Author Topic: So what's your day job?  (Read 32065 times)

etdoesgood

• Air-conditioned auditoriums playing movies ROCK
Re: So what's your day job?
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »
Teaching English to teaching Tech, quite a jump. Sounds like a great way to freshen up your job. How many students at the school and what is the grade range?

Freshened up, but is also seriously wearing me out, too. It's good, though. It's just putting me into a position of feeling like an overwhelmed first year teacher for the first time in a while.

We have something like 650 6th-8th grade students. That's down from 2017-18 by around 90 kids, people are moving to adjacent cities like Avondale or Goodyear. It's the roughest neighborhood I've taught in, and the sense is people that can leave are doing so. I rep these kids, though. They need a chance, and I think this tech lab is opening a few of their eyes. Just gotta keep grindin'.
A desert person

Letterboxd: phxphilmphan

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
Great work!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »
final semester of law school, i thought it would be a breeze, instead ive been totally owned :(

though i did get a chance to watch a technically bad copy of the opera TURNADOT, the music is incredible and i'm glad i got to see it...wish i had time to write about it
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

etdoesgood

• Air-conditioned auditoriums playing movies ROCK
« Reply #273 on: February 06, 2020, 12:30:09 AM »
Home stretch! You got it!

I dated a woman who was in law school while I was in undergrad. That experience CONSUMED her, though she's been very successful since. Seems to have been worth it.
A desert person

Letterboxd: phxphilmphan

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #274 on: February 06, 2020, 07:35:41 AM »
Thank you! A corporate slave ship awaits me, but it will help me pay off the crazy loans....I do envy the teachers/professors (my wife is also an educator) doing way more  important work and getting some great perks like holidays and summers off.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2020, 03:49:44 AM »
Corporate Slave Ship just makes me think of this:

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2020, 01:29:30 PM »
LOL classique--and yeah pretty much  :-\ :o ;D