Author Topic: Corndog's Less Prestigous and Less Classy Disney Marathon  (Read 34642 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Corndog's Less Prestigous and Less Classy Disney Marathon
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:29:18 PM »
I really feel guilty about this even though I shouldn't, but seeing as I am watching 2 films a week on the marathon, I find it reasonable to branch off into my own marathon. I will join discussion in the other one wherever possible, but I think this just makes more sense for me. So again, here is the film list, and we may add a few, like A Goofy Movie for instance (A DisneyToon production):

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
2. Pinocchio (1940)
3. Fantasia (1940)
4. Dumbo (1941)
5. Bambi (1942)
6. Saludos Amigos (1942)
7. Three Caballeros (1944)
8. Make Mine Music (1946)
9. Fun And Fancy Free (1947)
10. Melody Time (1948)
11. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
12. Cinderella (1950)
13. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
14. Peter Pan (1953)
15. The Lady and the Tramp (1955)
16. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
17. One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
18. The Sword and the Stone (1963)
19. Mary Poppins (1964)
20. The Jungle Book (1967)
21. The Aristocats (1970)
22. Robin Hood (1973)
23. The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
24. The Rescuers (1977)
25. The Fox and the Hound (1981)
26. The Black Cauldron (1985)
27. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
28. Oliver & Company (1988)
29. The Little Mermaid (1989)
30. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
31. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
32. Aladdin (1992)
33. The Lion King (1994)
34. Pocahontas (1995)
35. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
36. Hercules (1997)
37. Mulan (1998)
38. Tarzan (1999)
39. Fantasia 2000 (1999)
40. Dinosaur (2000)
41. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
42. Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
43. Lilo & Stitch (2002)
44. Treasure Planet (2002)
45. Brother Bear (2003)
46. Home on the Range (2004)
47. Chicken Little (2005)
48. Meet the Robinsons (2007)
49. Bolt (2008)
50. The Princess & The Frog (2009)
51. Tangled (2010)

Ranking
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:29:20 PM by Corndog »
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Corndog's Less Prestigous and Less Classy Disney Marathon
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
Pinocchio (Hamilton Luske & Ben Sharpteen, 1940) -

Pinocchio is a wonder of a film. The opening song, "Wish Upon a Star," is unforgettable, as is the opening sequence featuring Jiminy Cricket, my favorite character in the film (I mean he does deliver the line: "What does an actor want with a conscience anyway?") He opens as the narrator and sets the scene at Geppetto's shop, which is the greatest scene in the film and one of my favorite maybe of all time. The entire sequences of him putting his newly finished Pinocchio, Cleo, and Figaro (who is also awesome) to bed, wishing upon the star and when the Blue Fairy comes down and makes Pin'oke a real boy. Every bit of it is true magic. Perfect and wonderful. It is so beautiful and happy and the animation is great.

But then evil appears and that is where I started to like it less. I disliked all the bad guys, and not in the sense that they were bad guys but the way they were done. Stromboli was just awful and the creepy Pleasure Island guy. How was I not scarred by this and him turning them into jackasses? The message was very in your face in this during this part of the story. I get it, but didn't like how it was done. If you do bad things and are a bad person, you are a jackass. And then the whole whale thing was just off to me, I didn't hate it, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. There were small, specific things during this part that were good and made me smile ("Hey, get a load of that stained glass window."), but overall it didn't work.

The magic is all there to be sure, but it starts to lack too soon and for too long. I didn't like it as much as I remembered it, but I still appreciated it a great deal. A whole extra half star goes for the opening.

Rating: 3.5/4

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:33 PM »
Cinderlla (Hamilton Luske, Wilfred Jackson & Clyde Geronomi, 1950) -

Here is your simple, traditional love story. Cinderella is a girl who has it tough. Her family has made her their maid and there seems to be little hope for a future. Despite that, she is in high spirits and has dreams, as professed in the first song which is great. Then she bumps into a Fairy Godmother, meets Prince Charming, and falls in love. Like I said very simple and very straight forward. It ends and it's over, nothing complicated about the story or the ending, just cut and dry. I haven't quite decided yet if that is a strength or a weakness. Immediately after finishing it, I though it a weakness, but given some time to think about it, I am leaning towards it being brilliant. Why shouldn't a great story be so simple also?

I liked the mice in it, but I didn't love them. I was thrown off by how much time was spent with them and Lucifer, the cat. It reminded me somewhat of Tom & Jerry, my favorite cartoon, but not what I consider a Disney feature length film. Jacques and Gus Gus had their moments certainly. They were funny, especially Gus Gus, and the other mice when they made Cinderella her dress for the ball was my favorite scene in the film. The fact that it proceeded to be ripped off of her was saddening, but powerful at the same time. It was quite clear how her sisters felt about her because of this scene. The scene at the ball was great. Great animation. The magic was quite literal this time with the fairy godmother and the power of that glass slipper. So classic still. And in the end I think it is because of the great simplicity of the story, yet how magical it becomes.

Rating: 3.5/4

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »
Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronomi, Wilfred Jackson & Hamilton Luske, 1951) -

I actually have no recollection of seeing this in my childhood. I imagine I did, but I don't remember. That is one of the reasons I am joining up in this marathon. I need to refresh my memory on the greatness of Disney Animation Studios, or at least see if they all hold up. My friend had suggested we watch some of the old Disney films and we started here because it was her favorite as a child. She went home and scoured for Disney films and she found some and so my resources will be deep enough, though I may have to find some of them in other ways. I have talked to a few friends who have said that they have almost all of them which is great.

So the film. Like I said in my mini review it was an interesting experience. It was a kaleidoscope of colors and filled with whimsical escapades. Okay, you caught me, those were phrases taken from the back cover of the VHS, but they do describe it pretty well. It opens on Alice starting to daydream during a History lesson from what I believe to be her sister according to the credits, I may be wrong. My favorite line of the film is delivered here. Alice proclaims, "In my world, the books would be nothing but pictures." This line describes me and my love of film and I'm sure many others. I don't like reading books, I love stories though, so film is perfect for me, just as that line is perfect. She daydreams a white rabbit wearing a vest and she follows him down the rabbit hole for what reason other than curiosity I don't know. She then falls into a world called 'Wonderland'.

At this point the story kind of goes wherever it wants to. We've already been trusted with Alice following a talking rabbit down a hole and falling through an oblivion and ending up in a strange hallway, so in that sense, if you trust it enough, this film doesn't do anything crazy. I just didn't trust it enough, and maybe the problem was I am an "adult" now. I always told myself I would always be a child, but one can't help growing up in some ways. The transitions between scenes and occurrences I just didn't entirely buy, but it is Alice's dream, and she can do with it as she pleases. It ends suddenly, but it was a dream, how many dreams end smoothly and timely?

The colors, characters, and songs were wonderful to see and hear. There were some creations that I didn't like. The Cheshire Cat is quite creepy, and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum are a strange pair, though I rather enjoyed their story. And lastly the whole trial with the Queen of Hearts was somewhat disinteresting to me because it was a dream, so it didn't mean anything. I guess at this point, we, the viewer, aren't necessarily supposed to know it's a dream, but knowing that it was the trial carried no stakes to me. Overall, very imaginative and a pleasure to watch, but nothing overly impressive here. Although I did almost talk myself into an extra half star just by typing this review...almost.

Rating: 2.5/4

P.S. Loved the line, "Don't just do something, stand there!" too :).  Also, the line where the baby flower proclaims, "I think she's pretty." Just adorable.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
Peter Pan (Clyde Geronomi, Hamilton Luske & Wilfred Jackson, 1953) -

This was always a boyhood favorite of mine, though I didn't remember much of it, but the story itself is one that I will love for all time. It's one of those things, like Robin Hood, that will never get old and I love seeing every adaptation of the story. It is so magical. The opening scene is probably my favorite, it gave me goosebumps this time watching it again. John and Michael battling, Nana picking everything up, Peter trying to find his shadow, then the kids learning how to fly. So wonderful, and the song is great. I especially love when Michael gives Nana fairy dust and she flies in the air to the point that she can, since she is roped to a tree, so awesome. Then of course we are treated to the amazing world of Neverland and a host of other characters that include Smee, the Lost Boys, Princess Tigerlilly, and of course Captain Hook. They are all such good characters. A film, and a story, that will never get old.

Rating: 4/4

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
The Lady and the Tramp (Clyde Geronomi, Hamilton Luske & Wilfred Jackson, 1955) -

I had no recollection of this at all. Going in that was a good experience. The dogs were all so adorable, especially as puppies and I loved how they talked like where the breed was from. Especially liked Old Trusty and Jacques, a great duo. However, I was not that enamored by the story, it was oh so simple and oh so typical. It was touching and heartfelt, but I didn't feel it this time. The animation was nice and I don't think there was anything I necessarily disliked, there just wasn't enough there to win me over really. Still a Disney Classic of course.

Rating: 2.5/4

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
Beauty and the Beast (Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise, 1991) -

The only animated film to be nominated for Best Picture. I'm not sure it was deserving, having not seen much from the year, especially two of the other nominees, but I do know that I love this film. You want Disney magic? You got it here. Some may say typical "princess" fairy tale Disney, but I say they did it original and they did it right. The characters, the imagery, the storytelling are all top-notch here. They really pulled everything out and kicked off a great run of animated films with this one. We get our first look of computer animation with the dance scene too. I didn't know it was there, but when I saw it I definitely recognized it, in a good way, it was great. Belle is a great role model character. She is smart, not shallow, and a beautiful young lady and most importantly she is loving. The Beast on the other hand needs to learn, and learn he does. And it comes with the help of his servants, who have also been transformed. Chip and Lumiere are my favorite. They are all so great though. Just a very fun, enjoyable watch. I hadn't seen it in forever, hopefully the time between viewings this time isn't as long.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
I really enjoyed your Alice in Wonderland review Corndog. I can't say the film swept me off my feet either. 2.5/4 was roughly my experience too.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:44 AM »
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (David Hand, 1938) -

Once again a Disney movie I can't recall seeing, though I'm sure I did. What a great experience this film was. To think that it was made in 1938 is astounding to me. Sure there are some obvious things in the animation that make it sub-par by today's standards, but some of that is what added to the magic of it for me. Seeing the old animation, which by all accounts was pretty good by the way, made the film more romantic to me. Whether that's a fair additive critique-wise I don't really care because it made the experience for me better.

I am not the kind of person who can rattle off the names of all the Dwarfs, though I might pull it off now, but getting to know these little men over the course of the film was amazing. Each one was a great character and someone I liked. My favorite was Bashful, followed closely by Dopey, but to say I had a least favorite one would be a shame because I loved them all. I loved Snow White too. She is so wonderful. The Queen on the other hand, I don't know how much to say about her and her mirror on the wall. I thought there would be more of them, but really they didn't have a lot of time on screen. They were basically there to create stakes in this story about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was fine by me, I just liked spending time with all of them.

It was clear, watching this as a grown-up, the obvious "life lessons" of the film. There were many times when Snow White had to teach the dwarfs proper manners or what not. I actually appreciated these, I thought it was great. And they meshed it with the story seamlessly enough that it didn't affect the flow. There were also some terrifying moments in the film too. When Snow White first enters the forest, that scene is scary. And the fact that the Queen is having Snow White killed, telling the huntsman to bring her heart back in a box, that's gruesome. And when the Dwarfs first encounter Snow White, they think she is a monster and are going to kill "it". Pretty tense stuff for little kids, but don't worry, I'm not one of those people who says that it will make kids bad or anything, just commenting. I actually liked it, but then again I'm a grown-up. But I do see the forest scene being a good thing to set the stakes for children anyway. Snow White is off to some foreign, scary land, running away from her wicked step-mother Queen.

The animals were wonderful creations too. The raccoons were adorable, as was every other little creature of the forest. That is why the animation was so great, all the little creations and characters were so warm, cute, and lively. A true achievement in film, outside the fact that it was the "first feature length animated film". This is something I would revisit multiple times down the road, with or without kids, but especially with kids.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 09:36:19 PM »
Fantasia (Tons of 'em,1940) -

I was bored to tears by this. I love animation and I love music, classical music too. It can be so beautiful. But in this case it didn't work for me at all. The animation, though beautiful to look at, was meandering and failed to tell an interesting story to me. If you take the two parts and look at them on their own they are great achievements. The music is stirringly beautiful and sometimes haunting and the animation is cutting edge for the time and imaginative. However, when you couple to two it bored me. They don't go well together. If I wanted to listen to that music I could do it without sitting in front of a screen watching the animation and the animation would go well in shorts, but strewn together as a movie with the music behind it, it just gets long winded and boring. The final sequence was quite terrifying as well, I was surprised at how dark it was. Even my friends were saying they wanted to turn it off and get to the next one in the marathon. But we powered through because I am a completionist.

Rating: 1.5/4

love