love

Author Topic: Filmspotter Confessions  (Read 106263 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Filmspotter Confessions
« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
Damn near cried when I got that phone call!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
LMAO

My wife and I would be happy to adopt a cheesecake.  We'll give him a happy home for as long as he lives.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #602 on: May 04, 2012, 09:17:12 PM »
LMAO

My wife and I would be happy to adopt a cheesecake.  We'll give him a happy home for as long as he lives.

That would make this one of the most communal forums I have ever been on.  Anyway.. FLY, I think you will learn to love cheesecake if you give it a chance.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #603 on: May 15, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »
I'm envious of the sheer amount of films fellow filmspotters have seen and are seeing. My only consolation? Getting to read your reviews.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:44:23 PM by Sandy »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #604 on: May 15, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »
It takes real dedication and focus. Plus, the realization that you can never actually watch everything. This is why I love Icheckmovies. It reminds me of that and helps me to prioritize. I wish I had this many films under my belt 20 years ago. The down side is it turns me into a film snob by default because there are so hardly any popular classics left to discover.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #605 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
New films come out every year...popular ones if not classic ones.

I'm envious of the lack of films many filmspotters watch because they have better things to do with their lives.

Having just made another "discovery" amid a classic film, it looks more and more that my favoritism of the 00s really is just having watched way more films in the 00s. I think I confused this for not liking classics because of the most acclaimed classics failed miserably for me. It's been a lot of second-tier classics that have stood out for me. I guess that's often the case with new films too.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #606 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
I'm glad to see you re-evaluating your stance on older movies.

I feel like I'm discovering fewer and fewer "masterpieces".  In the past year, I've only given four new viewings my highest rating: The Turin Horse and The Tree of Life which were both pretty much expected, Secrets & Lies which I already had a good feeling about, and the one true surprise, Thirst for Love.  This could be any combination of these three factors:

1) I'm getting stingier with my "masterpiece" rating
2) I'm not looking in the right places
3) I've already seen everything I'm likely to love

I hope/believe it's mostly 1 and 2.  I think I've actually gotten more generous lately, looking for the good in most films, but I do hold back from that highest rating for movies that truly blow me away.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #607 on: May 15, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »
I should get back into watching movies again. I haven't seen one all month.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #608 on: May 15, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
I'm blown away or close to blown away so often that it's almost silly. *Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to hold on to my childish enthusiasm*. I'm still in the discovery phase and I doubt I'll ever reach the "seen all before" drudgery in my lifetime.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #609 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
This is why I love Icheckmovies. It reminds me of that and helps me to prioritize.
Is this the general Filmspotter default online tracking site or are there any others that are popular.  I think I should move from Excel to something online that will pull more details for me.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love