Author Topic: General Sports Talk  (Read 3866 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: General Sports Talk
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »

We found a backdoor to Europe!
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »
Now for Wolves to win the Europa League and get themselves back into Europe after Arsenal's win put them out.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
I had to google it just to figure out what Arsenal won.  ;D ;D ;D

I can never tell who is good in the Europa League, but Man United has been tearing it up, so I'd suspect they're the favorites(?). I know nothing about Inter or Sevilla besides that the latter like playing Liverpool.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »
I expect ManU are favorites, but Inter, Leverkusen, Wolves and Roma/Sevilla are legitimate enough teams. Inter just barely fell short in Serie A (though being one point behind Juve flatters them a bit). ManU, Inter and Sevilla are already guaranteed Champions League action I believe, so the others might be hungrier.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 12:40:07 AM »
You guys have better check on European football than I do. ;D
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2020, 02:30:38 AM »
I want Liverpool to challenge more in the cups, but EPL and UCL are really all I think about at this point. If we could increase squad depth with some veterans, it'd help for the cups a lot.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 06:04:51 PM »
Ok, first time on this thread, was an interesting read…. While is says general sports talk, it seems all focus was on teams. 

For those,
When I use to watch hockey…
Montreal Canadians in the late 70’s when they dominated
NY Islanders in the early 80’s when they dominated

Tennis:
Bjorn Borg - late 70s
John McEnroe 1979-1983
Steffi Graf 1987-1988
Martina Hingis 1996 -2000

Now Emma Raducanu for an amazing feat of winning the US open when she only got in the tournament as a Qualifier.  She has stumbled in a couple of tournaments since but looking looking forward to the Australian Open coming up early next year

I went to a couple live tennis matches in a local Chicago tournament/exhibition in the 1980’s and managed to see McEnroe play Connors; but was bummed as Connors had beat Borg the previous match so I missed a McEnroe vs Borg match.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 08:38:40 PM »
Seeing a reply again on this got me to read the first page of the thread again, it really is quality stuff. Just about every team people threw out there brings back vivid memories. When it comes to culture, sports and hip-hop are the only things I know thoroughly that can bring back such clear memories.

I didn't even touch tennis, and I grew up going to the tennis club every weekend from about 5 years old to 11 years old, and then regularly again in high school, though we lived a bit further away. All we did there was play and watch tennis (with a little college football thrown in there).
Bjorn Borg - I'm a bit too young
McEnroe - That's around the time I was born. He was still playing when I got into it, but it wasn't his peak.
Steffi Graf I remember for sure. My tennis coach had a crush on her. When she was on her game, she was so unbeatable it actually became a bit boring, but she had the total package. Btw, I was little, so my tennis crush was Jennifer Capriati.
Martin Hingis - Legit. You like the surgical/cerebral type of players. Well, except for McEnroe.

Given your love for some bonkers and rather violent films, I'm surprised you didn't list Monica Seles.

My tennis heroes:
Michael Chang - But why? He only won one Grand Slam, and it was when I was 7. It was the lobs. From a young age, I loved to hit lobs and just run all over the court. He was elite in those areas and I just thought he was the best to watch.

Pete Sampras - I only really appreciated him when he started to decline. I saw him play an opening round match at center court at the US Open, and we were only in there for like an hour and a half. He just dispatched his opponents. I liked him over Agassi because at the time the flair didn't really impress me, and also my dad was a huge Agassi fan, and a lot of teams and players I rooted for were just to oppose him, lol.

Serena and Venus Williams - They were at that same US Open as teenagers, playing doubles together on one of the small side courts. We watched them, and while they weren't spectacular at doubles at the time, you just watched their best points and thought, no one will be able to beat them when they figure it out. Then they did.

My problem with tennis is that I get bored with the domination of individual players. The Williams sisters never got boring because I love their story so much and think they're phenomenal people. Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal are all pretty boring, though. Nadal has some flair, but none of them really interest me. I should start watching again a bit more, though. I should start playing again, too.

The Raducanu story is just wild because she did the impossible. Leicester City winning the Premier League in 2016 is still probably the least probable thing to happen in the sports that I follow, but Emma and Leicester and pretty neck and neck. (Tom Brady becoming the greatest QB of all-time might beat them both. Hmm.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:40:59 PM by Eric/E.T. »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
I’m team Rafa Nadal and Kim Clijsters. Guess Chang was probably in their realm of players who ran like crazy, but he obviously didn’t quite reach the same level for as long.

Going a bit further back, I liked Connors and Agassi.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 10:34:14 PM »
Michael Chang had one of the greatest matches in history against Ivan Lendl in the 89 French Open Semi finals.  I remember watching it, maybe go back and watch it again on YT

I get the being bored a bit when only a few people dominate but then there is also something about somebody being so much on top of the game that they can dominate a sport for a period.  Maybe it happens to often in tennis where there usually is only 2 or 3 that win just about everything for many years.

One of my favourite to watch in Hsieh Su-wei from Taiwan.  She didn’t ever make it to the top in Singles; reaching 23 but won a lot of the doubles Grand slams and been ranked #1.  But her style of play is not like any other player that she is a fun to watch.

For some reason, links to YT don’t seem to work for me, so I try or you can fix my broken link for a highlight real

https ://youtu.be/Fx8r3f4ecLE

https://youtu.be/Fx8r3f4ecLE

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman