Author Topic: My Celebrity Encounters  (Read 34405 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: My Celebrity Encounters
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
Back when I was a DJ in college, I met LSD guru Timothy Leary, musicians Joe Strummer and Mick Jones from The Clash, Ray & Dave Davies from The Kinks, The B-52's, Joe Jackson, Peter Wolf of the J. Geils band, Marshall Crenshaw (douchebag!!!) and Southside Johnny.

When I worked at Foxwoods, I met Steve Howe, Bill Bruford (both from Yes), Carl Palmer (of ELP) and John Wetton (Asia), Robert Klein, Richard Belzer (The world's most successful non-funny comedian), most of the male cast of The Sopranos, John Mellencamp, Mariah Carey, Gloria Estefan, plus many others who escape me at this moment.

When I worked in Newport, they were filming Amistad, and most of the cast were staying at our hotel. I met Steven Spielberg when he and Kate Capshaw came down to the restaurant to order some food to take back to their room for their kids because Room Service was swamped that night. For cast members, I met Pete Postlethwaite, Nigel Hawthorne, Matthew McConaughey (I was taller than him and I'm 5' 7"), David Paymer (Real nice guy), and Stellan Skarsgård.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
Hey, now I can say I kind of know somebody who knows somebody!

My story isn't nearly as grand, but it's an elevator story.

I got to ride in an elevator with Prince in NYC. When he walked in, I think my eyebrows shot up and it made me smile, but I quickly broke eye contact as to not bother him.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
I forgot, I have photographic evidence of FLY standing next to Joel McHale. He's a lot shorter in real life than I though, which makes me wonder how tall the people on Community actually are.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
Really? Joel McHale is 6' 4".  How tall are you?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »
5'10" maybe closer to 6'? Haven't been measured in a while. I wasn't on elevated ground or anything, there's no way he is 6'4". He was barely taller than me and I'm no where close to that tall.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2012, 09:45:14 PM »
At Christmas, Rob Lowe surfed our beach and Ben Stiller had coffee at a table near us.  Fun sightings!
Texan Down Under

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure he's that tall.  He played tight end at the University of Washington, you've gotta be tall for that.  The whole internet agrees on his height as well.  Chevy Chase is about the same height, and he's 6' 3-4".
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:13 PM »
Hmm, perhaps I was on elevated ground. He definitely didn't seem close to that tall though. I was quite close to him as well. I'll have to check the pictures again.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
I was a P.A. on a no-budget movie called Skin Art and got to give Kirk Baltz a ride from Brooklyn to Westchester.  This was while Reservoir Dogs was in theaters (and I had just seen it).  Only time I've ever enjoyed a drive to or from Brooklyn.  Jeez, thinking back on it, I practically chewed his ear off.   ::)
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
When "The Fridge" William Perry first started to play with the Bears, he bought a house on the same street as my brother in Libertyville.  It was just an average house at the time and you would often see him washing his cars and mowing the lawn. 

I use to work at Browns Chicken and I took the order of the famous players at the time but I can't remember who.  Maybe samurai mike Singletary but just can't remember now.  the owner was very excited and said I should ask for his autograph but I just said not interested.  I can't remember if the player was offended or not, I just didn't excitement of the autograph.

Hillary Swank once sat behind me at breakfast at a cafe/dinner in LA.

I saw Randy "The Macho Man" Savage walk by me in the Miami Airport.  The dude was huge Ohhhh YEAHHHHH..

In 1998 I went on a few dates with a girl that use to date Andrew McCarthy.   She was sitting next to my on my a flight the first time I was sent to Singapore for a project.  I was a bit intimidated by her as she was young, successful, traveling all around Europe, Africa and Asia working for the discover channel.  And I was still a bit shy and awkward in those days
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman