Author Topic: NBA  (Read 89951 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: NBA
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
I started following the NBA again two years ago and haven't regretted it.

Except for, you know, my team getting hijacked out of town.

The quality of the games is much better than it was 10 years ago.  The style of play is more exciting (more scoring, more passing) and the players are better.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »
I'm still strictly a playoff guy. I devote my time to regular season hockey, both NHL, AHL and any other pro leagues I manage to see from time to time, and football. I wait till the playoffs to pay attention to the NBA, and then it's only for the Bulls, as soon as they are gone I'm done.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »
So . . . not much NBA for you this decade, eh?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
So . . . not much NBA for you this decade, eh?

Nope, about four years and SportsCenter highlights I believe.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
The day the Grizzlies left Vancouver, they took a little piece of me with them. Abdur-Rahim!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
Rockets can be better, but considering they are playing well without Yao and T-Mac I am very pleased. Scola and Brooks are great. If Hayes starts being a bit more aggressive he'll be a great anchor as well. Needs to shoot FTs better. That defeat against the Suns the other night sucked though, we controlled the game just about three quarters and then Fun and Gun started going off.

My fantasy team sucks so hard. Troy Murphy, Chris Paul, and Eric Gordon are all down and it's hurting.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
The day the Grizzlies left Vancouver, they took a little piece of me with them. Abdur-Rahim!

Big Country!

It's a shame how much they screwed up in Vancouver, it seems like a city that should be perfect for basketball.  Our region has lost two of its three teams through no fault of the fans.

I'm pretty sure all sports teams should be community owned.  Like the Packers.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 01:18:52 AM »
Big Country!

It's a shame how much they screwed up in Vancouver, it seems like a city that should be perfect for basketball.  
Yeah, the team wasn't selling well enough 'cause it's not a natural basketball market like it is for hockey, so when the team stinks they only do OKish at the gate. The thing is they were owned by Canucks Sports & Entertainment which also owns the Canucks and the arena (owning the building is so key) so they had a lot of other revenue streams coming in. Had they been willing to take a loss on the Grizzlies for a few years longer, CS&E could have eventually cultivated a market here and the team would ultimately have been a money maker. Also they should have more aggressively pursued the corporate sponsors that already had connections to the Canucks, which I'm sure they tried but they are often criticized (fairly or unfairly) for not making that happen.

Of course at the time the Canadian dollar was really low so when your players want to be paid in American money, it's hard to see how you can turn it around and my understanding is that was a big part of their hemorrhaging. If only they had known the Canadian dollar would be around par just a few years later.

I also wonder about the Steve Nash factor. He didn't become an All-star until the year after the team left Vancouver, and his rise to stardom has really increased youth basketball participation in BC, and that surely would have encouraged interest in the Grizzlies.

Our region has lost two of its three teams through no fault of the fans.
In Seattle it was an issue of financing a new building, right? It sucks to lose your team but I'm at the point where serious public money for sports facilities just doesn't make any sense to me. Without really knowing the details, my first impression is that Seattle made the right choice. Of course it's a slap in the face to Sonics fans that new football and baseball facilities were just built.

I'm pretty sure all sports teams should be community owned.  Like the Packers.
Yeah, it's an interesting model. I don't know much about it other than it seems to work in Green Bay and with a number of CFL franchises.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:49:00 PM by matt the movie watcher »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 01:47:17 AM »
It's not so much the funding of the new arena, it's that we funded massive renovations to the arena a little over ten years ago, and the NBA was trying to force the city/county to do it again.

A bigger problem was that they sold the team to a group from Oklahoma City who said they weren't interested in moving, and then they and Stern did everything they could to move the team out.  There were plenty of local people interested in buying the team and keeping them here, with or without public funding for a new arena.  (To say nothing of the fact that they were trying to extort a new building when the economy was on the brink of collapse.)

Neither of the Canadian expansions were handled well.  Those teams were screwed talent-wise from the beginning.  It's hard to build excitement around a franchise when they suck year after year.  Toronto got lucky in having Vince Carter when he was likeable enough for the team to catch on.  Unfortunately for the Grizz, Abdur-Rahim wasn't as good and was a lot more boring a personality.  Mismanagement by the basketball people didn't help (I say again, Big Country!).  Nash would have been huge, and he almost certainly would have gone there in free agency.

Anyway, at least we've got the Blazers.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:46:34 PM »
Jennings is averaging 25.2 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 5.9 assists.  LOL!  51.9% on 3-ptrs; averaging about 5.2 attempts a game.  And that double nickel was bested by only three rookies and they are HOFers.  Man.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:48:08 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

love