Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85323 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »
Follow my lead and let us know five (interesting?) things we don't know about you.

Here's mine:

1. I went to University with Farrah Fawcett, and she came to my apartment once to see a roommate of mine with whom she had attended high school.  They were working on an art project together.

2. I have a hearing deficiency, but it's manageable.

3. I'm on a quest to visit all the US national parks.

4. I couldn't read until I was 9 years old.

5. I have traveled extensively or lived on every continent.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:58:59 AM by saltine »
Texan Down Under

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Five (interesting?) things you don't know about me
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:44:02 PM »
1) I was in a few minutes worth of a pre-fight video package that aired before my trainers title fight in the WEC a few years ago.

2) I once fell off the back of a moving, as in a moving company, trailer and into a garbage pit

3) I wrestled the same kid four years in a row in the state quarterfinals for wrestling, lost all four times and he went on to win the state title all four years

4) I went to jail for a short amount of time when I was 19 for assaulting a 40 year old guy who lived on my street and threw rocks at my then 9 year old brother as he walked by his house

5) I finished third in the 1999 state history decathlon (why they called it a decathlon when it was only one event I don't know) and I lost because of a question involving Canada, damn you Canada

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
1. I am a Mennonite pastor, although I grew up without any religion and had never heard of Mennonites 15 years ago.

2. I used to regularly make 15 hour trips between Orange County, CA and Portland Oregon, and once I drove from Los Angeles to St. Paul in 30 hours straight.

3.  I only drink water or tea, so I am literally a "teatotaler".  And whether iced or hot, I only like my tea brewed-- instant is really gross!

4. A six month trip to India and Bangladesh in 1985 opened my eyes to poverty and I have been working with, supporting and assisting the poor ever since.

5. My wife and I have been married for twenty years and neither she nor I have ever dated anyone else.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »
5. I became the morning announcer at my middle school because my CAPT teacher heard me yelling before class. She wanted somebody who could project and I guess I could.

4. (a few of you may know this one already...) I was the voice of God in one of my youth fellowship Sunday church services. I channeled a bit of James Earl Jones to get the full deepness.

3. I went to the state supreme court (or something like that) with my fifth grade choir class to perform for a group of people who were becoming US citizens.

2. I only eat PB&J or grilled cheese for dinner. And lunch. And breakfast. Just kidding, I don't eat breakfast.

1. I job shadowed with a semi-famous painter by mistake. Was told he was a photographer by the school. We bought disposable cameras and walked around Hartford instead of doing other, possibly more "important" job shadow-y things.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:07 PM »
5) I've had sex with a famous person (I am not going to say who).
Pretty please.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
5) I've had sex with a famous person (I am not going to say who).
Pretty please.

Seriously, please.
Also, this is by far my favorite thread ever.

My 5:

1. I attended the same high school as Ron Livingston. One of the most memorable moments of my life was when he came to a high school basketball game I was cheering at. Not only did we make eye contact while I was in a stunt, but my family and I saw his butt crack.

2. I was born on Hitler's 100th birthday.

3. I hold the record at my high school for most FBLA conference trophies won in one year.

4. My dad is the captain of police in my hometown, and he is retiring in November.

5. As long as I can remember I've decorated everything possible with stars. My walls, doodling on papers, every piece of jewelry I wear, my tattoo, and my screen names.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:25 PM »

Very cool! On a related note, are you aware that this exists? And if so, have you seen it? It sounds INCREDIBLE!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:19:41 AM »

Very cool!

I have soooooooo wanted to do this.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:25:29 AM »
1. Before I dropped everything and moved to Winnipeg to day trade and I was apprenticing to be an auto mechanic.

2. I used to ride this. These days I don't have a car, motorcycle, or even a valid driver's license (I think I'm becoming more practical as I get older). I just walk or cab to get around now.

3. I recently went through the process of getting a gun license. My buddy is a gun lover and convinced me (a guy who saw no point in anybody owning a gun these days) that I had nothing to lose by getting a license. He also said he'd sell me his Winchester... so I caved. I have no use for the damn thing lest zombies attack. Still though, when I hold it I can pretend I'm in a western. In that way, it's kinda worth it.

4. I've never thrown a punch at anyone or been in a real fight.

5. I used to be allergic to chocolate.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
1. I'm adopted.  I was raised in an Italian Catholic house, but learned only a couple of years ago that my birth parents were Jewish.

2. I was convicted of Grand Theft after I was caught stealing from my job at Universal Studios Florida.  The punishment (2 days in jail and 3 months on house arrest) actually was light considering the thousands I stole.  But I did learn my lesson and I've walked an honest path ever since.

3. My wife is Autistic, which required a major lifestyle change from me if we're to work as a couple. (Like, no alcohol and attending very few social events).  But she's Lovely and Amazing and well worth the changes.

4. People find it weird that I made the choice to not lose my virginity until I wanted to.  I could've lost it at 15, but seriously... how bad would that have been.  (This decision definitely cost me some girlfriends in high school).  My first encounter was at 18, and my 2nd time was not until I was 22.  I didn't find a partner who I enjoyed being with multiple times until I was 28.  (She was 36.)  Like I said, it reads as strange but I can think of a few women I'm really glad I didn't sleep with.

5. In high school I would print a weekly 2-page movie review column, with a fresh review, a list of the Top 5 films now playing and a list of films to avoid.  It would be available in the School library.  When I moved to L.A. I got a side job as a film critic.  Subscribers included Development Executives and studio personal.  (And a famous Oscar-winning director.  I'm not going to say who... but Basil and Adam definitely know his work.)  I also co-hosted a local television show entitled "Films in Focus".  When I heard about podcasting, I saw it as an opportunity to continue working as a film analyst.  Then I discovered a little show called "Filmspotting", and that dream came to an abrupt end.

love