Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101341 times)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2009, 12:54:19 AM »
I really liked the wipes in Pan's Labyrinth.  As for the rest of it, my reaction was much the same as Ferris's.

I like the Hellboy movies a lot more.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »
I really liked the wipes in Pan's Labyrinth.  As for the rest of it, my reaction was much the same as Ferris's.

I like the Hellboy movies a lot more.

Oh man, that one where the camera pans (heh) through the mom's belly and into the fairy world is pretty freaking awesome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »
I'm actually in the process of writing a paper on how Pan's Labyrinth is really an epic story in the vein of The Odyssey and the ending is plays a pivotal role in my argument. Is it a homecoming? If it's all in her head is that our new version of a homecoming (as in leaving reality for our own little world)?

Awesome. Can't wait.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:05 AM »
Whether or not you liked Pan's Labyrinth, The Spirit of the Beehive is worth checking out.  Makes a great double bill.  If it helps, Criterion released Beehive on DVD, and it received three votes for the Filmspotting Top 100.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Whether or not you liked Pan's Labyrinth, The Spirit of the Beehive is worth checking out.  Makes a great double bill.  If it helps, Criterion released Beehive on DVD, and it received three votes for the Filmspotting Top 100.

Also, for what it's worth, it's coming on Netflix Watch Instanly soon.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »

Also, for what it's worth, it's coming on Netflix Watch Instanly soon.

Always a plus for the skeptics.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 03:13:29 AM »

Goose Egg Marathon Film #3

Spirited Away
(2001, Hayao Miyazaki)

So THIS is what a masterpiece looks like!

I’m trying to think of an eloquent way to stretch “my jaw was in my lap for two hours” into 3-4 paragraphs!   This film has rocked my foundation a bit!  So THIS is what I’ve been missing?  Why didn’t anybody tell me?!  (Ok—yeah yeah you did).   Ok I’m even further ruined for crappy movies.  

Suffice to say, I LOVED this.  I watched it twice today.  Once by myself and one with the kids.  And there are too many places to start, so let me just list some things off the top of my head:

1)  The animation is jaw dropping.  Just one incredible image after another.  I let out a few “are you kidding me”s during the train sequence. Oy vay.

2)  I started with subtitles, but soon gave up because I realized how much of the art I was missing.  I started over with the dubs

3)  Two all-time great scenes – the first the stink spirit bath scene and the scenes involving the train ride.  I’m trying hard not to go on for three paragraphs on these alone.  (I read online this evening that the Japanese words at the end of the bath are “It feels good”, but was translated to English as “well done”.  It makes me want to learn Japanese just to pick up on all the nuance of Miyasaki’s language.

4)  It also makes me want to pick up a book on the Shinto spirituality and culture.  Clear are the themes of renewal and tradition, parenting, the vices of gluttony and the disconnective nature of modernization.  So much great thematic content peppered throughout.  For instance little details like the ironic line: “they must have been planning to put a river here”

5)  All three kids of my watched this - the middle son was particularly keen on it and asked a million questions afterward.  He especially loved the no face guy – All three of us laughed out loud through the tea and cake scene.  Reminded me of something out of “Scary Movie”.  They kept guessing wrong what was going to happen next.  Loved that.

6) The score – was AMAZING – I could go on for three paragraphs on this alone.

The only downside – the only thing keeping me from putting this in my all time top ten is the esoteric over-hideousness of a bunch of the characters (and excessive puking etc).  Yeah – I know that was the point – and for the most part I was on board, but…

Anyways – so it’s becoming apparent the picking out awards for this marathon is going to be a bit tricky.  This is definitely going into my top 100.   Probably top 25.  

I’m further ruined for crappy movies.

Verdict:
One word:  Masterpiece

Grade: A+ 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:38:50 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 03:41:06 AM »
You don't know how happy your review makes me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(snif) "Our baby's all grown up and out savin' the world"

I'm so glad you watched it with your kids.  Some of my best memories are talking about this film with my kids.  You will love other Miyazaki, no doubt-- once you start, it's hard to stop.  But every other Miyazaki, every other anime, is really just a reflection of the joy I have at watching this film.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 03:42:01 AM »
Ferris, This makes me sooo happy.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

flieger

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2009, 04:09:56 AM »
 :'(
So happy.

love