love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101426 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
It's beautiful, but it's no Days of Heaven.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
Best movie of that year, and the thing I love the most about it is that it's a film about the complexity of individuals, and how this gets simplified by time and history, and our lack of communication. Bob Ford isn't a "COWARD"(the title is definitely ironic, as is some of the narration), he was a human being who was confused, naive, hopeful and numerous other emotions in his interior life that he couldn't even begin to let out. James was the same way. This makes the way history treats them all the more heartbreaking. Ford(and James) is a man who is forever victim of the way people label him, the people that could never know him and the he was a victim of being a person whose complexities and depths would forever be locked away in his soul because as the last line of narration says "He couldn't find the right words". This film touches upon our fundamental human condition, our isolation, and our canonization through the memories and accounts of others, which could never define who we really are. It's a Great, Great film.

I'm so glad you liked it.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Gobman

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
I'm really pleased you liked it ferris, I know he's not a big part, but how did you feel about Sam Rockwell in this? Maybe it's just cos I'm a massive fan of his, but his 'transformation' on stage is one of my strongest memories of the film.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

I loved it.  I believe this is Top 100 worthy.

I am one of the three totally awesome people that had it in their All Time Top 100.

"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
Need to see this one. Nice review, ferris.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
It's beautiful, but it's no Days of Heaven.

Absolutely. Dominik's film is about celebrity, fame, legend, and myth-making, and Days of Heaven isn't.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »
They're both fantastic. The Malick comparions for "Jesse James" are tiring. The film bares more of a resemblance to "McCabe & Mrs. Miller" anyway.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
Need to see this one. Nice review, ferris.
Same. And it's waiting for me at the library - woot!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
I'm really pleased you liked it ferris, I know he's not a big part, but how did you feel about Sam Rockwell in this? Maybe it's just cos I'm a massive fan of his, but his 'transformation' on stage is one of my strongest memories of the film.

Sam Rockwell is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors.  It's amazing how many roles he pops in in movies I've been catching up with.  I really do like him in TAOJJ - He acts the part in such a way that you really don't need any backstory.  You feel like you really know him...

Funny that I see such a corellation between his part and the brother that shows up in There Will Be Blood: earnest, a good quality man, hard working, but you just have this sense that this is another shoe that's going to drop.

I hope Rockwell get's remembered come Oscar time for his work in Moon.  Although with each passing month it seems to be harder to be optimistic about it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:28:09 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
Best movie of that year, and the thing I love the most about it is that it's a film about the complexity of individuals, and how this gets simplified by time and history, and our lack of communication. Bob Ford isn't a "COWARD"(the title is definitely ironic, as is some of the narration), he was a human being who was confused, naive, hopeful and numerous other emotions in his interior life that he couldn't even begin to let out. James was the same way. This makes the way history treats them all the more heartbreaking. Ford(and James) is a man who is forever victim of the way people label him, the people that could never know him and the he was a victim of being a person whose complexities and depths would forever be locked away in his soul because as the last line of narration says "He couldn't find the right words". This film touches upon our fundamental human condition, our isolation, and our canonization through the memories and accounts of others, which could never define who we really are. It's a Great, Great film.

I'm so glad you liked it.

Your comments here make me want to watch it yet again. :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love