Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101409 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2010, 12:29:43 PM »
BTW: I challenge anyone to watch this film, then Slingblade, A Simple Plan, and Bad Santa in succession and tell me BBT isn't a great actor.
:)

Great review. Like you, noir has never really been my thing, but your positive review has me curious. What do you think ferris, would I like it?

I did really enjoy it quite a bit but I think in the end I don't think this will have any lasting hold on me.  As a function of rounding out your Coen's filmography, it's probably wise to catch up with this eventually - because its themes can inform your viewing of their other films.   It's maybe the only Noir film I've ever liked (If you recall I was particularly uninterested in Brick earlier in this marathon) so as a curiosity as to how it can be done in a palatable way - it's certainly worth a viewing.  How's that for a lukewarm recommendation?

27-Brick

Oh..Well...Um...

Yeah.  Sorry about that.   
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:32:37 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
BTW: I challenge anyone to watch this film, then Slingblade, A Simple Plan, and Bad Santa in succession and tell me BBT isn't a great actor.
:)

Great review. Like you, noir has never really been my thing, but your positive review has me curious. What do you think ferris, would I like it?

I did really enjoy it quite a bit but I think in the end I don't think this will have any lasting hold on me.  As a function of rounding out your Coen's filmography, it's probably wise to catch up with this eventually - because its themes can inform your viewing of their other films.   It's maybe the only Noir film I've ever liked (If you recall I was particularly uninterested in Brick earlier in this marathon) so as a curiosity as to how it can be done in a palatable way - it's certainly worth a viewing.  How's that for a lukewarm recommendation?
Hah, pretty good. :)

I don't think I entirely understand what noir is. For instance it never would've occured to be to call Brick noir. I guess I probably haven't seen enough examples of it to be able to recognize it. To me noir means a black and white film, melodramatic acting, and men with hats.

I'm not too worried about seeing all the Coen films at this point (I disliked A Serious Man waaaay too much) and I'm pretty sure the connective themes will be lost on me. This sounds like a pass for me.

I did love Brick though... go figure.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »

I don't think I entirely understand what noir is. For instance it never would've occured to be to call Brick noir. I guess I probably haven't seen enough examples of it to be able to recognize it. To me noir means a black and white film, melodramatic acting, and men with hats.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm quite the expert either.  For what it's worth the first line of the wikipedia page for Brick says "Brick is a 2005 American film noir written and directed by Rian Johnson.".  It's on the internet so it must be true! ;)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Any comment on the UFO subplot.  That's where the film really lost my attention, and there's a shot in the end dealing with it that I really didn't like.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
Any comment on the UFO subplot.  That's where the film really lost my attention, and there's a shot in the end dealing with it that I really didn't like.

I loved that deal at the end but was mildly disappointed that it turned out to be a dream sequence.  I loved that scene where the wife comes to Ed's door with that crazy story.  Just comical how no one even once considers the possibility of him being the murderer and blackmailer
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:32:10 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »
I loved TMWWT, and unlike you it has stayed with me perhaps the most of any Coens film and when all is said and done is probably their second best film behind only Barton Fink. Great write-up though.

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
Any comment on the UFO subplot.  That's where the film really lost my attention, and there's a shot in the end dealing with it that I really didn't like.

I think it perfectly fits the movie. The man is something of a human alien.

Love this film. Also, Carter Burwell does a short, but really beautiful piece of music on the soundtrack. Probably my favorite thing he's done.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2010, 01:43:19 PM »
8-Yi Yi
9-25th Hour

I like seeing Grade A Yi Yi ahead of Grade A+ 25th Hour.  Does this mean Yi Yi has improved in your mind over time?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2010, 08:18:19 PM »
8-Yi Yi
9-25th Hour

I like seeing Grade A Yi Yi ahead of Grade A+ 25th Hour.  Does this mean Yi Yi has improved in your mind over time?

pixote

Man those two are so close.  But I do think you're right.  I think Yi Yi has improved for me with time.   However everytime I hear Springsteen's "The Fuse" 25th hour shoots up to #1 again before settling back down to the middle again
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:22:37 PM by ferris »
(switchboard)

LeosAxe

« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »

Ranked best to worst:
1-Spirited Away

Correct!

love