love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101362 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
In 2006 I saw The Departed 3 times in theaters, and I saw Pan's first showing, opening day a few weeks after seeing The Departed. That combination is the reason I am currently on these forums.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
I really loved Pan's, it's a top 10 for me, too...

Really?  Why?  I'm actually pretty curious about this...(not lying in wait to rain on your praise)

It's either in my top 5 or 8, can't remember which. If you so desire I will provide deeper insight into my addled brain at a later time.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
I had Pan's somewhere in my top 20, so I'm sorry you didn't like it more. I don't feel that the characters are kept at a distance or one dimensional at all, Ofelia and Mercedes are both particularly strong characters, and I even think the evil captain is a more interesting villain than you give credit for. You compare Pan's to a multitude of other fantasy movies with similiar formulas, but honestly I think painting it in such broad strokes is a disservice to how unique and well crafted of a film it is. Pretty much any movie can be broken down into a familiar-sounding summary, but what counts is how it handled the material and the emotion it brings to it, which is where Pan's succeeds for me.

I agree with Junior that the ending is much less clear than you claim. I really think it can be interpreted either way, and I've gone back and forth on which I subscribe to.

Regarding the grape, in addition to what has already been said, I think part of it is that it's riffing on a familiar fairy-tale situation. The "forbidden fruit" that our hero knows they shouldn't take, but that draws them in with an almost magical allure, leading to dire consequences.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
I'm actually in the process of writing a paper on how Pan's Labyrinth is really an epic story in the vein of The Odyssey and the ending is plays a pivotal role in my argument. Is it a homecoming? If it's all in her head is that our new version of a homecoming (as in leaving reality for our own little world)?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »

Really?  Why?  I'm actually pretty curious about this...(not lying in wait to rain on your praise)

Mostly because the other movies not in my top ten were worse.

But really, I was really drawn in by the story and the use of the fantasy elements, I felt, were perfect.  Almost the way that some of the better Jim Henson movies could have been, if they had been done for adults.  I love the historical backdrop, dealing with fascism, but not having Nazi stereotypes.  And I agree with Junior, et al, that the fantasy element was not clear.  The ambiguity makes it richer. 

One last thing.  I bought this DVD earlier this year and my daughter saw it.  Noting the puppet characters on the front, she was interested.  I told her that, no, she is certainly not old enough to watch it.   Maybe when she's 30.  To explain this, I started telling her the story, and she was riveted.  She was asking questions, and really wondering what would happen to the little girl and her mommy.  Honestly, I felt the same way.  It totally draws you in.  I'll probably have to give in and let her see it when she's 20 instead.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »

Really?  Why?  I'm actually pretty curious about this...(not lying in wait to rain on your praise)

Mostly because the other movies not in my top ten were worse.

But really, I was really drawn in by the story and the use of the fantasy elements, I felt, were perfect.  Almost the way that some of the better Jim Henson movies could have been, if they had been done for adults.  I love the historical backdrop, dealing with fascism, but not having Nazi stereotypes.  And I agree with Junior, et al, that the fantasy element was not clear.  The ambiguity makes it richer.  

One last thing.  I bought this DVD earlier this year and my daughter saw it.  Noting the puppet characters on the front, she was interested.  I told her that, no, she is certainly not old enough to watch it.   Maybe when she's 30.  To explain this, I started telling her the story, and she was riveted.  She was asking questions, and really wondering what would happen to the little girl and her mommy.  Honestly, I felt the same way.  It totally draws you in.  I'll probably have to give in and let her see it when she's 20 instead.

Thanks Steve for that, and thanks to everyone who shared their insights on PL here so far.  I'll certainly think about these some more if/when I watch again.

By the way - just in general thanks everyone for your interest and support of this little marathon.  It's means a lot to me that people have taken interest!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2009, 06:22:50 PM »
We're all interested because you've got a fantastic selection of films there.  It's cool to hear someone's response to a movie you love.  Unless you hate it.  Then we have to ban you from the forum.  But I'm SURE that won't happen, will it, Ferris?   ;D
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2009, 06:25:21 PM »
We're all interested because you've got a fantastic selection of films there.  It's cool to hear someone's response to a movie you love.  Unless you hate it.  Then we have to ban you from the forum.  But I'm SURE that won't happen, will it, Ferris?   ;D

Hmmm....I better be careful !  :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2009, 10:06:07 PM »
jeffstatt.smugmug.com/Professional/Misc/ChildrenOfMean/707633994_z6sxN-M.jpg

Hehe.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
jeffstatt.smugmug.com/Professional/Misc/ChildrenOfMean/707633994_z6sxN-M.jpg

Hehe.

pixote

An Omen perhaps ?
(switchboard)

love