love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101340 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I really like it, but the books are even better.

I'm very curious about these.  Might need to check some of those out and revisit

I'd say give the first one (Master and Commander) a try, if you like it, you'll like the rest of them too.  The nautical terminology can be tough at the beginning, but eventually you get the hang of it.

You just sold me. I love esoteric terminology. :)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' Goose Egg Marathon: FORTY(!) Great Films from this Decade (2000-2009)
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »

I'm very curious about these.  Might need to check some of those out and revisit

I'd say give the first one (Master and Commander) a try, if you like it, you'll like the rest of them too.  The nautical terminology can be tough at the beginning, but eventually you get the hang of it.

You have never seen this Smirnoff? You will LOVE it I guarantee. It is totally your kind of movie.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #392 on: February 21, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

You have never seen this Smirnoff? You will LOVE it I guarantee. It is totally your kind of movie.

Oh I meant the book. I've actually seen the movie. I saw it way back when it first came out. I have almost no memory of it now, other than it was a positive experience. I was only 18 or 19 at the time though and hardly into film like I am now. I guess I should rewatch it eh :)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »

Oh I meant the book. I've actually seen the movie. I saw it way back when it first came out. I have almost no memory of it now, other than it was a positive experience. I was only 18 or 19 at the time though and hardly into film like I am now. I guess I should rewatch it eh :)

I am amazed it is not on your top 100 to be honest. It is about sailing, outdoors, huge battles etc. It is made for you. Not to mention it is pure awesome.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »

I am amazed it is not on your top 100 to be honest. It is about sailing, outdoors, huge battles etc. It is made for you. Not to mention it is pure awesome.

It's got a priority spot in my queue now ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

I LOVE all that stuff too.  I'm puzzled how the film was unable to generate any excitement for me.  I think I just wants more sailing, more outdoors and mor....err...actually the huge battles were pretty friggin awesome.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2010, 11:59:47 PM »
It's funny because I'm not a fan of naval anything-- not even the oranges-- so I thought I'd be bored watching the movie.  However, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I watched it again with my 9 year old a few months ago and we were both so inspired by it that we invented a new version of Risk for it.  I love this film.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #397 on: February 22, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »
It's funny because I'm not a fan of naval anything-- not even the oranges-- so I thought I'd be bored watching the movie.  However, it instantly became one of my favorites.  I watched it again with my 9 year old a few months ago and we were both so inspired by it that we invented a new version of Risk for it.  I love this film.

Wow.  I didn't expect to be in the minority on this one.  I obviously missed something!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #398 on: February 22, 2010, 08:30:01 AM »
I haven't seen it. The only reason I'm saying I haven't seen it is because I think Ferris would enjoy hearing from someone who isn't telling him he's wrong :)
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2010, 09:17:14 AM »
I haven't seen it. The only reason I'm saying I haven't seen it is because I think Ferris would enjoy hearing from someone who isn't telling him he's wrong :)

:P
(switchboard)

love