love

Author Topic: Five fascinating things you don't know about me  (Read 85371 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Five fascinating things you don't know about me
« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2010, 12:37:55 AM »
I guess I'll take up this challenge.

1. I've got a wafer of donor bone, about the size of a couple quarters stacked, in my knee. I've not yet noticed any supernatural powers or distinct personality change. The Eye lies. Anyway, my knee had been hurting so I went to the doctor and they thought it was tendonitis. A few days later I was sitting down on the couch and I heard a pop and felt the worst pain of my life. A chunk of bone (that I would find out had the blood cut off and died over a long period of time) had broken off the end of my femur and gotten stuck in my knee, keeping my knee from straightening. It was stuck long enough that I still am lacking about 5° in straightening that leg, have a limp, was on crutches for three months at the time, off high impact for a year and am again after the graft took less well than anticipated. I hope to play tennis again someday.

2. Stickers make me gag on sight. I don't like looking at them and especially if they are on the ground as litter. I also try to avoid wearing nametags that are stickers.

3. I used to write video game reviews for a few now defunct websites as well as my uni paper, the former of which got me a couple free review copies and the later of which paid me marginally. A 'zine I produced four issues of in coordination with one site was featured in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly and I was quoted in the Wall Street Journal in an article about the GCN-GBA link.

4. I was accepted into Mensa. They didn't seem any smarter than any other group I've hung out with.

5. As a legislator on the student union while I was in grad school, I was bothered by the student fee increases being voted in so I offered an amendment to the budget to axe legislator stipends (which would be symbolic, negligible savings). It only got two votes. I think we need more politicians who have Asperger's-like characteristics.

6. I'm a cautionary tale for the online generation. I made a political joke on facebook but by fluke instead of going as a comment to my own status, it went as a comment on a post from my employer's "page" which happened to be right next to it. I "involuntarily resigned" for infringing their "bipartisan" spirit even though I'm unaffiliated. The self-censorship I now have to practice and the general stifling PC environment is killing me a bit inside. It is really infuriating that you can be a fantastic employee for over a year and one little fluke is enough to be pushed out.

7. Speaking of teeth (since it seemed a popular topic early in the thread)...I used to play french horn and was set to be first chair in the school band (and we were a really strong program). Then I needed braces. My orthodontist was the father of the kid who ended up beating me out for first chair. Eventually the braces wore down my nerves in my lips enough that I lost some precision and ended up giving up on the instrument at the end of HS. Apparently now they have removable braces.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:08:18 AM by Bondo »

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2010, 09:47:52 AM »
1. Never broken any part of my body. Never injured any part of my body. I even got my head hit with a huge rock and bled everywhere. I didn't need stitches.

2. I used to think that I could never really love old movies because I couldn't really "relate" to them. So dumb.

3. I don't know anything about cars. Don't like driving them, don't like dealing with them.

4. The best thing I did this summer was start playing soccer again. I missed it so much.

5. I have no memory of my father.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #382 on: August 20, 2010, 09:52:48 AM »
2. I used to think that I could never really love old movies because I couldn't really "relate" to them. So dumb.

I still think that, so what are you implying :D.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #383 on: August 20, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
1. Never broken any part of my body. Never injured any part of my body. I even got my head hit with a huge rock and bled everywhere. I didn't need stitches.

Directed by M. Night Shayamalan

Directed by Peter Bogdonovitch

3. I don't know anything about cars. Don't like driving them, don't like dealing with them.

Directed by Woody Allen

4. The best thing I did this summer was start playing soccer again. I missed it so much.

Walt Disney Pictures Presents

5. I have no memory of my father.

Directed by Stephen Spielberg

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #384 on: August 21, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »
Keith, Brilliant!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #385 on: August 22, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
This topic is heavy.

pangea

• Why'd we have to drift apart?
« Reply #386 on: August 22, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »
What a neat thread. Fascinating is right.

I’d like to do my part to keep it alive.

1. I was born and raised as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. To a certain extent, I still am. I go through the motions just so I won’t break my parents heart and lose my closest friends. These past couple years have been an internal war. My faith in the idea of God and the Bible has been completely upturned. I sincerely believe almost nothing the Witnesses believe. I don’t know what to do. Nearly everyone I know and love - wonderful, intelligent, kind people - think I believe in something I don’t and depend upon me to do so. It’s tearing my life apart. And no one knows.

2. Last summer I rode my bike from to border of Iowa to Canada, through the entire length of Minnesota.

3. The most fulfilling romantic relationship of my life was probably in the 6th grade. I had a major crush on this adorable Bosnian girl. She would often choose to work with me and it touched me very much. It was completely innocent. I think there might be a correlation between that aspect and it’s greatness.
Last semester at school, my Chemistry lab partner was this very pretty girl. She was smart and almost unbearably kindhearted. I made her laugh and we talked about a lot while mostly ignoring the Chemistry teacher. We talked about what our duty is to the impoverished, and really connected. Then I found out that she is incredibly religious and loves Jesus very much. My entire life up to this point has been undoing my personal belief in what she believes. On the last day of class I wrote her a nice letter and I’ll probably never see her again.

4. I haven’t eaten an animal since I was 16. (I’m 18.)

5. No matter what I say, I am grateful for each and every day. The long leaves on the tree outside my window are bobbing very gently right now and it just kills me. I would go through all the pain and heartache in the world just to watch the sunrise.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:48:45 PM by pangea »
If one is not half mad how can one give birth to a dancing star? -Nietzsche

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #387 on: August 22, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Pangea, I completely understand what you are going through.  I consider myself very spiritual and still a Christian, but I've broken away from the sect of Christianity my family grew up in.  My parents did too, so it was easier, but its put a strain on a number of relationships.

I'm wrecked and need to rest my brain, so I figured this would be relaxing...

1.  I hate the telephone.  I like 1 to 1 conversations, they're way better.

2.In high school my grandmother set me up with one of her friend's grand daughters.  I didn't know it was a set up, but we did date for a time.  We were teamed up over a game of Cranium.  It was pretty cool.

3.We recently had to kick my mother's parents out of our house after they lived with us for 15 years.  It was one of the hardest and most traumatizing moments in my life, but they were to bitter vile people who were desperately trying to break up my parent's marriage and blaming them for the demise of my aunt and uncle's marriage.  We live 12 hours from my aunt and uncle and at the time hadn't seen them or really spoken to them in several years.  It was strange and weird.

4.Theater experiences where the cast interact with the audience are NOT my thing.  It stresses me out.

5.At one time I thought very hard about going into seminary and becoming a minister.  But after meeting with a number of ministers and talking it over with my grandfather (a minister of over 30 years) I decided against it.  My grandfather was a great man with the skills and talents to lead a flock, because more than any minister he was a servant.  Most of the others I met with seemed to fix themselves as parasites on their congregations.  I could see that being too easy a fate for me and steered clear.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #388 on: August 22, 2010, 09:13:30 PM »
My 5 things....which will be rather simple because all y'all know about me now are my favorite films, age, location, etc.

1. I've lived in three of the hottest places in the US (Orlando, Las Vegas, Austin).

2. I can do quite a few impersonations (my favorites being Katharine Hepburn, Michael Caine, and Corky St. Clair)

3. I am an atheist who goes to a catholic school....oh the irony.

4. I am named after my father....so I am a junior.

5. Sadly, I have never had a girlfriend.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »
Phoenix is hotter than all of them. ;)
Hey, nice marmot!