Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101357 times)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »

4)I love the fact that the conversation was at a much higher level of maturity than in the first film - and they acknowledged it.  The characters were in different places in their lives. The concerns are different, heavier but no more rational, or less hypocritical in nature.  Doesn't this make you just want to see them again in about 10 years to meet again?
I don't know if I agree that their conversations are more mature, I think it's just more like you say that they are at a different point in their lives and have changed their ways. I'm not at that point and perhaps that's why I didn't find it as good as the first one.

And as for seeing them in ten years...there's been talk of another film. Maybe in 2014?

I think it is impossible to appreciate Sunset fully unless you are at least in your 30s.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
Goose Egg Marathon Film #41 - BONUS!

Encounters at the End of the World
(2008, Werner Herzog

"I think that's a logical place to find each other...This place almost works as a natural selection for people that have this intention to jump off the margin of the map"

Since beginning to record and catalog my thoughts on this forum a year ago, I've begun to notice a trend in the films I love: an obsession with a singular character or theme.  Just from my top 25: Synecdoche, NY, Close Encounters, JFK.  I mean, my #12 is Adaptation - a film about the very concept of obsession.

In Werner Herzog's documentary Encounters at the End of the World, we have a theme and location mined for all its wealth:  The continent of Antarctica - the good and the bad - the character of the land, and the characters on the land.  Not only do we get to enjoy the subjects of his examination but we are also audience to the character of the obsessor himself: Herzog.  

I love his choices.  I love that when he interviews a character he keeps the camera running for a minute - so we can see the facade and pretence break down if only fleetingly.  

I love that he goes to find penguins and  - instead of examining their norms, he analyzes the fringes of their society.  

Best of all, we get TIME to take it all in.  I feel like I visited there.  As many documentaries as I've seen from Antarctica, how many took a moment to talk about the bowling alley?

Great doc. You can't count me as the newest Herzog fan

Verdict:
I'm finding myself quite obsessed with the things Herzog gets obsessed about.  Brilliant documentary.

Grade: A+
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Love the review. You are so right about the little things.

It is the most truthful film about love I have ever seen and maybe will ever be made.

Thanks!  I think you're right about that.  My wife sat with me and loved it too - except she hated the ending  :) (in exactly the right kind of way, if that makes sense)

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
1) I love the way they revealed how the "6 month" thing turned out: First with him saying he hadn't made it, later sheepishly admitting he had with all forgiveness - but later revealing how angry he actually was how it turned out.  So real.. So non-Hollywood.

It's totally Hollywood.  The same thing is in Love Affair in 1939.  They're supposed to meet in 6 months at the Empire State Building, but she gets in an accident on the way.  They meet again years later, and he's pretending he didn't show up, etc.  It's in the remake, An Affair To Remember and talked about Sleepless in Seattle.

Glad you liked the movie though.  I liked the first one a whole lot more.  I found Ethan Hawke's character to be really unlikeable in this one, but I can't remember all the reasons why.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »
I think it is impossible to appreciate Sunset fully unless you are at least in your 30s.
It's one I'll definitely revisit in my old age. You might just be right.

Love the review. You are so right about the little things.

It is the most truthful film about love I have ever seen and maybe will ever be made.
A Short Film About Love is quite something but I have pretty messed up ideas about love.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #505 on: March 13, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
The Squid and the Whale
(2006,  Noah Baumbach)

So I suppose at some point I should give it another try.  Anyone want to make a compelling argument?

I'm hoping to watch it tomorrow for my own Marathon.  Maybe I can give you that counterpoint.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #506 on: March 13, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
Encounters at the End of the World
Verdict:
I'm finding myself quite obsessed with the things Herzog gets obsessed about.  Brilliant documentary.

This review makes me happy. :) I enjoyed the movie so much, too.

Did you get a chance to check out the special features, the interview with Jonathan Demme? Demme seemed a little ill at ease, maybe intimidated by Herzog - not sure - but anyway, I just loved listening to Herzog. He's got such presence; I'm completely fascinated by him.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #507 on: March 13, 2010, 03:41:26 PM »

Verdict:

This review makes me happy. :) I enjoyed the movie so much, too.

Did you get a chance to check out the special features, the interview with Jonathan Demme? Demme seemed a little ill at ease, maybe intimidated by Herzog - not sure - but anyway, I just loved listening to Herzog. He's got such presence; I'm completely fascinated by him.

One of my news favorite things is listening to Kermode talk about Herzog. It's almost always funny and he plays Herzog up as sincere and a loon all at the same time.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #508 on: March 13, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I love that he goes to find penguins and  - instead of examining their norms, he analyzes the fringes of their society.  
Agreed. That's my favorite moment of the film.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #509 on: March 13, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »
The Squid and the Whale
(2006,  Noah Baumbach)

So I suppose at some point I should give it another try.  Anyone want to make a compelling argument?

I'm hoping to watch it tomorrow for my own Marathon.  Maybe I can give you that counterpoint.

That final shot is beautiful, enough in a second to make the film fantastic.