Author Topic: An Education  (Read 6443 times)

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Re: An Education
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2009, 11:21:35 PM »

Being a father I indentified with Alfred Molina as the father. A terrific performance. After he is exposed as the typical father of teh time who only wants his daughter taken care of rather than getting her a good education I was rooting for his comeback scene and I got it when he brings Jenny tea and biscuits. Molina brings out the emotion of the father who knows he has failed this time in his job as protector. The lines where he lets Jenny know he knows she lied about meeting C.S Lewis were tremendous. He let's her know his hurt at his daughter having deceived him as well as the older man.

I really did love the tea and biscuits scene. The language is slightly critical, but Molina's demeanor is completely apologetic, he presents the entire situation Jack is facing so well.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

TaylorRoesch

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »
Quote from: FLYmeatwad on November 21, 2009, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: chardy999 on November 21, 2009, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: FLYmeatwad on November 21, 2009, 09:09:20 AM
The voice over at the end bothered me, in fact the end was terrible, but I was more upset by the philosophy that such an ending advances. I can't get behind that shit. It needed suicide.

Advances? What do you mean?

The idea that no matter how bad you CINECAST! up, if you by some chance realize what your doing is wrong at the very last minute it will all turn out perfectly. It sets unrealistic expectations that clash with the harsh reality of the rest of the film.

I earnestly agree.  The last ten minutes came out of another film.  They could still have her getting into Oxford but gone about it in an entirely different way.  The scene with her teacher towards to end was short but great.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12:56 PM »
Quote from: FLYmeatwad on November 21, 2009, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: chardy999 on November 21, 2009, 09:16:06 AM
Quote from: FLYmeatwad on November 21, 2009, 09:09:20 AM
The voice over at the end bothered me, in fact the end was terrible, but I was more upset by the philosophy that such an ending advances. I can't get behind that shit. It needed suicide.

Advances? What do you mean?

The idea that no matter how bad you CINECAST! up, if you by some chance realize what your doing is wrong at the very last minute it will all turn out perfectly. It sets unrealistic expectations that clash with the harsh reality of the rest of the film.

I earnestly agree.  The last ten minutes came out of another film.  They could still have her getting into Oxford but gone about it in an entirely different way.  The scene with her teacher towards to end was short but great.

I really think they should have just cut from that scene with Jenny and Ms. Stubbs to Jenny at Oxford. The in-between could have been explained in a line or two.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:59:11 PM by gateway »
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 09:05:39 AM »
initially i had a problem with the ending but as time passed and i thought more about it i liked it. when she receives the acceptance letter and just goes and sits by herself she had a "woah! that was close!" look on her face. like when your car slides on the ice but stops two feet away from causing a major accident. that's what she was doing in the movie, driving to fast and then sliding on the ice. she pulled out in time to cause any major damage.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 11:05:03 AM »
initially i had a problem with the ending but as time passed and i thought more about it i liked it. when she receives the acceptance letter and just goes and sits by herself she had a "woah! that was close!" look on her face. like when your car slides on the ice but stops two feet away from causing a major accident. that's what she was doing in the movie, driving to fast and then sliding on the ice. she pulled out in time to cause any major damage.

Exactly. It's not that hard to imagine a young person making a big mistake that later works out. Take me for example;

I was on the honour roll through grade 9 but when I got into high school I found partying and quickly went from an A student to a C student. I barely got into community college. I am about to finish my PhD.

I dont think this kind of thing is uncommon at all.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »

Exactly. It's not that hard to imagine a young person making a big mistake that later works out. Take me for example;

I was on the honour roll through grade 9 but when I got into high school I found partying and quickly went from an A student to a C student. I barely got into community college. I am about to finish my PhD.

She didn't just get into community college, she got into CINECAST!ing Oxford!

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »

She didn't just get into community college, she got into CINECAST!ing Oxford!

I think you missed the point!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2009, 01:50:54 PM »

I think you missed the point!

Well that's hardly ever the case.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
lol.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 03:18:27 PM »
It's Oxford! The point being made is that you can do what she did and still work your way back to the level of success you were primed to potentially achieve. But she doesn't lose anything. There's no years spent grinding out lower level classes and experiences locally in hopes that she will one day get back to where she was, she gets into Oxford University. Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't the perception of Oxford in England like the equivalent of how people in the States perceive Ivy League colleges? Compare that to the perception of community colleges in the States. One is common and open, the other is prestigious and exclusive. I'm under the impression that Oxford is considered the latter. One would imagine the demands to get into such a school are incredibly rigorous, yet in the film we see Mulligan drop everything and still get into Oxford. Hell, I should have applied there if I knew they were that willing to accept people.