Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 63201 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »

It's strange - animation has a wierd balance - because you can draw and do anything there must be an aweful temptation to deconstruct physical laws (think: David Lynch remaking Pink Floyd - The Wall!) so animators tend to limit themselves TOO much - in an effort to not cheat laws of weight and space.

What was really eye opening for me with my first Miyazaki is how creative he was blowing up physical laws but strangely at the same time making actions on the screen always feel authentic.  It never feels like a cheat.  this is what I've always wished I could see in animation...

Your "Lynch remaking the Wall" comment frightens me deeply.   :o

But I agree with you about Miyazaki re-creating worlds without cheating.  I think he pretty much does the same in Howl's Moving Castle.  But, as you see more of his films, take note of the many flying machines that peppers his films.  Some are amazingly outlandish, but they are all believable.

My family and I are considering doing a Miyazaki marathon for Thanksgiving week.  We've seen them all, but what joy!  We get to watch them again!  (Except I haven't seen My Neighbor Totoro-- which is terrible.  I've been trying to get it from Netflix for months!)
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
6) The score – was AMAZING – I could go on for three paragraphs on this alone.

So glad you loved SA Ferris, and the score is by Joe Hisaishi, probably the most overlooked of all the great composers working today, and Miyazaki almost always uses him for his films.

It's an amazing score- there really are 4 or 5 completely distinct themes in this with varying styles. I'm looking forward to discovering more of Hisaichi's work.

I can't remember, have you seen Mononoke, because he scored that as well.

I haven't, but you can bet I will now!

"noke is incredibly happy. :)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
I've decided I have a favorite child now.

Last night the family was watching Pirates of the Caribean last night and the middle son asked me if we could go in the other room and rewatch Spirited Away instead.  We did :)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Aww, you're gonna make me cry. :D

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2009, 11:52:03 AM »

Last night the family was watching Pirates of the Caribean last night and the middle son asked me if we could go in the other room and rewatch Spirited Away instead.  We did :)

Your child is so awesome.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

Your child is so awesome.

I've decided to pool the college funds for the other two into this one's account.

;)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2009, 02:03:13 AM »

Goose Egg Marathon Film #4

Children of Men
(2006, Alfonso Cuarón)

I had a feeling I was going to start running out of superlatives about halfway through this marathon.

This is a fabulous film.  No doubt the bleakest film I think I've ever seen - probably #1 now on my list of one-timers....Of course, that being said I watched it twice  :o.  I'm going to try not to pick spoilerific screenshots, but it's going to be pretty hard!

It's hard to talk about this film without comparing it to two others: Minority Report and District 9 - both taking place in not so distant future, each using a stunningly gritty style and (well I guess just two to be exact) taking a pretty frightening dystopic view...I'll save the debate for a future discussion, but suffice to say it was hard to ignore making these comparisons while watching the film.

Right off the top, the most impressive thing is the staggeringly long and ambitious one-take scenes.  At around the 1/3 mark there is an incredibly long take in which a car is being ambushed.  The 2nd time I watched this I was stunned by the amount of choreography.  I usually don't like to watch extra features on films until I've had years to absorb them - but I do cheat from time to time.  This time my curiousity got the best of me.  The rig they put together to film that scene was pretty impressive.

Also impressive - and a huge surprise was Clive Owen who, to this point, I'd only scene in bad romcoms.  He carries this film in a way that I'm struggling to think of someone more perfect.  He had to pull off disinterested slacker, unintentional hero and deeply emotionally scared.  I think he pulled this all off beautifully.

The set design was incredible.  And because the subject of the lens is not the beauty we see on display in other futuristic films I have to give tons of credit to the cinematography, because this film made bad look really great.

Man I'm pretty impressed with this film.  I admit I had to leave the house and take a walk through the neighborhood after this.  It was a bit much to absorb.  Starting on my walk I got reacquainted with a world not yet collapsed.  I took a few deep breaths!

The soundtrack was pretty cool.  I was especially shocked hearing Court of the Crimson King!  Awesome.  

You have GOT to love this Pink Floyd homage:

Lastly - the style of this, were so little was explained of the extraneous world.  It never broke character off the perspective of Theo.  I really appreciated the craftsmanship and adherence to self imposed rules.  The director obviously respects his craft quite a bit - and for his showing off I am nonetheless really impressed.

Another great film.  Another great Filmspotter recommendation!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:36:55 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2009, 02:52:35 AM »
And another great review!

I don't know how you are going to make it through this whole marathon without sounding like someone who just likes every movie out there-- there isn't a bad one in the bunch. 

Oh, wait, you've already done abuse to Pan's Labyrinth, so you won't sound naive.  Just wrong, sometimes.  But that's what makes you human!

Children of Men is pretty close to my favorite dystopia, and I love that sub-genre.  The acting is perfect, the look both realistic and dark, and the plot intense. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Gobman

« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2009, 02:52:56 AM »
I'm really pleased you saw this ferris and even more pleased you enjoyed it so much, personally I preferred the long tracking shot through the warzone/camp to the one in the car, regardless this was definitely the best film released in whatever year it was released in and in my top ten of the decade.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2009, 03:22:58 AM »
Ferris, I hear what you are saying, and you're compltely right. It's a great review and it is a great great movie.