Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101359 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome

After about 5 minutes of this, I decided I'd much rather be Charlie Kaufman's therapist than Guy Maddin's.  Listen dude.  I'm glad you got a chance to get this all off your chest.  Hope you feel better.  Sorry about you mom, the sleep walking and the forks and all that.  Next time you want to move though, make two calls: mover and a relator.  It's not rocket science.   Hope your new home works out for you.  
[/center]

I hate saying this, because it sounds so condescending, but I think you kind of missed the point (which is understandable because it's pretty well hidden :D ). It's only very loosely autobiographical. Most of it is made up for cinematic effect. It's a docu-fantasy as some have called it.

I think you may have taken it a little to "on-the-nose".

Nonetheless, even though it is on my top 100, I can totally understand people not liking it. There are some movies where hating it makes someone insane imo (Before Sunset, 12 Angry Men, etc) and some movies where loving it kind of makes you insane (My Winnipeg).

You really cant just step into a Guy Maddin film without having seen some of his other films and some of the classic films he is riffing off.

Too bad you didnt like it more though Ferris. :(

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"

After about 5 minutes of this, I decided I'd much rather be Charlie Kaufman's therapist than Guy Maddin's.  Listen dude.  I'm glad you got a chance to get this all off your chest.  Hope you feel better.  Sorry about you mom, the sleep walking and the forks and all that.  Next time you want to move though, make two calls: mover and a relator.  It's not rocket science.   Hope your new home works out for you.  
[/center]

I hate saying this, because it sounds so condescending, but I think you kind of missed the point (which is understandable because it's pretty well hidden :D ). It's only very loosely autobiographical. Most of it is made up for cinematic effect. It's a docu-fantasy as some have called it.

Oh really?  there wasn't actually a canadian tv series called "Ledgeman"?   ;)

(I'd hope you'd give me a bit more credit than that by this point Clovis)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:35:35 AM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome

[/center]

Oh really?  there wasn't actually a canadian tv series called "Ledgeman"?   ;)

(I'd hope you'd give me a bit more credit than that by this point Clovis)

I knew you knew some it was fake, I was just pointing out that most of it is actually fake.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
I knew you knew some it was fake, I was just pointing out that most of it is actually fake.

I'm pretty sure I get what he was going after.  It did take a period of adjustment because I had expected a "whimsical documentary".  :o But even after that, I have to admit I just wasn't all that interested....I actually enjoy when a director takes his pretention to a logical extreme - like in Pi or Science of Sleep - but for some reason this just didn't hook me into his style or themes at all. 

I always feel bad ripping on a film then finding out it's someone's favorite!  Sorry about that!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:18:00 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome

I always feel bad ripping on a film then finding out it's someone's favorite!  Sorry about that!

No problem. Like I said I understand why people would not like it.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade
« Reply #455 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:58 PM »
I can't wait to see us argue over movies I love in the Miyazaki marathon.  :D

Seriously, your two least favourites are both movies I love.

Yeah but what about my two favorites?  :)
(switchboard)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #456 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:46 PM »
Maddin is definitely not for everybody, ferris. Too bad you didn't dig it.

BTW, I haven't posted in here in a while but I have been reading along...this is a very cool marathon.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »

BTW, I haven't posted in here in a while but I have been reading along...this is a very cool marathon.

Are his other films similar in style?  I recall hearing an extensive interview with him for the "Saddest Music in the World" on one of the podcasts and I found the guy to be a really compelling storyteller and pretty worldly and articulate in his answers.   For the life of me I can't remember where I heard this now.....I was on a plane while I was listening if that helps ;)
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #458 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
See what you think of this one:

GUY MADDIN - The Heart of the World
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #459 on: March 05, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »

Are his other films similar in style?  I recall hearing an extensive interview with him for the "Saddest Music in the World" on one of the podcasts and I found the guy to be a really compelling storyteller and pretty worldly and articulate in his answers.   For the life of me I can't remember where I heard this now.....I was on a plane while I was listening if that helps ;)

Yep they are the same. Winnipeg is sort of his masterpiece, having refined his technique with his earlier films. All use the old style of black and white cinematography, and silent film editing. Since you hated this one, I really doubt you will like his other films. You should try though.