love

Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101337 times)

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade
« Reply #460 on: March 05, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
Maddin is definitely not for everybody, ferris. Too bad you didn't dig it.
BTW, I haven't posted in here in a while but I have been reading along...this is a very cool marathon.
Are his other films similar in style?  I recall hearing an extensive interview with him for the "Saddest Music in the World" on one of the podcasts and I found the guy to be a really compelling storyteller and pretty worldly and articulate in his answers.   For the life of me I can't remember where I heard this now.....I was on a plane while I was listening if that helps ;)
My Winnipeg is probably his most accessible film, so if that one didn't take it's probably not worth putting too much more effort into him. But maybe check out The Heart of the World, it's short and on YouTube.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #461 on: March 05, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »
See what you think of this one:

The Heart of the World

I love that the message of this film is basically the same as Inglourious Basterds! :D

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #462 on: March 05, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
BTW, I haven't posted in here in a while but I have been reading along...this is a very cool marathon.
Are his other films similar in style?  I recall hearing an extensive interview with him for the "Saddest Music in the World" on one of the podcasts and I found the guy to be a really compelling storyteller and pretty worldly and articulate in his answers.   For the life of me I can't remember where I heard this now.....I was on a plane while I was listening if that helps ;)
My Winnipeg is probably his most accessible film, so if that one didn't take it's probably not worth putting too much more effort into him. But maybe check out The Heart of the World, it's short and on YouTube.

Well "accessibility" wasn't really my issue with it.  Whatever the word is for the opposite of "assessibility" - let's use "quirk" for lack of better word - there's good "quirk" and bad "quirk".   I think I actually prefer to see his particular brand of "quirk" less mainstream if that makes sense.  I'll check out that clip
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »
I'm a bit bummed that everyone has jumped on my hate for My Winnipeg instead of my love for SSFWS.  I'd MUCH rather talk about that film!!  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:34:45 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
You should still watch Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary though. It's quite possibly the best vampire film of the decade.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #465 on: March 05, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
Are his other films similar in style?  I recall hearing an extensive interview with him for the "Saddest Music in the World" on one of the podcasts and I found the guy to be a really compelling storyteller and pretty worldly and articulate in his answers.   For the life of me I can't remember where I heard this now.....I was on a plane while I was listening if that helps ;)

Well "accessibility" wasn't really my issue with it.  Whatever the word is for the opposite of "assessibility" - let's use "quirk" for lack of better word - there's good "quirk" and bad "quirk".   I think I actually prefer to see his particular brand of "quirk" less mainstream if that makes sense.  I'll check out that clip

Heart of the World!  See now 5 minutes of that was far more interesting that any 5 minutes of My Winnipeg!  Thanks for that link.  

I have to admit HotW does kinda inform MW a bit now.  Still doesn't make me like it.  But understand it a bit more?  Yeah for sure
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #466 on: March 05, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
I'm a bit bummed that everyone has jumped on my hate for My Winnipeg instead of my love for SSFWS.  I'd MUCH rather talk about that film!!  :)

Heh, can't help you. Haven't seen it :)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #467 on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:52 PM »
I can't wait to see us argue over movies I love in the Miyazaki marathon.  :D

Seriously, your two least favourites are both movies I love.

Yeah but what about my two favorites?  :)

Damn, I can't stay mad for long Ferris. (Actually I was only a bit annoyed for two seconds anyways but..) I absolutely adore four of your top 5 movies. I've just never seen United 93.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #468 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Ki-Duk Kim, 2003)

First of all I hope you don't mind me posting my review for this film in your thread, ferris. It seemed like the most appropriate place for it considering it was your review that got me to sit down and watch it tonight.

What sold me on it was the images of the isolated monastery and this line:
I love the thought of hanging out at this place for weeks and months at a time.  Watching this film takes me there however briefly.

You also said that you loved spending time in meditation with this film. Now that I've seen it for myself I know just how you feel.

The not so subtle symbolism was, for me, absolutely critical. I don't take too well to films that are wholly cryptic and SSFW&S gave me rock solid anchor point. From there I could explore to my heart's content without risk of going adrift.

There was a few times the film that had me worried. I thought "oh no, what's this movie going to turn into?". I was enjoying myself so much already I wasn't sure I wanted anything to happen. Buuuuut it all worked out in the end.

You pretty much said it all already ferris. I just wanted it to add that you're right. :)

IMDB link
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:45:10 PM by smirnoff »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Ki-Duk Kim, 2003)

First of all I hope you don't mind me posting my review for this film in your thread, ferris. It seemed like the most appropriate place for it considering it was your review that got me to sit down and watch it tonight...

You also said that you loved spending time in meditation with this film. Now that I've seen it for myself I know just how you feel.

The not so subtle symbolism was, for me, absolutely critical. I don't take too well to films that are wholly cryptic and SSFW&S gave me rock solid anchor point. From there I could explore to my heart's content without risk of going adrift.

There was a few times the film that had me worried. I thought "oh no, what's this movie going to turn into?". I was enjoying myself so much already I wasn't sure I wanted anything to happen. Buuuuut it all worked out in the end.

You pretty much said it all already ferris. I just wanted it to add that you're right. :)

This totally made my day!  :)

So glad you liked it.  That's pretty awesome.
(switchboard)