Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 65316 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2010, 11:38:11 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Not since Jesse James have I had so many great images to choose from!  I'm glad they are evocative to people!

BTW, anyone else just fall in love with Charlotte Gainsbourg in this?  

Stephane, Stephanie. I like her here more than I do in Antichrist, thats for sure.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2010, 04:03:39 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #17

In the Bedroom
(2001,  Todd Field)

"Change? No, I don't change....Everything around me changes."

Loved this film.  No surpise really.  When great dialog meets great characters played by great actors that's my recipe for success.  Rather than trying to think of new superblatives to come up with, I'm going to share a few screenshots and dissect a couple of scenes.

The hug:
I'll identify the scene so those who have seen it will recognize it but is not spoilery in any way.  The scene is a husband and wife, played by Tom Wilkenson and Sissy Spacek, embrace after a pretty vicious fight.  The fight was interupted by a knock on the door.  It's a girl selling candy for a fundraiser.  The brilliance of this whole scene starts with the fight being interupted to begin with.  Life goes on.  People who pass you buy on the street have no way of knowing your pain, just as you have no way of knowing theirs.  The husband goes to the door - so consistant with his personality - he is not strong enough to simply shoe the girl away.  Instead, not only does he purchase one candy bar but a few of them.  Somehow he manages to compartmentalize the moment in a way his wife could not, and in a way she also does not respect or understand - which really is the crux of the argument they're having.  He walks back into the living room where she sees the candy and instantly recognizes what had gone on.  Here is a crossroads for the entire movie.   She chooses not to editorilize as she knows she rightly could and that moment of silence is just enought for her husband to break down and apologize.  The what follows is so tender and poignent, it's hard not to get choked up at this beautifully tragic moment.

Driving home after crossing the bridge:
Again, no specific.  There's a scene near the end of the movie where a pretty significant event takes place at a friend's house.  Two men are driving back into town early morning and are stopped at a bridge.  They wait while an operator hand-cranks the turntable to let a boat pass.  It is as tense a sense as I've seen in this marathon.  Afterward they drive into town and the director makes an interesting choice to take quick shots of random things in store windows, signs, and blinking traffic lights.  I recognize this so well from my own life.  Driving down a road after an event takes place that I regret and can't get back.  Things look different. They have a heightened significance.  I'm trying to find a distraction  to keep from replaying things in my head and worrying about the ramifications.  

It is the scnenes like this that I really enjoy - when a filmaker takes the time to remind the character and our audience about "real life" interupting amid crisis.  That is the real tragedy of life sometimes - you can't press pause.

BTW: Sissy Spacek and Tom WIlkenson are both great in this.  I believe both were at least nominated for Oscars that year.  But I have to call out in particular Marisa Tomei, who I think gives the best performance I'd ever seen her give.  

Really enjoyed this.  

One last thing.  Three chords in I could indentify a Thomas Newman score.  After doing films like Shawshank and The Horse Whisperer he really made a mark for himself on American Beauty, and maybe most acclaimed for his score for Finding Nemo.  However for the remainder of the decade he had really started to become too self-repetitive to the point I was downright annoyed by it in Revolutionary Road for instance.  However, in In the Bedroom, it is subtle and haunting and really matches the story well.  Newman will remain one of my all time favorite composers.  Good save.  I'm going to remember this come GooseEgg award time

Verdict:
Pitch perfect acting performances elevate a simple story to make it gripping and hauting.

Grade: A 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:05:34 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2010, 12:03:36 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #18

The Fountain
(2006, Darren Aronofsky)

"He grew into the wood, into the bloom...and when a sparrow ate the tree's fruit, his father flew with the birds..."

Wow - pretty amazing movie experience here.  As you can see from the screenshots here, some absolutely stunning visuals.  Some pretty high minded stuff as well.  I really appreciate how Aronofky totally sold out all the way on his vision here.  There is a really really fine line between bravado and pretension.  Aronofsky straddles the line from scene to scene and it had me holding my breath from minute to minute: Was it going to totally blow me away or it's just going to fall in on itself?  I guess, in the end I suppose it did neither - but it came pretty dang close.

I appreciate what he was going for here and I allowed myself to get caught up in the three intertwining stories.  I gawked at the visuals.  At one point late in the film there was a scene where a character places some medicine on a wound.  This may go down as my favorite scene from the entire decade.  

In the end I guess what held me back from truly embracing this as the epic magnum opus I think it set out to be, was the "current day" thread.  It left me a bit cold.  I suppose in a way that was the intent.  There is a timelessness generic quality to the storytelling and perhaps our two leads were supposed to come off as "stagy" for that purpose.  However this movie goer would have appreciated a bit more warmth and heart in these sections.  Especially Rachel Weisz - who I absolutely loved in The Brothers Bloom - who was more like a China doll than a fleshed out character. I blame this on the director.

I loved the Cliff Mansell score.  He's getting to be my new favorite composer.  I loved the message of the film as well - appreciating life instead of clinging to it.  The theme got a bit heavy handed by the end.  It also seemed like it was going to end like three times.  But that's ok - I enjoyed the film right to the last.

It may take a rewatch or two to really get a fix on my final opinion on this.  But either way, great film watching experience and I'd recommend it to anyone - especially if you think these screenshots are cool.  I paired these down from about 50 shots I took!

Verdict:
Crazy great visuals and a cool structure, but a bit distant - missing the mark as a true epic.

Grade: B+ 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:07:06 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

flieger

« Reply #263 on: January 25, 2010, 12:05:58 AM »
I'm still reading... and still enjoying your pieces.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:14 AM »
I'm still reading... and still enjoying your pieces.

I make the process of writing these so much harder than it needs to be!!
(switchboard)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »
It is a gorgeous movie. Your review makes me want to seek out the Blu ray.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #266 on: January 25, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #16

The Science of Sleep
(2006, Michel Gondry)

I just saw this film. Wow.

It's amazing. What makes it work is that Stephane is such a complex character, both relatable in his solipsism and his attempts to communicate his interior life with the external world, and unsympathetic when the film goes objective and almost verite. We see who he really is, and then we see how he projects himself. This film is essentially stream of conscious, and it's far sadder than some might think.

This film really connected with me. Wonderful movie.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:24:07 AM by Holly Harry »
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #267 on: January 25, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
I didn't care too much for The Fountain when I saw it several years ago, but dang if it isn't gorgeous as can be. I want to rewatch it for that if nothing else, but I'm guessing I would also be more receptive to the story than I was before.

Nice writeup!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:15 AM »
The Science of Sleep (2006, Michel Gondry)

I just saw this film. Wow.

It's amazing. What makes it work is that Stephane is such a complex character, both relatable in his solipsism and his attempts to communicate his interior life with the external world, and unsympathetic when the film goes objective and almost verite. We see who he really, and then we see how he projects himself. This film is essentially stream of conscious, and it's far sadder than some might think.

This film really connected with me. Wonderful movie.

I so wish I watched this again before sending it back.  I miss it already.  Glad you liked it!  And Stephane - that's a tough tough role.  You've got to get that just right .  I think he really did, and Stephanie is just the perfect character to bounce against him.
(switchboard)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2010, 12:25:45 AM »
I didn't care too much for The Fountain when I saw it several years ago

The problem I have with it is that it feels like it should be more epic than it is.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

love