love

Author Topic: Filmspotter Confessions  (Read 106247 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Filmspotter Confessions
« Reply #720 on: October 18, 2015, 12:08:32 PM »
I just spent 3 minutes clicking on threads I had already read because I mistook the menu page I was in for the unread posts page.

My parents did not raise a smart man.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #721 on: October 18, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
You must have thought we were all being really redundant!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #722 on: October 18, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
Everyone's human.  It could have been your fault and you didn't know it, or it could have been their fault, and they didn't want to admit it.  I once had a full argument with someone about whose fault an almost-accident was, and we were both driving at the time.  Not too smart, I suppose.

:)

I'm trying to picture this.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 01, 2016, 08:08:01 PM »
Speaking of human error, I felt that I still have much to learn in the way of tact. While I've learned relatively well for the past few weeks not to get upset at every little things other members say to me in the forum, I feel that I still need to work on better communication towards the opposite party. Being at the comfort of my home, in front of the computer, it can be easy to misinterpret what might be offensive to others and what might not. Being overly frank, for example, can seem rather insulting in hindsight (my remark about Ford and his paycheck).

So, apologies to anyone who might have found my attitude for the past few days to be tactless. I kinda just say a lot of stupid things I find to be either funny, honest, or harmless sometimes that I forget myself... I'll try to keep this in check. ;D Please be assured that I meant no offense whatsoever.

Interesting related article:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/19/social-media-makes-you-socially-awkward_n_5512749.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:13:04 PM by Hermit »
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #724 on: May 02, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
Mate, the advantage you have is a fair amount of self awareness. The disadvantage is that you have to watch that others aren't that bothered about being self aware and can take advantage of a perceived weakness. Make you feel bad if you admit a failing. So don't beat yourself up too much about it. Plenty of people make the same mistake over and over again which becomes its own form of comedy after a while. The self aware stop making the mistake.

Whatever you may have worked out about me I'm happy to keep expressing confidence in you; chiefly by continuing to talk to you. Given some difficult conversations I'm still here which is the best sort of confidence you can have in someone else ie you still want to talk to them. I get a lot back from the exchange. I learn from discussion. If it was merely an argument I would get nothing from it and I would stop bothering. Discussion is win win. Argument is dull. I'd only question the more internet type statements you've made. It's easy to be over emphatic to make a point on the Internet. It's not necessary. Not here anyway. But when it happens it's fairly clear what's going down.

Here's something to take as a general observation. A bit of people watching. There's a gap between the offence and the apology. The gap in time reduces until the apology comes before the offence instead of after it. In other words you stop yourself causing the offence so you don't need to apologise at all.

The other element is working out who has your best interest at heart and don't worry about the opinions of those who don't have your interests at heart.

I thought you deserved to get a reply from someone...so you'll have to settle for me.  ;D yet again though I get something from forming the thought on the page. I learn how to put the statement in better more polite ways. A learning process beyond the point people expect you to keep learning.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 02, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »
I thought you deserved to get a reply from someone...so you'll have to settle for me.  ;D yet again though I get something from forming the thought on the page. I learn how to put the statement in better more polite ways. A learning process beyond the point people expect you to keep learning.

Thanks for the kind words, verbs. I had a feeling I could count on you. ;)

Honestly, that was just something I felt I needed to get off my chest, particularly when the lack of doing so might stifle my effort in building a good relationship with the community. I've been following DH's advice of watching what I post for so long that when I accidentally slipped a bit out of line, it kinda just sent me into panic mode.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #726 on: May 02, 2016, 06:09:48 PM »
I felt that I still have much to learn in the way of tact.

Don't we all.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #727 on: May 02, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
I think your ability to recognize that you've stepped over a line and your willingness to fess up to such a thing shows that you're on the right path. It took me like 25 years to be able to apologize to my mom when I was mean to her. It is a tough thing to do. Doing it, then, is one of the most important things you can do. And so you do it, and nobody will ever hate you for apologizing.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 02, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »
Hopefully, I'll see the day when I too would be able to form a more cordial relationship with my own mother, let alone apologize to her. There's just too much bad blood between me and my parents - but I digress.

Doing it, then, is one of the most important things you can do. And so you do it, and nobody will ever hate you for apologizing.

Thanks for that. I kinda needed to hear that. ;D It's nice to know that I'm doing the right thing.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #729 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
smirnoff, I stole your coding. :-[

It's just that your creation is so pretty and I really wanted to make columns, but didn't know how. Having a template was hugely helpful and with just a little tweaking, I was able to make it work just like I needed it to.

Sorry to steal... and thank you. :)

love