Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85349 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »
Nothing beat the hour a day I got to watch my party die over and over again from dysentery, or get swept away in a river while playing The Oregon Trail on an archaic Mac back in grade school.   :)
Good times.  :)

Apple IIe for us.  For a time I taught this game to 7 classes of grade school students a day in the early 90's.  (I was living in NY at the time.  At the time I had no idea i'd be living in Oregon!)

How many people did you lose on the journey over?

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #331 on: November 18, 2009, 03:11:34 PM »
Nothing beat the hour a day I got to watch my party die over and over again from dysentery, or get swept away in a river while playing The Oregon Trail on an archaic Mac back in grade school.   :)

Apple IIe for us.  For a time I taught this game to 7 classes of grade school students a day in the early 90's.  (I was living in NY at the time.  At the time I had no idea i'd be living in Oregon!)

:D :D
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #332 on: November 18, 2009, 03:46:11 PM »
I started texting during mardi gras out of shear necessity. There is no way to hear anyone on the phone, and getting dropped happens all the time. It was much easier to just text the people you were meeting. Then when evacuating it was the only way you could get through most of the time.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »

Only the ones we had to eat.

All of us in Oregon have a cannibal story somewhere.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
0. I keep your fingerprints in a pink folder in the middle of my table.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #335 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:59 AM »
0. I keep your fingerprints in a pink folder in the middle of my table.

pixote

I thought it was a blue folder. Letting me down pixote.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
So I participated in a flash mob today. We found out this morning that there was going to be a flash mob/rave in the student union at ten and the three of us (the fourth apartmentmate decided not to go so that he wouldn't get arrested. Which is dumb.) went and it was pretty cool. Dunno how many people were there, but there were a lot. We had all the usual chant-y things including some school specific ones. There was a Tinkie-Winkie and a green man. Both crowd surfed and T-W even crowd surfed up a big flight of stairs. Two people jumped down from a second floor area that is about 30 feet higher than the ground floor. After that the thing was pretty quickly broken up. Don't think anybody actually got arrested, though. I'll post pictures and videos when I find/download them.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2009, 12:29:27 AM »
Cool and yes we need pictures.
Texan Down Under

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »
This is the first location. You can see me in the bottom right corner at around the 4 minute mark. You can also see me in the preview shot in the bottom middle/right area (below the right side of the play button in the middle) in the grey coat. Also, Tinkie-Winkie crowd surfing up the stairs.
UConn Rave Part 2

This is the second location. It's where the people jumped from. Quite a drop... Tinkie-Winkie and green man visible crowd surfing
Uconn flash mob rave 3
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »
I thought of another 5 facts:

fact #6
You know paper cuts, right? I managed to get a corn-cob-leaf-cut when I was around 10 years old. It tore the ring finger on my left hand wide open. I simply ripped a corn cob off the plant and did this in the perfect angle so the little hooks on the edge of the leaf ripped into my finger. I could see the tendon ... before the blood stared gushing out of the wound.

fact #7
I had over a dozen car breakdowns with around six different cars. I have never been in a car accident and but I’m sh*t out of luck with cars. It doesn’t matter if a friend lends me his car or if I use my own one, the car will eventually die on me. I’m the son of a car mechanic and he taught me how to treat a car nicely. It doesn’t matter, every car will die when I’m driving it.

fact #8
It has come to my attention that people have very different opinions about my temper. I’ve been told that I’m the calmest and most patient person to walk the earth, others say I have a bad temper and that I should try to do something about my anger issues.

fact #9
I speak four languages: German, Italian, French and English. You could count the dialects too then it’s six languages, add Leccese-dialect (south of Italy) and Swiss-German. I’m not sure if they count though because they are both only spoken and not written languages. Note: My French is a bit rusty. (don’t quote me out of context!)

fact #10
Ok, I need a dumb fact now to balance out fact #4 and to make sure I don’t come off as someone who’s full of himself. Let’s see, something dumb, shouldn’t be to hard. Oh, there you go: I used to do some photography and my girlfriend at the time asked me if I could take pictures on her grandmother’s 80th birthday. The whole family had gathered and there were around 50 people total. It was a chance of maybe getting a sympathy bonus from my girlfriend’s family. The vast majority of them didn’t particularly care for me and I figured with good pictures comes good will. I did my job, filled film after film (yes, analogue photography, does anyone remember?) and sent them to my favorite photo lab. A week went by, two weeks, nothing. I called and they never got my films. I was stupid enough to send all the films in the same box. My films were in the 0.01% of mail that gets lost every year. There is no photo evidence that gathering ever happened. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you piss off the entire family of your girlfriend.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"