Author Topic: November 2009 MDC Write-ups  (Read 39949 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: November 2009 MDC Write-ups
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
Excellent review. I'll put that on my list, for sure.

shoot man.  You have me convinced too Steve.  Never heard of this???  Pulling up queue...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:28:30 AM »
But why is Lindsey Lohan in this?
Because Altman was a fan.

She cant act at all,
I don't think she's that bad at all. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:30:26 AM »
But why is Lindsey Lohan in this?
Because Altman was a fan.

She cant act at all,
I don't think she's that bad at all. 

Perhaps its just me, but I never once forgot she was Lindsey Lohan which is a sign of a bad actress.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 12:31:38 AM »
Yes, 1SO, Joyeux Noel is a Christmas movie, set during the war, with troops and stuff.
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
Of the MDC choices this month I haven't seen 8 Femmes, Dog Days, The Edge of Heaven, Joyeux Noel, Kings and Queens, Rivers and Tides, Somersault,  and all of Werckmeister Harmonies.

Harmoniesand Rivers/Tides are already in my queue.  The rest I'm waiting for write-ups.  But I've now added Joyeux Noel.

Is it a Christmas movie? I'm planning to load my queue with Christmas films I've never seen in Dec.

It is very much a Christmas movie.  Almost all of it takes place on Christmas Eve and Day.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 02:49:21 AM »

5/5

Great review! I completely agree. The movie keeps a beautiful balance. You can tell this material would have looked very different in the hands of an other director.
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »
Harmonies and Rivers/Tides are already in my queue.  The rest I'm waiting for write-ups.  But I've now added Joyeux Noel.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on that one.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
Glad you at least did enjoy it Clovis. I haven't seen many Altman, so maybe since I liked this one so much, I will really love his other films.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
stevekimes, glad you enjoyed the movie. i have been meaning to buy the DVD, a true testament to how much i love a movie because i rarely buy DVD's for myself. with christmas coming it will be the perfect time to revisit a great story.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 10:26:28 PM »

For the November 2009 MDC, I was assigned I’m Not There, the stylized Todd Haynes pseudo bio pic of the life and times of Bob Dylan.  

I feel like society has let me down, and the words of my reviews no longer have the power to persuade and hold a movement in tact, so I've retired to farm in rural American, content that I’ve shared with the world a sufficient supply of my earthly thoughts.  I no longer have an interest in enburdening myself to second-guessers and hangers-on

For this reason I’ve hired three users to play me….err….I mean a part inspired by me, to share my thoughts that may or may not be attributed to me.  I did endorse the concept in its entirety.  Please look for these three reviews this evening.  I hope you enjoy!!

it would be great if people could hold off for an hour replying to this thread until all three users have made their peace. Thank You.  Ferris.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 10:28:40 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)