love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101338 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
I know where I am and I have my opinions firmly planted.  Until my wife tells me I'm wrong.  Or a mod kicks me off.
I think Mulholland Drive is terrific but I total understand that it isn't for everyone. I was just teasing you guys about picking The Straight Story as Lynch's best; I don't think it's a bad movie, but that is definitely an uncommon opinion. I'd think Blue Velvet, Mulhollaand Drive or maybe Eraserhead would top most lists. Of course the correct answer is the Twin Peaks pilot.  :)

Until my wife tells me I'm wrong. 
The real Global Moderator.  ;)
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »
The real Global Moderator.  ;)

You got THAT right!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

I think Mulholland Drive is terrific but I total understand that it isn't for everyone. I was just teasing you guys about picking The Straight Story as Lynch's best; I don't think it's a bad movie, but that is definitely an uncommon opinion. I'd think Blue Velvet, Mulhollaand Drive or maybe Eraserhead would top most lists. Of course the correct answer is the Twin Peaks pilot.  :)

So trivia question there.  Twin Peaks is the only TV show to make a Filmspotting/Cinecast Top 5 list!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
Wild At Heart.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
Reading reactions to Mulholland Dr. is always fascinating. It's strange what does and doesn't work for different people. The Silencio scene was one of my favorites.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2009, 11:30:26 PM »
I also like how people are still open to all kinds of interpretations of events, simply because Lynch won't tell anybody that they're right or wrong.  I, however, very much believe the most popular theory that the first 2/3 is a dream of the real Diane Selwyn, who has cast her dream-self as the innocent and hopeful "Betty Elms", reconstructing her history and persona into something like an old Hollywood movie. In the dream, Betty is successful, charming, and lives the fantasy life of a soon-to-be-famous actress. The last third of the film presents Diane's bleak real life, in which she has failed both personally and professionally. She arranges for Camilla, a cold ex-lover, to be killed, and unable to cope with the guilt, re-imagines her as the dependent, pliable amnesiac named Rita. Clues to her inevitable demise, however, continue to appear throughout her dream.
The key scene to this is the dinner party in the waking world where the more oddball characters from the dream world, like the cowboy, all make an appearance.

There are detailed breakdowns online that explain how and why this is the best possible interpretation of events.  On my 3rd viewing, going in with that knowledge, the film made a heck of a lot of sense.  Turned it from a frustrating experiment to one of my favorite films of the decade.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:37:08 PM by 1SO »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2009, 11:34:35 PM »
I also like how people are still open to all kinds of interpretations of events, simply because Lynch won't tell anybody that they're right or wrong.  I, however, very much believe the most popular theory that the first 2/3 is a dream (you see a face fall into a pillow right at the 2nd or 3rd scene) and when Betty is told it's time to wake up, the real crazy section is the waking nightmare world she's living in for having her lover killed.

There are detailed breakdowns online that explain how and why this is the best possible interpretation of events.  On my 3rd viewing, going in with that knowledge, the film made a heck of a lot of sense.  Turned it from a frustrating experiment to one of my favorite films of the decade.

My take is pretty close I took it as a masturbatory fantasy.  You notice the rock facade on the fireplace going in and out of focus.  Why else would the director have the WORST day of his life :)  Shoot - told myself I didn't really care - and look what I did there.
(switchboard)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2009, 12:19:37 AM »
My take is the same as 1SO's though I still believe the cowboy stuff doesn't quite work.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »

Goose Egg Marathon Film #6

High Fidelity
(2000, Stephen Frears)

I screwed up and accidently deleted my review!  To summarize quickly:  This was a lot of fun. All the "top 5" type stuff in the record store was awesome and stripped right from converstations I've had with my friends over a lifetime.  The mix tape stuff was particularily spot on.

I'd stop short of saying it was a "great" film due the dullness of the Laura character.  I never did buy their relationship and him being torn over losing her. To that end - as blasphemous as it sounds - I wasn't convinced Cusak was perfect in this role.  Very good, mind you - but not perfect.  

I will say it was a great Screenplay - among the best I've ever seen.

So overall, probably will sneak somewhere in my Top 250 somewhere in the nostaglia area around The Breakfast Club

Verdict:
Great concept, great screenplay, decent execution.  Good bit of nostolgia.  Overall pretty fun.

Grade: B+ 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:44:34 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »
It's funny for me how many people make a deeply personal connection with this movie.  Yeah, in the 80's I made mix tapes for my sweetie... and for myself... but it just didn't make the personal connection.

Still, a funny, cool, enjoyable movie.  But I never considered it among the greats.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky