.

Same, there are enough other things to do on these boards.

As much as I would like to, I probably won't participate either. I'm still trying to catch up on my top ten 2011 list and my March MDC pick.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #576 on: April 03, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
I could spend hours paging through the "Respond to the last movie you watched" thread and re-reading my old reviews.  For someone with a lot of self-esteem issues, I sure can be a narcissist sometimes.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #577 on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:12 PM »
I print my reviews out. Put them into giant binders (3 so far) on my bookshelf for easy reference.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #578 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »
I hate rereading my old reviews.  I just get embarrassed and/or depressed.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #579 on: April 03, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
I hate rereading my old reviews.  I just get embarrassed and/or depressed.

That's how I feel about almost all of mine up until a few months ago.  I'm in the process of porting all my old reviews over to my Wordpress site, and it's a very humbling/depressing experience.