Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85287 times)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
Re: Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
I somehow managed to miss this thread. Can't wait to go back and read them all.  I'll do more than 5 to make up for lost time

7. I dislocated my shoulder playing basketball in HS gym and to this day if I swing a bat or club, there's a good chance it will pop out.  In fact, it once popped out because someone gave me a high five.

I've dislocated both my shoulders multiple time from playing rugby, now it happens on occasion (last time I was serving in a tennis match, and it popped out), every time I put it back in, it makes me think of Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon.  My doctor told me if I want to reach my kitchen counters when I'm 50, I have to stop doing damage to my shoulders.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
Rugby injuries? You're badass, ses.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
5.  I seriously hope someone makes a film about The Silmarillion someday.   :) 
I always liked The Silmarillion. I probably like it more than LOTR. It's good stuff. Really good stuff.

I missed this - but I wanted to chime in and say I wholeheartedly agree! :)
Hey, nice marmot!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
2. I don't do "original"

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #254 on: November 02, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »
5. I really like Steven Soderbergh.
4. I go to USC.
3. Gee, well, I feel like you already know the rest.
A$AP Fables

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
4. I go to USC.
Actually, we already knew the prior.  We're interested in the rest.

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »
I think I mentioned this in my Election verdict but my sophomore and junior years of high school, I ran for class president against a popular girl.  I lost the first election in a landslide but won junior year, only to have my win overturned after it was discovered that a group of guys who disliked my competitor had stuffed ballots for me (I actually didn't like these guys at all).  This was all dealt with very quietly and I only found out what happened after the fact.

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »
4. I go to USC.
Actually, we already knew the prior.  We're interested in the rest.

Therein lies my attempt at humor.  :)
A$AP Fables

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2009, 06:51:57 AM »
Just one this time, and it's not something I consider fascinating or cool or anything like that, but it's a really personal thing that I don't talk about all that much.

1) I love dogs, I've had dogs all my life, but dogs die, and they die way too young. I never had to deal with my first dog dying because my mom was forced to give her up when we moved, nor did I have to deal with my Grandma's two dogs dying because she did the same thing when she moved. The first dog that I ever thought of as mine was Precious, and I had her for 14 years, and with her I was around till the very end. Since she was my dog I was tasked with being with her when she started to get sick a few years ago and when the vet decided it was in her best interests to be put down they said I could be in the room with her when she was put down. I didn't want my dog to be in that room with strangers so I agreed, and it was the hardest thing I ever did. No morbid details or anything like that, but they tried telling me what it would be like and I still wasn't ready for it. I don't think the nurses were ready to see a grown man who looks like a complete hard ass 99% of the time alone in a room holding his dead dog in his arms, balling like a two year old the entire time.

Sadly I realize I will probably have to go through this process again years down the line with Spot and then years later with my next dog, and then probably at least one more time after that. Like I said, not fascinating or cool, but it's one of the experiences in my life that sticks with me the most.

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »
Just one this time, and it's not something I consider fascinating or cool or anything like that, but it's a really personal thing that I don't talk about all that much.

1) I love dogs, I've had dogs all my life, but dogs die, and they die way too young. I never had to deal with my first dog dying because my mom was forced to give her up when we moved, nor did I have to deal with my Grandma's two dogs dying because she did the same thing when she moved. The first dog that I ever thought of as mine was Precious, and I had her for 14 years, and with her I was around till the very end. Since she was my dog I was tasked with being with her when she started to get sick a few years ago and when the vet decided it was in her best interests to be put down they said I could be in the room with her when she was put down. I didn't want my dog to be in that room with strangers so I agreed, and it was the hardest thing I ever did. No morbid details or anything like that, but they tried telling me what it would be like and I still wasn't ready for it. I don't think the nurses were ready to see a grown man who looks like a complete hard ass 99% of the time alone in a room holding his dead dog in his arms, balling like a two year old the entire time.

Sadly I realize I will probably have to go through this process again years down the line with Spot and then years later with my next dog, and then probably at least one more time after that. Like I said, not fascinating or cool, but it's one of the experiences in my life that sticks with me the most.

This just made my eyes well up a lot... seriously. I'm a cat person but I really love all animals. My Dad took my two cats who passed. I just couldn't do it. Ugh... now I'm all emotional.
"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

love