Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101412 times)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2009, 01:13:37 AM »
Yep, I've really enjoyed this marathon as well. I've kinda skipped over the discussions on the ones I haven't seen yet, but I'll be back to catch up once I have.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: Ten Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
Compliment Another Filmspotter...

This has been one of my favorite marathons to follow.  I love reading along with the discovery of the new.

I totally agree.

I love your choices, although I think there's a bit too much love for Jesse James and not enough love for Cate Blanchette.  Can't disagree with your best picture winner, though!

What a great marathon!  And great discussions!  And great reviews!  Can't wait for the next ten!

Awww....thanks Steve and everone else for all the kind and motivating words
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:46:53 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
I've updated the first page of this thread to reflect these next 10 movies in the marathon

I've also posted links to the individual reviews and the awards just for myself to help to keep track.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2009, 12:35:48 PM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #11

Joyeux Noël
(2005, Christian Carion)

(again, I managed to delete my original review so I'll quickly sum up what I posted earlier)

This is a "very nice film".  Not extraordinary in any particular area, but very good in most.  The story itself is worth the price of admission - the events of a Christmas Eve in 1914 on the Western Front in WWI. I can see this becoming a fixture of of our holiday movie viewing tradition for years to come.  It sets a great tone for the Christmas season.  Some may have some hesitations about this being an overly evangelical film - I would say it is more that than It's a Wonderful Life.

As you can see there is some very nice imagery here.  For a 2005 film is really has the look and feel of one much older (like early 80's).  If this is what they were going for, than it certainly succeeded!

The female lead in this film you'll recognize as the movie star from Inglourious Basterds

Verdict:
The story is incredibly moving.  The filmmaking is only above average.  Neverthess will be required holiday viewing from now on.

Grade: B 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:54:02 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »
Has anyone seen both Joyeaux Noël and A Midnight Clear?  Are they very similiar or not at all?  I've only seen the Ethan Hawke one because Ethan Hawke is awesome (quiet, worm!).

Anyway, ferris, I think you've sold me on renting Joyeaux Noël this week, assuming I can get it free at Blockbuster when I rent some Filmspot film (Treeless Mountain?).

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
Has anyone seen both Joyeaux Noël and A Midnight Clear?  Are they very similiar or not at all?  I've only seen the Ethan Hawke one because Ethan Hawke is awesome (quiet, worm!).
I've seen both.  Not similar at all.  I had the same thought going into Joyeaux Noël.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
Has anyone seen both Joyeaux Noël and A Midnight Clear?  Are they very similiar or not at all?  I've only seen the Ethan Hawke one because Ethan Hawke is awesome (quiet, worm!).
I've seen both.  Not similar at all.  I had the same thought going into Joyeaux Noël.

Is your review up here somewhere?  I'm really curious about other people's thoughts.  For me it's the type of film that makes it a bit hard to make a critical analysis of the filmmaking apart from the story.  I was trying to put a modern context to this to help me appreciate it's significance....
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
I rented Joyeaux Noël based on stevekimes amazing write-up.

I didn't write a review because I was unmoved by the film and felt oddly disconnected throughout.  Sometimes I don't like to share opinions I know are unpopular, especially when I'm not prepared to defend them.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
I'm really curious about other people's thoughts.  For me it's the type of film that makes it a bit hard to make a critical analysis of the filmmaking apart from the story.  I was trying to put a modern context to this to help me appreciate it's significance....
I've seen it. I agree that it is a little difficult to analyze because it's tricky to separate the power of the story of the real event from the filmmaking. I think overall I liked it less than I hoped I would - I thought the filmmaking was fairly unremarkable, and while the performances were solid, none really stood out as all that special. I did also think the film felt a bit long - I know that's an annoying criticism, and I'd have to watch it again to say more and justify my feeling, but I do remember thinking, "I wish they'd get to what I really want to see - the event itself." Still, that overall story has a special kind of power and I didn't think that anything in the film necessarily detracted from that power. The story wasn't sentimentalized as it could easily have been; I was genuinely moved by it, and like you, ferris, I'd like to watch it with my kids when they're old enough.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »
I rented Joyeaux Noël based on stevekimes amazing write-up.

I didn't write a review because I was unmoved by the film and felt oddly disconnected throughout.  Sometimes I don't like to share opinions I know are unpopular, especially when I'm not prepared to defend them.

That's ok!  Thanks for sharing.  And I can see that.  I had that issue with Brick earlier this month.  Not sure what it was I didn't like - but it just didn't hit me like it seemingly did everyone else.
(switchboard)