love

Author Topic: Top 5 Films You Need To Re-Visit  (Read 5179 times)

duder

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Films You Need To Re-Visit
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 07:21:39 PM »
Things roujin didn't like.

Some good stuff in there.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »
2001: Have watched it twice.  First time only made it about half an hour in.  Second time was very underwhelmed.  Not sure if this one has much of a chance at changing my mind, but at least it will be pretty.

Don't try again. It is tripe. Your Breathless suggestion is a good one though.

Philip-- don't listen to her.  Read the book-- which was written at the same time as the film, and intended to be supporting each other-- and then watch it again.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 11:23:31 PM »
This is a great one, as my digging into the FSF Top 5's continues...

Gonna put one on here that I just watched over the weekend, because I truly need to see it again to let it sink-in further...

1. Inglourious Basterds (my Tarantino rethinking starts here, my favorite)
2. Snowpiercer
3. Man with a Movie Camera
4. Starfish
5. Ham on Rye
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
Thanks, ET.  I never did post my 5 because I hadn’t yet seen enough. Obie’s to think I needed to REwatch any.  Now I have a list of films I am unsure are so great that they should remain on my top list.

-A Canterbury Tale
-Red State
-Pyassa
—What Time Is It There?
-Carol

Akin to this list should be, “Top Five Films I Loved Before 2010, But Now I’m Not So Sure”
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:03 PM »
Thanks, ET.  I never did post my 5 because I hadn’t yet seen enough. Obie’s to think I needed to REwatch any.  Now I have a list of films I am unsure are so great that they should remain on my top list.

-A Canterbury Tale
-Red State
-Pyassa
—What Time Is It There?
-Carol

Akin to this list should be, “Top Five Films I Loved Before 2010, But Now I’m Not So Sure”

Funny you say that, because I’ve been testing out a lot of films to see if they still work. Cross this with the Is Wes Anderson Racist? thread, too, though last summer’s Wes marathon with a buddy reaffirmed my belief in him minus Darjeeling and Isle of Dogs. But Fight Club still works for me; Slumdog, once my favorite film, now makes me quite uncomfortable. Even a doc like Crude, which focuses way too much energy on its essentially self-professed white savior attorney is ickier than I first remember. But how about American Beauty? Or how does one square themselves with Tarantino’s own character in Pulp Fiction? I know these are seemingly old debates now, but really, not so old.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 10:19:48 PM »
Other than having Kevin Spacey what is concerning about American Beauty? Like, the problematic relationship is meant to be problematic.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 04:20:56 PM »
When I saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World it was in a teeny tiny boardwalk theater in NJ. Screen was maybe 10 feet across. Luckily, today happens to be the end of the 2nd week post 2nd shot, and I'm about to go to the Dolby theater to see it as big and loud as I can.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 04:43:24 PM »
Other than having Kevin Spacey what is concerning about American Beauty? Like, the problematic relationship is meant to be problematic.

It's not as an effective cultural critique as I once thought it was and is sexist:
-Dad quits job through unrealistic blackmailing of boss. Then gets a fast food job. Then buys an expensive car (because we hate the corporate world, but not buying fast cars from major corporations). All that plus love affair with underage girl is somewhere between midlife crisis and just flat creepy.
-Roles of women kind of like a traditional fairy tale - a combination of sexualized, alienated from each other, and of course, no female allies
-Romanticizes beautiful moments that just don't land (bag flying, fire in the driveway (driveway, right?))
-Fixation on material items is shallow, and this film would make it seem like there's no real way out
-Catatonic mother just sort of there.

There isn't nothing I like about the film, but it's not what I once thought it was.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:19:08 AM by Eric/E.T. »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
In fairness, American Beauty was my #1 all time 20 years ago and in my most recent accounting I dropped it out of the top 100 and is like 26-30 range for 1990s. Forget when I last rewatched it.