Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101389 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
What's this? Junior loves a movie that is very pretty cinematographically and is focused on a photographer? How absurd.

But seriously, I'm glad you liked it. It's a favorite of mine. And yes, Munich and, to a lesser extent, Slumdog Millionare are good movies. But I have an iPod Touch, not an iPhone. Ha!

I like when people read the whole review :)

I don't know about the comparison to Munich, but I will wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cidade de Deus. I love that movie.

Both seem to illustrate pretty well the myopia of thinking "if we just knock off this one guy..." pretty well.  BTW Bin Laden is still at large

Quote from: chardy999
Very nice collection of screenshots

Thanks!  I work very hard at finding scenes that invoke certain parts of a film without giving away anything in terms of spoilers
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
I don't know about the comparison to Munich, but I will wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Cidade de Deus. I love that movie.

Both seem to illustrate pretty well the myopia of thinking "if we just knock off this one guy..." pretty well.  BTW Bin Laden is still at large

Hmm..I guess so. It's just they seem so stylistically different that it's hard to compare the two. Also, Munich, not to say it isnst good(I really liked it), but it's reality is more cut and dry then City of God's. which is just this mess of morality's all thrown into one.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
Excellent review, Ferris.  I don't exactly "love" this movie, but it is certainly one of the best of the last decade.  And you don't have to look, I do have it on my top 100.

The main thing I got out of the movie wasn't so much the ability to replace one leader for another (I think the Wire did that more clearly), but the participation of children in the cycle of violence.  Most of the participants of wars in Africa are teenagers.  And the  fact that all the violent acts are done by children I just couldn't shake.  It felt like a slap in the face each time I saw a child firing a gun. 

But I also loved the human element of the story.  It isn't just about child gangs, but about Rocket trying to find love and it is also a "coming of age" story in a radical circumstance, like a really intense Stand By Me.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2010, 12:06:21 PM »
Excellent review, Ferris.  I don't exactly "love" this movie, but it is certainly one of the best of the last decade.  And you don't have to look, I do have it on my top 100.

The main thing I got out of the movie wasn't so much the ability to replace one leader for another (I think the Wire did that more clearly), but the participation of children in the cycle of violence.  Most of the participants of wars in Africa are teenagers.  And the  fact that all the violent acts are done by children I just couldn't shake.  It felt like a slap in the face each time I saw a child firing a gun. 

But I also loved the human element of the story.  It isn't just about child gangs, but about Rocket trying to find love and it is also a "coming of age" story in a radical circumstance, like a really intense Stand By Me.

Good points - particularly on the children.  The one scene where he shot the kids in the foot was especially troubling when you see the one kid break down and cry.

And yeah, it was a really good choice to have the story told through Rocket - it would be that much harder for an audience to digest this without somelike like him to relate to.

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
This is possibly one of the most thorough discussions I've read on the film's content.  For most of its initial release people couldn't stop talking about the intense visual style and directorial muscle, which is considerable.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2010, 01:06:51 PM »
Cidade de Deus (City of God)

The tv series City of Men is recommended if you liked City of God.  The film City of Men wraps up the tv series.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »

The tv series City of Men is recommended if you liked City of God.  The film City of Men wraps up the tv series.

Really?  I thought that I would be disappointed in it after the intensity of the movie.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

Really?  I thought that I would be disappointed in it after the intensity of the movie.
I was.  Mostly bored.  Like a sequel done by less talented artists.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »

It's not anywhere near as great as City of God.  But it is my opinion that the tv series is worth watching.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
...For most of its initial release people couldn't stop talking about the intense visual style and directorial muscle, which is considerable...

It's something so effective that I didn't realize the impact it was having on me until I went through it a second time.  That is saying something.  I've found myself overly aware of the filmmaking and choices in films these last few years.  Only this, United 93 and Avatar were so immersive that I totally forgot about it.   Just rewatching the frantic opening really sets one's mind in a really uneven place - in particular with that dark rooster symbolism.
(switchboard)