Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85325 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2009, 12:38:18 PM »
Just one this time, and it's not something I consider fascinating or cool or anything like that, but it's a really personal thing that I don't talk about all that much.

1) I love dogs, I've had dogs all my life, but dogs die, and they die way too young.

I 100% hear you on this Bill.  I was "lucky" (if you could call it that) that I went through the process with 2 dogs I wasn't very attached to first--one dog was found on the street, very elderly and apparently abandoned.  She was heartworm positive and couldn't survive the treatment for heartworms so we had the vet euthanize her.  I felt good that we had fed, watered her (she was very hungry and thirsty when found) and bathed so she wasn't stinky and covered in fleas anymore.  At least she didn't die in misery on the street. 

Then a senile schnauzer who was a permanent foster (unadoptable) had to be euthanized after living with us for a year and a half.  She was already showing clear dog dementia when we took her in, and developed more neurological conditions and got weaker as time went on.  We were out of town when things hit a crisis and our friend who was taking care of our dogs had to take her to the vet for us.  So I'd been present for the process with a dog I didn't really know, and mourned for a dog I cared more about but wasn't there for.

Which prepared me for the inevitable with the older of the first two dogs we adopted, Sammy.  He'd had Cushings for years and had become more and more of a little old man, sleeping 80-90% of the time, walking slowly, deaf and mostly blind, so we knew it was coming.  Still it was a very very sad day taking him to the vet and I vividly remember holding him in my lap during the ride and being in the room with him when the vet did the injection.  And yes, the two of us held him and cried for quite a while before we were ready to let go of him and go home.  He was 16 and we'd had him for 9 years.

And now the younger of the first two dogs we adopted, Tyler, is in that old man stage.  He is my favorite dog ever and he's still doing pretty well, even if he is stinky and sleeps most of the time, but I know the day isn't too far off and I dread it.

The only positive thing is that given our habit of taking in rescues and fosters, we'll never have to make the awful trek home to an empty silent house after one of those trips to the vet.  I don't think I could stand that.

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
I have had a total of 6 known concussions. The last time I had one it was really bad and my doctor told me "Quarterbacks retire after 5 concussions. Are you going to retire from life?"

I have brain damage. It killed my short term memory for about a year. I couldn't remember anything. There would be full cans of soda all over the house because I opened it, took a sip, sat it down and completely forgot it ever happened. I still have problems with my short term memory but not as bad as it use to be.

Good thing is people can tell me the same jokes over and over again and I still find them funny like it was the first time.  :)
"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »
[...]I have brain damage. [...]
This doesn't mean she wouldn't be attracted to me if she didn't have brain damage. I just want to be clear on that!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
How in the world have you managed to suffer so many concussions? Have you considered wearing a helmet, like everyday?

Seriously, concussions have repercussions.
Texan Down Under

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #264 on: November 03, 2009, 04:55:13 PM »
Well, yeah they have repercussions... I'm a walking, talking, not remembering what you just said proof of that. Some of the accidents were:

I had one concussion when I was about 15 or so when I was riding a skateboard, trying to do a kickflip off of some stairs. I was alone. I missed the landing and flew backwards hitting my head on the corner of the stairs.

I was punched in the face randomly at a gas station by some guy who must have been holding something in his hand.

One when I was practicing moonsaults from the top rope and some punk kid who was training hit the rope. I fell on the outside of the ring, just past the mat. Head on concrete is bad.

The last one was a bad car accident. They ran a red light, hit just behind where I was sitting. Not good.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #265 on: November 03, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »
Geez!  That's amazing.  I'm so sorry your poor head has been through so much.
Texan Down Under

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
« Reply #266 on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
Thanks. I'm okay. I just say "ummm. I don't remember" a lot.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #267 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:46 PM »
I still have yet to come up with 5 things about me that are even slightly interesting.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #268 on: November 03, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
I still have yet to come up with 5 things about me that are even slightly interesting.

Where does your obvious interest in art come from?  Are you an artist or connected to the art world in any way? 
Texan Down Under

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #269 on: November 03, 2009, 05:27:27 PM »

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Everyone is interesting.

love