love

Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85347 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
BTW, my definition of feminism: no one person should have power over another based solely on their gender. (Thank you Bell Hooks.)

Hmm, I believe technically that would align you with me as a humanist and not as a feminist.  :)

No need to get too deep into this if you don't want to, and trust me when I tell you I'm not questioning you on your feminist beliefs, but what would you say makes you a feminist as opposed to a humanist such as myself?

I don't know much about Humanism, but I'm assuming that the key difference is that feminism is focused on gender as a form of power where humanism involves a broader spectrum. What are the foundations of Humanism?

Humanism is an ethical foundation/system for atheists, agnostics, and other people of no faith. It is rooted in rationality and based on the simple premise that it is our responsibility to be/do good. I have been a long time member of several humanist organizations and the president of the Alberta Humanist Society for several years.

This is true, but as far as gender is concerned humanism preaches gender equality above all else. What separates it from feminism is that it's not concerned with the elevation of one gender to be equal with the other, the focus is on the belief that all genders should be equal to begin with.

I think its safe to say feminism is a part of humanism. While there is no "one" humanist platform most contain these basic ethical/political foundations:

-gender equality
-an adherence to natural law, altruism (i.e. murder, rape etc are wrong)
-pro choice
-right to die
-separation of church and state
-religious liberty
-anti-torture

Feminism preaches the elevation of one gender at the expense of another, it wants to achieve equality not because both genders deserve to be equal but simply because the female gender is currently viewed as lesser than the male gender. I can see why this movement took hold but I can't go along with it because for the most part I don't agree with the message or the methodology. I became a humanist because it approaches gender so differently than feminism, it simply wants the genders to be equal, it doesn't push one over the other or anything like that. It wants true equality, something that I often find feminism doesn't really want, it favors female elevation over actual equality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2009, 11:22:40 AM »
This conversation is reminding me of something  :)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
The reason I stick to my pretty basic definition of feminism (no one person should have power over another solely because of their gender) is because it strips it down to something that most people can agree on and leaves out implications of competition. It also opens the door so that men can be feminists and participate in the movement with the same agenda to end sexism.

"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »
(Thank you Bell Hooks.)
Hey, no capitalization.  :)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
(Thank you Bell Hooks.)
Hey, no capitalization.  :)

Someone capitalize e e cummings on their facebook status the other day. I threw a tantrum.

Althought Wikipedia tells me he preferred it to be capitalized  :-X
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:29:35 PM by StarCarly »
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Hmmmm....16 years old and not a great memory of pre Ireland life but, I'll give this a shot:

When I was four, my little brother died from a rare disease whose name I can't remember(The disease, my brother was Finlay). he was 2.

I don;t know if I mentioned this, but I lived in Boston until I was thirteen, when we moved to Dublin. I've been here three years.

I'll add more when I think of them.

Also, I once nearly got run over by a bus.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
When I was four, my little brother died from a rare disease whose name I can't remember(The disease, my brother was Finlay). he was 2.

For some reason I missed your original post.  I must ask, did your parents manage to stay together?  Statistics are not good for mariages where a kid dies young.  This must be something they still think of every single day - which must also have tough ramifications on you!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 04:25:00 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

For some reason I missed your original post.  I must ask, did your parents manage to stay together?  Statistics are not good for mariages where a kid dies young.  This must be something they still think of every single day - which must also have tough ramifications on you!

You know, It's funny you put it that way, because I've never looked at his death as that damaging(Not to mention that my dad's best friend died soon after). It's been a tragedy, but never destructive of our family in any way. Thankfully. We still have a very happy family.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »

You know, It's funny you put it that way, because I've never looked at his death as that damaging(Not to mention that my dad's best friend died soon after). It's been a tragedy, but never destructive of our family in any way. Thankfully. We still have a very happy family.

It's very good to hear :)   

And I'm sorry if I was being presumptuous at all.  My mom has six kids and still occasionally talks about the one still birth she had.
(switchboard)

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »
Everyone is so interesting.  Keep the lists coming.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love