Author Topic: My Celebrity Encounters  (Read 34483 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: My Celebrity Encounters
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:04 PM »
1. I've "met"/briefly spoken to Neil Gaiman at several book signings.  I also went to a signing by Harlan Ellison, and several other authors.

2. I've met and emailed with Suzanne Brockmann enough that she remembers me from signing to signing.

3. I knew science fiction writer John Scalzi from hanging around the same group on the internet, long before he became famous either for his writing or for taping bacon to his cat.

In most of the random celebrity sightings/interactions I didn't know who it was til after the fact.  Such as:

1. When I worked at Waldenbooks in 1990 or 1991 or so I happened to be working on "black Friday" and since it was in Lenox Mall and had a heavily gay clientele, we had instantly sold out of a big Marilyn Monroe coffee table book and I'd been telling fey men all morning that we were out but I could order it.  Yet another tiny gay guy with bad hair asked about it, I told him the spiel and he said he'd check back and walked away.  I later found out it was Elton John and he'd bought about $2000 worth of other stuff.

2. I talked Kathy Bates into a Waldenbooks discount card ("you are buying over $100 worth of books, it's already paid for by the discount you'll get today PLUS you'll get a $5.00 coupon in the mail in a week!").  She was buying a pile of gardening books.  She was already gone from the store when I looked at the paperwork she'd filled out and recognized the name.  Didn't recognize her at all but her hair was short and I only knew her from Misery at that point.  (It was while they were filming Fried Green Tomatoes)

3. I was at a lesbian bar on the dance floor and someone bumped into me.  I put my arm out to catch my balance and accidentally touched a woman's arm nearby.  I did a double take because the arm (biceps) felt like carved wood.  She was glaring at me.  It was a scary glare and I was embarrassed and scurried off the dance floor soon after.  That was when my friends told me it was Martina Navratilova.

4. I saw Michael Stipe, Peter Buck and Kevn Kinney (Drivin and Cryin) stitting at a table at the Emory student center.  I did recognize them but didn't approach.  Peter Buck's mom supposedly worked in the administration at the Law School, I figured that might be why they were there.

5.  I've seen Emily and Amy from Indigo Girls all over the place, at restaurants and record stores and little funky clothing stores.  Again, never approached.  Too afraid of saying something stupid or annoying them.  I have friends who are actually friends with them.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
Outside of fighters, who I don't consider celebrities, and seeing Jeremy Roenick at my little league opening day when I was like 12, I've never had a run-in with any celebs that I can recall.

Wait, strike that, I took a youth coaching class, it's mandatory that you get certified to coach, with a local news anchor. I can't remember his name, a quick search tells me it was Randy Salerno, I think he was on WGN, but he died shortly after I met him.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 07:04:54 PM »
You all know me, which qualifies as a future celebrity.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »
This is already on the 5 Fascinating Things thread, so I apologize for repeating myself, but it is my favorite story of all time.

I went to the same high school as Ron Livingston. It's a small high school in a non-descript town and he comes around for the holidays every year or two. I was cheerleading at a basketball game, and my parents, brother, and boyfriend were in the stands waving their arms to get my attention. They were sitting right behind Ron Livingston. During half-time I went up to sit with them, and he was leaning forward. We saw his butt crack and boxers. Later, during the game, I was flying in a stunt  (on top of the fabled pyramid) and we made eye contact and he smiled at me. I just about fainted.

The weird thing is, no one in the crowd even acted like they noticed him. I never saw anyone ask for an autograph or even try to talk to him. I still wish I would have said something to him, but that's probably both lame and rude.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »
This is the only one I have:

My family went to a Yankees game in 1998 and we got there early and were walking around the stadium. Then we came to the player entrance and a cop stopped us and told us to stand there while the players walked by. We turned to look and saw barricades holding throws of fans back and then turned the other way and saw none other than Derek Jeter himself walking right in front of us. And by right in front of us I mean like 3-5 feet maybe. At that point the cop had stopped paying attention to us and we could have gone up to him if we wanted to (though we would have been been run up to by the cops then I'm sure). Jeter was walking in with another player too, but we didn't know who he was. We turned to my oldest brother, who knew everything baseball then, and he said it was Jorge Posada. He turned out to be a pretty good player too.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Solid Blake

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
Hung out with Ricky Schroder and Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from "Fresh Prince"). No lie...

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
I've met various musicians after concerts and met a whole bunch of people at MaxFunCon but those don't really count since they're expected.  My biggest incidental celebrity encounter occurred a few times.  Growing up, my house was a few blocks away from the headquarters of Newman/Haas Racing and over the years I saw Paul Newman a few times.  Unfortunately I never did get to actually meet him.  I've also seen Little Richard riding in a limo in Hollywood - he actually pulled over to sign autographs for people and I got to see his horrifying plastic face.  I also ran into comedians Doug Benson and Brian Posehn on the street in Chicago.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »
Hung out with Ricky Schroder and Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from "Fresh Prince"). No lie...

Silver Spoons reunion?
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:16 PM »

/thread

You win.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
In 2000, I had lunch at the Hollywood Hotel restaurant with Heather Tom, who was hosting a bridal shower lunch for a friend of mine, but more importantly, Annette Bening was also eating there at the same time - she had an infant with her. (I couldn't spot Warren.)

When I came out of a store in L.A. and said to the friend I was with something like, "Ugh, it's hot," someone behind us said, "Yep, it's a hottie." It was David Spade. (It was 1994, and he was still on Saturday Night Live, so we thought it was pretty cool.)

love