love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101334 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »
6) The score – was AMAZING – I could go on for three paragraphs on this alone.

So glad you loved SA Ferris, and the score is by Joe Hisaishi, probably the most overlooked of all the great composers working today, and Miyazaki almost always uses him for his films.

It's an amazing score- there really are 4 or 5 completely distinct themes in this with varying styles. I'm looking forward to discovering more of Hisaichi's work.

I can't remember, have you seen Mononoke, because he scored that as well.

I haven't, but you can bet I will now!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »

So glad you loved SA Ferris, and the score is by Joe Hisaishi, probably the most overlooked of all the great composers working today, and Miyazaki almost always uses him for his films.

It's an amazing score- there really are 4 or 5 completely distinct themes in this with varying styles. I'm looking forward to discovering more of Hisaichi's work.

You should love it, I can't recommend Miyazaki and Hisaishi enough.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #102 on: November 21, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
You don't know how happy your review makes me  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(snif) "Our baby's all grown up and out savin' the world"

funny comment Steve...This film made me feel like I really had a pretty limited idea of what a movie was up to this point.

It's strange - animation has a wierd balance - because you can draw and do anything there must be an aweful temptation to deconstruct physical laws (think: David Lynch remaking Pink Floyd - The Wall!) so animators tend to limit themselves TOO much - in an effort to not cheat laws of weight and space.

What comes to mind is an interview with Pete Doctor (Monster's Inc, Up, etc) who spoke at length about times they had to cheat on perspective to make physicallity work -For instance, when the old man in Up picks up a book upon close up his fingers are twice the size just to make the eyes believe he can accomplish the task.  It's a slight of hand so painstakingly performed that it reveals a bit of self-imposed limitation.

What was really eye opening for me with my first Miyazaki is how creative he was blowing up physical laws but strangely at the same time making actions on the screen always feel authentic.  It never feels like a cheat.  this is what I've always wished I could see in animation...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:02:52 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #103 on: November 21, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »
And how about this guy, eh?

Couldn't you just watch him work all day? :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:49:46 AM by smirnoff »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »

It's strange - animation has a wierd balance - because you can draw and do anything there must be an aweful temptation to deconstruct physical laws (think: David Lynch remaking Pink Floyd - The Wall!) so animators tend to limit themselves TOO much - in an effort to not cheat laws of weight and space.

What was really eye opening for me with my first Miyazaki is how creative he was blowing up physical laws but strangely at the same time making actions on the screen always feel authentic.  It never feels like a cheat.  this is what I've always wished I could see in animation...

Your "Lynch remaking the Wall" comment frightens me deeply.   :o

But I agree with you about Miyazaki re-creating worlds without cheating.  I think he pretty much does the same in Howl's Moving Castle.  But, as you see more of his films, take note of the many flying machines that peppers his films.  Some are amazingly outlandish, but they are all believable.

My family and I are considering doing a Miyazaki marathon for Thanksgiving week.  We've seen them all, but what joy!  We get to watch them again!  (Except I haven't seen My Neighbor Totoro-- which is terrible.  I've been trying to get it from Netflix for months!)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »

"noke is incredibly happy. :)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
I've decided I have a favorite child now.

Last night the family was watching Pirates of the Caribean last night and the middle son asked me if we could go in the other room and rewatch Spirited Away instead.  We did :)

(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Aww, you're gonna make me cry. :D

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

Last night the family was watching Pirates of the Caribean last night and the middle son asked me if we could go in the other room and rewatch Spirited Away instead.  We did :)

Your child is so awesome.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

Your child is so awesome.

I've decided to pool the college funds for the other two into this one's account.

;)
(switchboard)