love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101331 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
Great write up!  I've seen bits and pieces of this movie but really have wanted to sit down and watch the whole thing.

Thanks Colleen.  Has this been on television?  (HBO or something?) How have you caught bits and pieces of it?  I think Youtube has this actually come to think of it
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »
Nice write up ferris. I don't remember anything that was said during the documentary when I watched it, but even if it were nothing more than showing Goldsworthy's work it would still be worth watching.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
Nice write up ferris. I don't remember anything that was said during the documentary when I watched it, but even if it were nothing more than showing Goldsworthy's work it would still be worth watching.

I agree.  It's worth watching!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Great write up!  I've seen bits and pieces of this movie but really have wanted to sit down and watch the whole thing.

Thanks Colleen.  Has this been on television?  (HBO or something?) How have you caught bits and pieces of it?  I think Youtube has this actually come to think of it

Actually now that I think about it, I think I saw clips from YouTube posted here somewhere!  But it is streaming on Netflix and in my queue there.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2010, 07:04:37 AM »
Nicely done Ferris, this film is now on my radar.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #225 on: January 04, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #14

Cidade de Deus (City of God)
(2003, Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund)

Wow, some powerful stuff here.  Y'all don't want me to sleep well at night do you?  Between this, Children of Men and United 93!  

It doesn’t take long to digest the irony of the title of this film --  refering to the government housing and sounding slums outside of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).  Here society is so overtaken by drugs and violence that prepubescent children take up sides in territorial gang disputes and kindergarten-aged kids imagine themselves the next drug lord.   I was amazed to read later that City of God is based on actual events in that area from 1960s and 1970s.  

The directors brought this to life with a frenzied, gritty look.  For instance the film opens with a scene of chickens being cleaned for a meal - the use of fast cuts and hand-held camera sequences throw you immediately into the high intensity of this world.  I can't say I was let out once.

I have to say - this film certainly did it's job of immersing you in this culture - perhaps unmericilessly so.  This, Munich, and Slumdog Millionaire would make for a interesting triple bill for "cultured westerner" griping about his iPhone's download speed.

The film is narrated by a character named Rocket (Alexandre Rodrigues), a would-be photographer who manages for a while to avoid participation in the violence that surrounds him, despite being a degree of separation from Li'l Zé's – the young gang lord.  Rocket’s narration anchors the story and provides a bit of levity and perspective in places that is a nice break for what otherwise is very difficult material to sit through.  

he violence in the film is pretty shocking at times – mostly because of the involvement of young children.  I caught myself rooting for violence against a six year old at one point – I shook my head and realized how deep the tragedy is in this part of the world on how I myself had got caught up in it.

It was pretty interesting to read that most of the actors here were people taken right from these same villages - having no background at all in front of a camera.  You wouldn't know it from the performances.  They were amazing across the board.  I think in particular the character of Li'l Zé' (played by Douglas Silva) was played so unflinchingly unsympathetic but not at all one-dimensional.  

The message here is one also so well told in Munich - that, in any culture where violence begets violence, only the names change. When one member is killed, another will rise in his place. The difference here is how young they get started.  

Tough watch, but I’m so glad I watched it.  Thanks for this recommendation.  

So the interest of this marathon I’m doing is to help me form a legitimate top 50 for the decade.  I can certainly see this in the running.

Verdict:
Difficult material well told and well grounded.  High respect, but I have little interest in rewatching!

Grade: B+ 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:00:02 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2010, 12:51:58 AM »
What's this? Junior loves a movie that is very pretty cinematographically and is focused on a photographer? How absurd.

But seriously, I'm glad you liked it. It's a favorite of mine. And yes, Munich and, to a lesser extent, Slumdog Millionare are good movies. But I have an iPod Touch, not an iPhone. Ha!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2010, 01:49:02 AM »
It gets better (and easier to watch if that is a qualm) with repeat viewings. Very nice collection of screenshots. Fabulous film.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #228 on: January 04, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »
I don't know about the comparison to Munich, but I will wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cidade de Deus. I love that movie.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #229 on: January 04, 2010, 08:14:46 AM »
I don't know about the comparison to Munich, but I will wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cidade de Deus. I love that movie.

Then how come I do not see it in your Top 100?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx