love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101351 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #340 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »
Ok I am going to get this to watch this week.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #341 on: February 05, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
Awesome Ferris. I'm really glad you dug it. A favourite of mine as well. I happened to love Pepper in the role. You've gotta admit, he get's ALL of the best lines. Most of 'em laugh out loud funny ;D

I think my favourite moment from the film is this scene:

You actually see a friendship fall apart over the course of one conversation. And it's capped off with one the colder, nastier insults ever delivered, and a hell of a slap in return. It kinda takes your breath away!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:56 PM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #27

A Prairie Home Companion
(2006, Robert Altman)

Twenty minutes in I was really having a blast with this, and I was thinking this would be a highlight of the marathon.  I had a couple good belly laughs and I was really diggin' the down-home tone and knee slappin' performances.  I was enjoying the witty banter between Meryl Streep and Tilly Tomlin and was really looking forward to where it would go next.  And for the most part it kept on doing the same thing.  Which was...fine....but all-in-all just resulted in a nice evening of entertainment and not a whole lot more.  It's one that would be a good safe pick when you have to watch a movie with your folks or whatever.  

The setup is, we have an on-stage live recording of an AM folk music show in this vintage theater in St. Paul.  They've been running this show for decades, but this night is different.  All signs point to this being the last night their vintage theater will be open - most likely this will be the last performance they'll all have together.  The film centers around the performances .  I'm not generally a fan of this type of music but I found myself having a a lot of fun with it - seeing guys like Woody Harrelson and Meryl Streep whoop it up without a hint of irony. Garrison Keillor (the actually PHC guy) is our MOC and is fun to watch here.  

There is a lose narrative thread about a woman dressed in white, and another plot of a visiting Texan.  I think the film was trying to something pretty poignant there and it missed the mark by a bit.  But all in all, not much to complain about.  

It might be an interesting rorschak test to see if audiences thought the Minnesotans portrayed here were being honored or ridiculed in this.  I saw hints of both.  I'm not from the mid-west but seem to find myself pulling for them.  Probably a Coen brothers thing, ya?

So anyways I suppose if you've heard reviews of this and are interested, it's likely pretty close to what you're expecting.  It was a nice light film in a marathon that has featured some pretty intense material over the months.  Glad I watched it.  

Verdict:
Harmless entertainment - a lot of fun and pretty humorous in places but not a whole lot more.

Grade: B

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:26:49 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2010, 10:50:57 PM »
I wish I knew how to appreciate 25th Hour as much as you and everyone else.
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2010, 10:53:42 PM »
Awesome Ferris. I'm really glad you dug it. A favourite of mine as well. I happened to love Pepper in the role. You've gotta admit, he get's ALL of the best lines. Most of 'em laugh out loud funny ;D

That is a powerful scene.  Yeah - he does have the great lines.  He was good under that arch in that scene toward the end.

Speaking of the end, I'm totally thinking oh no, no don't end this way, no don't end this way, don't end this way..........ahhhhhhh...whew!!!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2010, 11:10:41 PM »
Eh...Maybe someday I'll give 25th Hour another chance, but it's not likely. I really didn't like it the first time.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009
« Reply #346 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »
It might be an interesting rorschak test to see if audiences thought the Minnesotans portrayed here were being honored or ridiculed in this.  I saw hints of both.  I'm not from the mid-west but seem to find myself pulling for them.  Probably a Coen brothers thing, ya?

I'm from the Twin Cities originally and PHC is one of our cultural touchstones. It is definitely not something that ridicules Minnesotans. It is just very...earnest. I should also point out that having a background knowledge of the show does help make some of the stuff make more sense. I can see the lady in the white coat noir side-story in particular not making sense without having heard a few Guy Noir skits.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »

That is a powerful scene.  Yeah - he does have the great lines.  He was good under that arch in that scene toward the end.

Speaking of the end, I'm totally thinking oh no, no don't end this way, no don't end this way, don't end this way..........ahhhhhhh...whew!!!

About the ending, the first time I watched it I actually thought that it was open ended and that maybe he didn't go to jail and that all that nice stuff is what actually happened. I missed the fact that in that very last shot they drive past the GW bridge, thereby sealing his fate. Anyways, I went on thinking that until the 2nd or 3rd time I watched it.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009
« Reply #348 on: February 06, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »

I'm from the Twin Cities originally and PHC is one of our cultural touchstones. It is definitely not something that ridicules Minnesotans. It is just very...earnest. I should also point out that having a background knowledge of the show does help make some of the stuff make more sense. I can see the lady in the white coat noir side-story in particular not making sense without having heard a few Guy Noir skits.

You're right, I hadn't heard of Guy Noir before seeing this.  Probably would have helped
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »

About the ending, the first time I watched it I actually thought that it was open ended and that maybe he didn't go to jail and that all that nice stuff is what actually happened. I missed the fact that in that very last shot they drive past the GW bridge, thereby sealing his fate. Anyways, I went on thinking that until the 2nd or 3rd time I watched it.

Oh funny.  I can see that.  It was only obvious to me because I had enough familiarity with the area.  Come to think of it, you're right - that's laying a big assumption on audience around the country (and world for that matter) that would have no way of knowing really.
(switchboard)