love

Author Topic: Top 5 Movies that made you LOVE movies....  (Read 21702 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Top 5 Movies that made you LOVE movies....
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 12:20:24 PM »
This stuff:

(couldn't find a picture that didn't invole a comedy cat's hat)

Tin foil.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 05:18:42 PM »
Ooh Harold and Maude, nice call winrit I forgot to add that to me list.  Although I don't know if it made me love movies as much as it made me love life.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »
This is tough.  In the order in which I first saw them and limiting it to only 10:

Star Wars (the first movie I ever saw)
Annie Hall
Pulp Fiction
Rashomon
8 1/2
Boogie Nights
The General (the Buster Keaton one)
Chungking Express
A Woman Is A Woman
Au hasard Balthazar
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Mumford67

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 09:06:55 PM »
Mary Poppins: The first movie I can remember slipping nightly into my dreams (Mary Poppins coached my baseball team!!), the source of my life motto (A spoonful of Sugar helps the medicine go down), and in my adulthood, the film that has most altered my life (George Banks' story has made me alter the way I am as a parent).

West Side Story:  In the 1970's, this ran in primetime on CBS.  Its the one movie my mom let me stay up late for (two hours past my bedtime on a school night!) and it entirely broke my heart.  Good thing my mom was there to console me.  Forever cemented musicals as my favorite film genre.

The Road Warrior:  Came out of nowhere and forever changed my action film expectations.  

Citizen Kane:  Saw this my first night of college.  Forever changed my view of classic film and made me an eye candy fanatic.

National Lampoon's Animal House: The first R movie I saw (in the theatre no less) and my first real introduction to sex and the nude female. Also damn funny, even if I didn't understand most of it.  Made me realize I hadn't seen all the world had to offer by age eight.  Also, made me realize that I had a pretty cool dad.

Duck Soup:  Funniest film ever made...bar none.
Mumford, the All Purpose Nothing

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:37:35 PM »
Quote from: "Mumford67"
West Side Story:Forever cemented musicals as my favorite film genre.

Finally, someone on my side.  Of course there has been a lot of "Grease" love floating around lately.  I am more of a Grease II girl, "Let's Bowl!"
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

tincan

Movies that made me love movies
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 08:03:15 PM »
1. Goodfellas - The first film that made me stop liking movies and start loving them.  I was 15 and probably watched it that many times that year.

2. Pulp Fiction - I worked at a movie theatre and we got it on the Wednesday before it opened.  My friends and I built it up in the projection room and started it at 3 in the morning.  When we came out of the theatre the sun was starting to come up and we were changed.  We watched it again the next night.

3. Umbrellas of Cherbourg - I catch this every time it plays at a revival house.  It always leaves me inspired and happy.

4. Heavenly Creatues - This movie is so original, so beautiful and grim.  The ending really disturbed me with it's realism.  The only movie I had seen that used state-of-the-art (well, at least in 1994) special effects to simply add to the story, not to upstage it.  

5. Star Wars - For those of us born in the 70s, these weren't just movies.  The Star Wars trilogy was my childhood life.

6-10:
The Cameraman
Band of Outsiders
Rushmore
The Girl on the Bridge
American Movie

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »
Its taken me so long to create this list because at the most basic level these are my favorite films.  In an even more stripped down ways these are the moments that make my favorite films so personal and special to me.  When Benjamin and Elaine sit next to each other on the bus, when Jefferson Smith faints on the Congressional floor during the final moments of his caucus, when Luke faces Vader for the first time.  Or how about Indiana Jones running from the giant ball of stone?  Or Marty Mcfly's daring return to 1985.  These moments set a fire in my gullet.  They make me want to stand up and cheer.  Its hard to just name the films that make me love movies because I would be writing my life's story and listing hundreds of films.  But, for winrit, I'll make a effort.

The Graduate
The Empire Strikes Back
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
Dead Poet's Society
Goonies
Close Encounters
Empire of the Sun
Star Wars

This list feels so incomplete.  I tend to bang a rather loud drum for the recent Joe Wright version of Pride & Prejudice.  I do so because as I sat there engulfing this film I thought to myself "This is why I come to the movies!"  The film moved me, made me fall in love with the cinema all over again.  I wanted to cheer, and I applauded vigorously as the credits rolled.  These films that bring me to tears no because they are sad, some of them are triumphant, but I become so overwhelmed with the magic of movies that I weep.  It sounds silly, but I do, its why I make movies, rather try to.  The craftsmanship that these films have brings me to my knees.  Its more than a list could do proper justice to.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 09:58:15 PM »
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Empire Strikes Back
American Beauty
Visions of Light
Precious Images

There's sort of three kinds of movies that make me love movies and they're all basically represented here.

Indiana Jones and Star Wars were the first two huge obsessions in my life, and Raiders and Empire are the best of their respective series. The sheer escapist entertainment value of these movies grabbed my little adolescent mind and shook the crap out of it until I saw stars. Before I knew what went into making films and before I had the skills to analyze a narrative- I just knew that these movies got it right and that made me think that movies were the coolest thing in the world.

American Beauty is sort of the flipside to that coin. This was the first time I ever took notice of all the different aspects of a movie and how they all came together to create something really powerful. It was the first time that I conciously noticed how the editing, cinematography, production design, et al were separate entities that worked together. American Beauty forever changed the way I look at movies and I credit it as getting the ball rolling for what would eventually become my burgeoning film career. It's also a perfect example of the collaborative nature of the medium, which has become my favorite aspect of filmmaking.

Visions of Light and Precious Images make me love movies because they perfectly showcase how film has the power to pervade our culture, become a part of our identities and attach itself to the very emotional core of us as people. Nothing makes me love what I do more than a big ol' montage of classic moments. It puts me in the best mood and leaves a smile on my face for days.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

DrG

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »
In no particular order:

Star Wars & Raiders of the Lost Ark
A Day at the Races & Duck Soup (my dad raised me and my brother on Marx Brothers films - I'd seem most of them by the time I was 10)
Pulp Fiction (the first time I remember a film really blowing my mind in the cinema)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Ghostbusters

lt. slothrop

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2006, 11:10:11 PM »
My top five are the first five. The first five to "break the third wall" as they say.  I was born in 1969.

1. Planet of the Apes (Early 70's TV) - A significant portion of my childhood was spent in a loincloth (read: bath towel and safety pin) bouncing around my bunkbed/fort growling, "Take your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

2. Star Wars (77' Theater) - A magnum opus for the imaginative and innocent youth. Thank you, George Lucas.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark  (81' Theater) - A hero who was smart and cool. Raiders made me believe college was my ticket to adventure!  

4. Evil Dead - (81' Theater) - I snuck in having no idea what to expect; knowingly only that the film I was about to see was unrated -- and not meant for my young eyes. Needless to say, it terrorized my imagination and stole my innocence. Thank you, Sam Raimi.

5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan  (82' Theater) - Showed me the tremendous power and responsibility that would come with adulthood. The last movie of my "childhood."

The "third wall" would never again fall away so readily.

love