love

Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85395 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Five (interesting?) things you don't know about me
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:17 PM »
In fact, I'm generally pretty vanilla, which is why I have nothing to contribute.

this is the same with me...I have been thinking for days and haven't come up with one interesting thing yet

Lies. Everyone is interesting.

Oh, I know I'm interesting  ;). I just don't feel I have many particularly interesting details. It's more a collective thing. A personality thing. But I'll give it a go anyway.

1. I lived for two and a half years in Ankara, Turkey from beginning of '96 to mid-'98. While living there I went to a Department of Defense school called George C. Marshall. It was situated on a former American military base, and most all my friends were American, though the school was filled with many other nationalities due to all the children of parents who worked at the various embassies. I barely know a word of Turkish. I tend to believe that the constant watching Disney/other VHS movies brought from Canada were what eventually led me to my love of film.

2. I have had quite extensive dental work done over my relatively short life. While living in Turkey I had surgery done on my right incisor. That tooth was, in fact, two teeth. It was the incisor, plus an extra tooth which had grown fused to the main tooth. I had the "teeth" split apart, with the extra one removed, and a root canal done to let the one tooth live on its own.

I then wore braces for about a year to correct the location of that tooth. After not wearing braces for a couple years, it was decided that I needed full and proper orthodontic work done. This involved the pulling of four teeth to make more room, as well as the realization that the previous root canal had been botched and had become infected. Another root canal was done, which effectively rendered the tooth dead. i then wore braces for nearly 5 years before getting them taken off.

Now, a number of years after getting the braces out, it came time to see what should be done about that dead, unsightly incisor. My dentist figured all it would need was a crown, but he sent me to a consultation today to find out for sure that the tooth could support veneering. As it turns out, not only is the tooth incapable of supporting a crown, but the tooth, close to the bone, has remained infected. The tooth needs to be removed as soon as possible, which will require a bovine bone graft. I have that surgery, which will require full sedation (my first time, cool!) scheduled for November 4th, and hopefully, six months down the line, the graft will have set effectively and I will be able to have a dental implant. If not, then I will be stuck with either forms of bridges or dentures. Yay!

3. I once wrote a 140-page screenplay for an adaptation of the Monkey Island series. I later trimmed it down to 100 pages. It was mostly an adaptation of the third game in the series, but with a lot taken from the first game as a means of introduction to the world of Monkey Island. Unfortunately, I lost the only copy of that script when I forgot to copy it from the hard drive of my old computer, and then my dad threw that computer away. If you search online you should be able to find a much earlier, and much worse attempt at adapting the first game practically scene-for-scene. It shouldn't be very long, and it's obviously incomplete, but it's there somewhere.

4. In high school I mostly coasted right through, until grade 12 when that "coasting" was causing me to nearly fail. As a result I did not get into university and had to take an extra year. It sucked.

5. I always wear a watch. I never take it off. Never. I feel naked without my watch, and in my opinion it is the most important thing I own.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »

The tooth needs to be removed as soon as possible, which will require a bovine bone graft. I have that surgery, which will require full sedation (my first time, cool!) scheduled for November 4th, and hopefully, six months down the line, the graft will have set effectively and I will be able to have a dental implant. If not, then I will be stuck with either forms of bridges or dentures. Yay!

I have a dental implant too.  Mine is in the back of my mouth, so it isn't visible when I smile. It hurts waaaaay less than a root canal, so don't worry!
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 12:27:51 AM »

The tooth needs to be removed as soon as possible, which will require a bovine bone graft. I have that surgery, which will require full sedation (my first time, cool!) scheduled for November 4th, and hopefully, six months down the line, the graft will have set effectively and I will be able to have a dental implant. If not, then I will be stuck with either forms of bridges or dentures. Yay!

I have a dental implant too.  Mine is in the back of my mouth, so it isn't visible when I smile. It hurts waaaaay less than a root canal, so don't worry!
Root canal and fake front tooth here as well!
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:44 AM »
5.  My first presidential election vote was in 1984.  I voted for Reagan.  *blush*
He was the last president that had a pair so I don't know why you feel embarrassed about that.

After tangling with religion in the other thread I'm going to let that one lie.  I'll simply say that I voted for him because my parents were Republican and therefore I was Republican, just like they were white Irish-American Catholics and therefore so was I, and I knew nothing beyond that yet.  No matter who I would have voted for under those conditions, it is embarrassing to have voted knowing so little.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
I was a masked wrestler for a few years on an independent circuit and I wrote for an indie masked wrestling magazine.

I was a volunteer scuba diver for the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific here in California. Feeding the fish, being bullied by sharks and cleaning the exhibits.

I worked as a body piercer for almost three years. I have had 16 piercings at one time and a surgical stainless steel heart shaped chest implant which I removed for wrestling.

I would eat just about everything with my hands if it didn’t get me evil looks from so many people.

I think the way I want to live my personal life would be looked down upon by many modern progressive women.

Not sure what you mean by the last one but I'm hella impressed with the stuff you've done so far.  That is one interesting list.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:28 AM »
In fact, I'm generally pretty vanilla, which is why I have nothing to contribute.

this is the same with me...I have been thinking for days and haven't come up with one interesting thing yet

Lies. Everyone is interesting.

I was going to say the same thing.  I am fascinated by people and what they get passionate about and why they do what they do. 

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 01:57:11 AM »
Ima gonna challenge myself to post in this thread.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 06:02:57 AM »
I'd like to see you try.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »
I'd like to see you try.

I'd like to see you try.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »
What are you looking for out there, duder? Tell us!

love