love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101329 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
Indeed.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
You two are so cute.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #252 on: January 14, 2010, 02:55:02 PM »
You two are so cute.

I'm a fox, it's true.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #253 on: January 14, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
So glad you enjoyed it, Ferris.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2010, 12:38:59 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #16

The Science of Sleep
(2006, Michel Gondry)

"Randomness is very difficult to achieve"

It's hard to come out of the Science of Sleep without thinking about Michel Gondre's previous film, the Charlie Kaufman penned Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Both are mindbending distortions of time and consciousness with bombastic imagery but heart at it's core.  However if the two films were Pink Floyd CDs, Eternal Sunshine would be "Dark of the Moon" and The Science of Sleep would be "The Wall".  The first being slightly more consumable, atmospheric and consistant in quality...the second being more daring, a bit more of a challenge to get your bearings with highs higher and lows lower.  In both cases the results are feast for the eyes and a thoroughly satisfying experience.

The Science of sleep centers around a young single inventor, artist and tinkerer, Stephane (Gael García Bernal) who has difficulty discerning his dreams from his waking life.  Complications arise as he attempts to become romantically involved with his French neighbor Stephanie (Charlotte Gainsbourg) in the apartment across the way.  The film gives the audience no more clues than Stephanie has as to his current state of consciousness from one scene to the next - which admittedly be extremely frustrating for an unsympathetic audience member, but I really enjoyed the challenge.  

None of this would work without great performances by Bernal and Gainsbourg.  Their flirty, dysfunctional relationship elevates the film - giving the sureal set of mind games a much-needed grounding and some real sweetness.  It was pretty easy to emphasize with Stephane's inability to make a connection, and Stephanie's challenge at understanding why he was so random from meeting to the next.  At one point the two are discussing a project to work on together involving trees and a boat.  Their enthusiasm in infectious.  Gondre mixes the scene with real and imagined elements which are particularily effective.  Another scene Stephanie and a girlfriend are giggling as they watch him through a peep-hole.  I have to admit grinning ear to ear through some of this.

Perhaps where The Science of Sleep will play second fiddle to Eternal Sunshine is simply in the fact the lessons here are less poigniant and effecting.  It's not really a knock on the film - this wasn't what it was going for. It's more a "what if" set of questions, whereas Sunshine's themes are more universal.  Nevertheless, I can really recommend to this to someone his is looking for something that's not quite the standard fare - a relationship movie with brains or one of those "out there" movies that is just cohensive enough to keep it out of Von Trier territory.

Anyways - a fun fun film.  One of my favorites from the marathon.  It's not as likely I will end up purchasing this (like I did with Jesse James, Spirited Awway, Children of Men and Eternal Sunshine) but I'm sure I'll sure look forward to watching it again .

Verdict:
Magical, inventive and twisted in the best sense of the word.  Great imagery meets great characters

Grade: A 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:03:39 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »
You picked some great screenshots. I'm so glad you liked it. This movie has an exceedingly special place in my heart. It is just pure glee for me.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »
This started my love for both leads. And Gondry.

I think I mesh with this movie better than Eternal Sunshine. Though I've only seen each once.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
Seeing those screenshots really made me want to see this again. It's a very memorable movie, and a really fun time.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
Already in my queue.  I'm really looking forward to it now.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Not since Jesse James have I had so many great images to choose from!  I'm glad they are evocative to people!

BTW, anyone else just fall in love with Charlotte Gainsbourg in this?  
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)