love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101419 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Don  Beebe!??

Oh nm, DION Beebe
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »
Best movie of that year, and the thing I love the most about it is that it's a film about the complexity of individuals, and how this gets simplified by time and history, and our lack of communication. Bob Ford isn't a "COWARD"(the title is definitely ironic, as is some of the narration), he was a human being who was confused, naive, hopeful and numerous other emotions in his interior life that he couldn't even begin to let out. James was the same way. This makes the way history treats them all the more heartbreaking. Ford(and James) is a man who is forever victim of the way people label him, the people that could never know him and the he was a victim of being a person whose complexities and depths would forever be locked away in his soul because as the last line of narration says "He couldn't find the right words". This film touches upon our fundamental human condition, our isolation, and our canonization through the memories and accounts of others, which could never define who we really are. It's a Great, Great film.

I'm so glad you liked it.

Your comments here make me want to watch it yet again. :)

Holly Harry, that's a fantastic write-up.  Bravo.

Thank you.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »
Well, it looks like an interesting discussion on JJ.  Of course, I can't read it because I haven't seen it yet-- the only film on Ferris' marathon I haven't.

Why isn't this discussion in it's own spoiler thread?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:59 AM »

This is a special thread for Ferris' marathon. Spoilers are implied by the nature of the thread.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

This is a special thread for Ferris' marathon. Spoilers are implied by the nature of the thread.

I understand the concept.  I was bemoaning the fact that there will now be excellent discussions on excellent movies that no one will be able to find a couple years from now.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »

I understand the concept.  I was bemoaning the fact that there will now be excellent discussions on excellent movies that no one will be able to find a couple years from now.

Ah, yes that is a general problem with the board. We tend to be a little scatter shot in our focus! This is why I always hate on the search function's flaws.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »

I understand the concept.  I was bemoaning the fact that there will now be excellent discussions on excellent movies that no one will be able to find a couple years from now.

Ah, yes that is a general problem with the board. We tend to be a little scatter shot in our focus! This is why I always hate on the search function's flaws.

Is there a way to copy the posts about The Assassination of... here and create a new thread in the Movie Talk (Spoiler Edition) forum?  I know that mods can move and merge threads.  I don't think they can copy and paste to create a new thread, can they?
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 12:36:06 PM »

I understand the concept.  I was bemoaning the fact that there will now be excellent discussions on excellent movies that no one will be able to find a couple years from now.

Is there a way to copy the posts about The Assassination of... here and create a new thread in the Movie Talk (Spoiler Edition) forum?  I know that mods can move and merge threads.  I don't think they can copy and paste to create a new thread, can they?

Hint, hint....

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »
I don't think they can copy and paste to create a new thread, can they?

Copy and Paste = Double Posting = Bad!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
I don't think they can copy and paste to create a new thread, can they?

Copy and Paste = Double Posting = Bad!

pixote

Even if it begins a new adventure?