Author Topic: Cult movie marathon  (Read 5004 times)

Mumford67

Cult movie marathon
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »
I mentioned this briefly in an e-mail to the guys but thought I'd bounce it around here.

What do you think of a cult movies marathon for the guys?

For instance, I was thinking of the following list of movies:

1.  Eraserhead
  2.  El Topo (or Santa Sangre)
  3.  Glen or Glenda?
  4.  Pink Flamingos ( I would love to hear Sam's thoughts on this)
  5.  Repo Man
  6.  Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

And as a list of alternates:

-Shogun Assassin
  -Basket Case
  -Freaks
  -Ichi the Killer
  -Streets of Fire
  -Forbidden Zone
  -Orgazmo (or Cannibal: a Musical)

I left some titles off since they probably have already seen them (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Rocky Horror, etc.)

What do you think?  Any other suggestions?

It could lead to some incredible discussions.  I can't be the only person to want to hear Sam talk about Pink Flamingos.

-Mumford67
Mumford, the All Purpose Nothing

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
Cult movie marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 07:42:52 AM »
First Suggestion replacing "Shogun Assassin", with the original two movies Okami I & II (or Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance & Baby Cart at the River Styx as I think they're called in english) since those are much better (and available on DVD). And since I haven't said this for quite some time, anyone who liked Kill Bill has to see these two movies...

Repo Man never really work for me, I actually rewatched it recently (and still didn't get it), i like the Circle Jerks and all, but I still think this movie is trying to hard to be a Cult movie...

I'm not sure I want to hear Sam talking about Pink Flamingos (or Ichi the Killer for that matter)...

Suggestions:
- Fantastic Planet
- Possession
- Tetsuo-The Iron Man
- Vase de Noces <But then again, maybe not>
- The Saragossa Manuscript
- Seul Contre Tous (I Stand Alone)
- Color of the Pomegranate
- Dünyayi kurtaran adam (The Man who saves the world)
- Funeral Procession of Roses
- Songs from the Second Floor
- Themroc <even though i don't care much for it>
- If... or O Lucky Man!
- Kdo chce zabít Jessii? (Who Wants to Kill Jessie?)
- Adéla jeste nevecerela (Adele Hasn't Had Her Dinner Yet)

Katebo

• Elite Member
  • Shiny!
    • Sound on Sight TV
Cult movie marathon
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 09:28:23 AM »
I just wanna second a review of Cannibal! The Musical. What a great cult film! I'd be very interested to see what the guys thought.

Mumford67

Cult movie marathon
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 02:24:32 PM »
Magnus-

The reason I went with Shogun Assassin is because that is the version with the cult following in the states.  While, yes, the orginal films play better as a whole and not cut up, they have been little seen here in the states.  Plus,  it is the version that is shown at the end of KB2.

As for John Water's films, if not Pink Flamingos, then how about Polyester?  Mainstream enough but still using Waters typical collection of misfits.  Would be especially good if the guys could secure some scratch and sniff cards for the viewing.  My guess is that the only Waters film the guys have seen is Hairspray, but that really gives you no idea of what the man's oeuvre is like.  A cult movie marathon without a Waters film would seem incomplete.

Also, I know it largely comes down to personal taste, but I'm not sure if Tetsuo would spawn a more interesting discussion than Ichi.  While Tetsuo definitely has some very memorable imagery, It also gets very repetitive very quickly.  It also seems to me that for modern cult movies, no fan base  is really as secure as the T. Mike group.  And since Ichi is the best known of his films, that's why I included it.

Finally, I gotta say  that I agree with the inclusion of a Lindsay Anderson film.  I wonder if watching If... would make them re-do their high school film lists.

-Mumford67

P.S.  Another suggestion:  Peter Brook's adaptation of Marat/Sade.  Or possibly a Roeg film, like Performance or Walkabout.

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
Cult movie marathon
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 11:22:42 PM »
You'd have to throw Boondock Saints on there. I don't think either Sam or Adam has seen it.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
Cult movie marathon
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 05:23:50 AM »
Mumford

yes, but that is because 'Shogun Assassin' was for the longest time the only Version available... but since this has changed, there is no reason to go back to 'Shogun Assassin" except for checking out GZA's sample sources... What about "Hanzo the Razor" that might be a fun choice...

Remembering that Sam liked "Jackass" there might be a slight chance that Sam will not completely tear down "Pink Flamingos" (but i doubt it) ... are those scratch and sniff cards still available... i want one of those... .
I sure you're familiar with the story of the lawsuit where a family watched "Hairspray" and afterwards rented "Pink Flamingos" to watch it with the whole family...

Now, 'Ichi the Killer' I know Sam will hate, there is no way around that... if there ever was a movie about sadistic violence... how about "The Happiness of the Katakuris"...

I actually suggested "If..." to everyone who told my how great "Dead Poet Society" was, none of those people talk to me anymore...

Another suggestion would be to replace "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" with "Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!"...

I like the inclusion of "Performance" ... great movie.

Mumford67

Cult movie marathon
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:32:31 AM »
Funny thing is that I personally don't even care for Pink Flamingos all that much, but it is the one that is most infamous.  I actually preferred Multiple Maniacs and Desperate Living but somehow I don't know what would strike Sam as more offensive:  the entirety of PF or th lobster scene in MM??  Maybe Polyester is the safest bet. :)

I believe the Scratch and sniff cards were shipped with LD copies of Polyester years back.  I also believe a bunch were run-off for an airing on IFC many years back.  Search around eBay or Amazon.  You can usuially find them pretty cheap.

As for the issue of sadistic violence, I can see where you are coming from.  But Adam seems to have made it through Audition, though not entirely unscathed.  Maybe Sam would suprise us.  But perhaps you're right.  Happiness is more "family friendly," as a number of reviewers put it.

MagnusFromBerlin

• Stumpfer Gegenstand
Cult movie marathon
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 08:27:56 AM »
Quote from: "Mumford67"
As for the issue of sadistic violence, I can see where you are coming from.  But Adam seems to have made it through Audition, though not entirely unscathed.  Maybe Sam would suprise us.  But perhaps you're right.  Happiness is more "family friendly," as a number of reviewers put it.

but the the ruse with Audition, that it plays like a normal movie. With Ichi you know within 10 minutes what you have gotten yourself into... and for the next 2 hours it's only going to get worse

Natalia

Re: Cult movie marathon
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »
Quote from: "Mumford67"
For instance, I was thinking of the following list of movies:

1.  Eraserhead
  2.  El Topo (or Santa Sangre)
  3.  Glen or Glenda?
  4.  Pink Flamingos ( I would love to hear Sam's thoughts on this)
  5.  Repo Man
 6.  Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

I think that's a good idea for a marathon. However, I think Valley of the Dolls would be better than Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. This may be too obscure but I think Better Off Dead is a great cult film.

Mumford67

Re: Cult movie marathon
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 11:26:08 PM »
Quote from: "Natalia"

I think that's a good idea for a marathon. However, I think Valley of the Dolls would be better than Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. This may be too obscure but I think Better Off Dead is a great cult film.

I orginally thought Beyond the Valley of the Dolls was a good choice for two reasons.  One, you can't have a cult movie marathon without including a Russ Meyer Film.  And two, there's the extra bonus that its written by Roger Ebert, a critic both Sam and Adam seem to admire.

Valley of the Dolls, while a camp classic, is not quite in the cult league with Beyond.

That said, since making this list, I've come to the realization that Faster Pussycat!  Kill! Kill! is the more seminal of the Meyers flicks and really should be the included title.

Also, I agree about Better Off Dead.  Love the Savage Steve Holland flicks.