love

Author Topic: 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days  (Read 5100 times)

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
Re: 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
This is a terrific film. Anamaria Marinca is stunning in her central role, and the gradual way the opening sequences show you the grim reality of everyday llife alongside her even grimmer situation is tremendous. Matty and Adam spoke last week about wanting films to SHOW the backstory / environment rather than clunky spoken exposition. This film is a classic example of how to do it well.

The 'doctor' is also fantastic - really menacing and manipulative. The 'banality of evil' really applies to this film for me, not necessarily any one character, but the entire society and state apparatus. Every detail is covered, squashed and controlled. Tremendous.

Good points. I also immediately thought of 4 Months when Adam and Matty were dissing Taken's first 30mins.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »
Friendly reminder: Don't forget about 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days when submitting your 2008 Filmspots ballot.

(my half-assed lobbying effort) 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
Friendly reminder: Don't forget about 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days when submitting your 2008 Filmspots ballot.

(my half-assed lobbying effort) 

To quote Pappa Bear: "I can't do it. CINECAST!in' thing sucks."

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
I don't know that it shows women getting raped.  It does show women prostituting themselves, however.  There's a big enough difference for irony to slide in there.

Do you seriously think at that point the women had any choice but to do as the doctor asked?  He had them dead to rights.  If sex had been brought up as part of the payment before they got to the hotel that would be different, but he knew he had all the power in the situation and exploited it fully.  I think the tyranny of the system they live under is well established by the point they get to the hospital and their choice once in the room is sex with the doctor or jail.  That's rape in my book.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »
Eh, if you want to think about it that way, I won't say you're wrong.

That just makes the comedy that much darker, I guess.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
Ha!   :D

love