love

Author Topic: Incendiary  (Read 1116 times)

bb6634

Incendiary
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:21:55 PM »
Incendiary is a 2008 UK film written and directed by Sharon McGuire, based on the novel by Chris Cleave.  Stars Michelle Williams and Ewan McGregor.  This one caught me by surprise.  Never heard of it, and it looks like it will get a DVD release sometime in later this year.  I saw it through, ah...  other means.  It follows the aftermath of a terrorist attack on a English soccer arena during a game.  Michelle William's character, whose husband and five year old son are at the game,  not only sees the attack happen live on television, watches it while cheating on her husband with neighbor McGregor.  
 The film follows several tangents: she discovers the son of one of the terrorists and becomes obsessed with the son, who she uses as a partial substitute for her dead son.   There is a vague conspiracy plot regarding how much the government knew about the attack, were expecting it.  And there is her relationship with the McGregor character who is a reporter.
 Now not all of this works.  Much of it seems too contrived.  Yet, I was dumbstruck at how good Michelle Williams is.  I think if anyone had told me five years ago that one of the best American actress working was the girl from Dawson's Creek I would have laughed.  Not now.  She is phenomenal and grounds the film, makes all of contrivances if not believable at least believable in the moment.  There is a rawness and willingness in her performances to put herself right out there emotionally and physically, that reminds me a little of Charlotte Gainsborough in AntiChrist.
 The movie itself is very watchable and works, at least on an emotional level.   If you can get a hold of the film (I believe it is already on DVD on the UK) I recommend it, if only for Michelle Williams.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 02:42:21 AM by bb6634 »

love