2 (11.1%)
I've seen a couple and want to see more
7 (38.9%)
I've seen a lot but I don't like it
2 (11.1%)
I've seen a lot and I love them
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: What's Your Bollywood Background?  (Read 2482 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: What's Your Bollywood Background?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »
Thanks Bondo, I just posted my question and found your answer on the 30 day challenge thread. I'll definitely add Swades to my queue. The songs that were difficult for me in Bride and Prejudice were the ones that were repetitive and too sugary for my taste. I loved the colors and the exuberance of the show though. And, I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful woman than Aishwarya Rai. Regarding the casting part: My sister-in-law's brother lived in Korea for some years and spoke Korean fluently. He had many acting opportunities, but they continually asked him to speak and act poorly. So it's always made me wonder how bad, the bad actors are in certain movies.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:53 AM »
I've seen two and would like to see more.

The two I've seen were Request (Guzaarish) and Sometimes Happiness, Sometimes Sadness (Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham).

EDIT: And if Bride and Prejudice counts, that as well. My favorite film from an Indian director however is Mira Nair's The Namesake.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:51:22 AM by StudentOFilm »
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:26 PM »
I've only seen the Bollywood that Bondo and I did our marathon on together.  I don't know if that counts as "a couple" or "a lot".  But I certainly want to see more, especially Mother India and My Name is Khan.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Forgive my cultural ignorance, but I dont know if Ive seen one.

I watched some Ray and some Metha, but I dont know if those fit into the Bollywood definition

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »

I watched some Ray and some Metha, but I dont know if those fit into the Bollywood definition

No, I wouldn't classify either of those as having made true Bollywood (well, I don't have a deep knowledge of Ray), though Mehta's Bollywood/Hollywood (like Bride and Prejudice) is Bollywood inspired and would give some indication of Bollywood film.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Never seen one, unless Slumdog counts, but I don't count that, so yeah. Also, little interest in anything that isn't Chance Pe Dance.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 03:54:46 PM »
I liked Monsoon Wedding a lot. Colourful, charming, sort of cheerful and a bit of fresh air, something that stuck out. But I suppose it's not a Bollywood production in its true sense, even if it certainly carries most of the ingredients I would expect from such a movie, including romance and a lot of dancing.

http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

srini

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »

Bollywood generally stands for studio films made in Mumbai (erstwhile Bombay -> Bombay+Hollywood = Bollywood) in Hindi language. So, all those Ray films (vast majority of them in Bengali language) don't count as Bollywood. In addition, you may safely omit the indie productions of the last decade, that have tried to disassociate themselves from formulaic themes, from the Bollywood label. Mehta is a non-resident of Indian origin. Her films are not big studio productions in India.