Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101336 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: TWENTY Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #270 on: January 25, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »
I love In the Bedroom , and I liked The Fountain a lot - excellent write-ups!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #271 on: January 25, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »
I didn't care too much for The Fountain when I saw it several years ago, but dang if it isn't gorgeous as can be. I want to rewatch it for that if nothing else, but I'm guessing I would also be more receptive to the story than I was before.

Nice writeup!

thanks!  I had a bit trouble connecting to the story as well - it's as if I was being intentionally left an arm's length away.  On the other hand there are lots of scenes of unwiped tears (you-know that 'dribble down the cheek' thing) so....dunno.

The problem I have with it is that it feels like it should be more epic than it is.

Good way to say it.

If memory serves, you were the main proponent of In the Bedroom.  Thanks for pushing that one!  I loved it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:30:00 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #272 on: January 25, 2010, 12:30:42 AM »

If memory serves, you were the main proponent of In the Bedroom.  Thanks for pushing that one!  I loved it.
So glad my recommendation turned out so well!

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #273 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:06 AM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #16

The Science of Sleep
(2006, Michel Gondry)

I just saw this film. Wow.

It's amazing. What makes it work is that Stephane is such a complex character, both relatable in his solipsism and his attempts to communicate his interior life with the external world, and unsympathetic when the film goes objective and almost verite. We see who he really is, and then we see how he projects himself. This film is essentially stream of conscious, and it's far sadder than some might think.

This film really connected with me. Wonderful movie.

I haven't watched it since it first came out but this is exactly how I remember feeling after watching it. Liked it so much.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #274 on: January 25, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »
Another great review ferris. I could stand to watch The Fountain and In the Bedroom again. The Fountain especially.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #275 on: January 25, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
The Fountain is the only film that has given me a headache from being so overwhelmingly beautiful. I don't think the story is all there but it's still an amazing film I love.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Announcing the next two rounds of my GooseEgg Marathon:(I may try to do 10 more to round out a full 50, but I think this is pretty ambitious for now!)

Round Three:
(with one 90's film (!) )

Before Sunrise
The Hurt Locker
World's Greatest Dad
The Fantastic Mr Fox
Y Tu Mama Tambien
25th Hour
The Man Who Wasn't There
A Prairie Home Companion
Capturing the Friedmans
Team America World Police

Notes on Round 3:
As you might notice, I'm trying to squeeze three 2009 Filmspot eligible films in before the deadline.  Not sure if they really qualify for "best of the decade" yet, but hey it's my list.  You'll also notice I have a 1990's film on there.  Well that's because you'll see it's sequel is in the next round. So that's my cheat on the round 3.  I added two "fun" ones here "Team America" and "Prairie Home" just because round 4 is a bit somber in places.

Round 4:

Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World
Requiem for a Dream
Los Angeles Plays Itself
The Bourn Ultimatum
Grizzly Man
My Winnipeg
A History of Violence
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
The Squid and the Whale
Before Sunset

Notes on Round 4:
Trying to round out the rest of the "mainstream" films.  If I end up having time I'll add a fifth and final round for more foreign stuff like Eureka, Moolaade, Triplettes of Belville, and L'Enfant.  Too many movies too little time.  The cheat on this list is Grizzly Man.  I did see this once - with no idea no Herzog was and expecting a nature documentary. I wanted it with my wife who was not down and let it be known throughout the film.  I'm wanting to give it another chance (like I did with Eternal Sunshine in round 2)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:30:12 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:11 AM »
Great variety. There's some films there I hope you really enjoy, and a few I hope you hate ;)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Before Sunrise isn't from this past decade. But you should watch it, then watch Before Sunset, which is from this past decade. Both wonderful.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Bourne! Locker! America!!! No Belleville? Aw. But still, awesome!!

After this we doin the miyazaki stuff?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

love