Author Topic: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade  (Read 101393 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Ferris' GooseEgg Marathon: 40 great films from this decade
« Reply #520 on: March 14, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
I'm very sad that Spirited Away wasn't up for any awards, particularly best score. :(

Spirited Away
(2001, Hayao Miyazaki)

6) The score – was AMAZING – I could go on for three paragraphs on this alone.

Did ya just forget?

Wilson

• Elite Member

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #522 on: March 14, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #523 on: March 14, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
Spirited Away wins

Oooooh, I see what's going on now.

Yeah - these last set of awards were just for the last 20 of the 40 films. ( I know - kinda silly :) ) Sorry for the confusion

I'm debating on doing a "final" set of awards but I'm worried I've saturated my audience here already!
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #524 on: March 14, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »
Hey ferris, approximately where on that list is the line between thumbs up and thumbs down? At one point are you not recommending the film?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
Hey ferris, approximately where on that list is the line between thumbs up and thumbs down? At one point are you not recommending the film?

I hate to make that line because but there is so much I honor over most of the ones on the list and it's all so very subjective.  But with a gun put to my head I guess the thumbs up / thumbs down line would be between 31 and 32, between Barley and Master and Commander.

As for recommending? that's a bit of a different question.  I think I could recommend ALL of these except History of Violence and The Squid and the Whale.  

EDIT: I went back broke the list out into categories
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:43:33 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #526 on: March 29, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »
So.  The purpse of this marathon from the beginning was for me to be able to make a Top 50 of the decade without having seen some of the most obvious and quintessential films.  I've taken this filmspotting BOD Award stuff pretty seriously!

While there are many many more films I wish I could watch before finalizing this list - especially more foreign films, I think I've gotten as close as I get for the BOD Awards voting this month.

So after three weeks of careful evaluation, last minute cramming, rewatches and endless tootling here is my list of the best of the decade.

It's basically just a slideshow put to music.  It's 7 minutes long - that's alot to ask, I understand, so I'll copy this list off in text form to the BOD Forum sometime next week.  But if you think about it this 7 minutes of video took since last September to compile - so maybe I can talk a few people into giving a full watch :)

(Youtube somehow detected the signature on one of the songs I used.  You can close that ad out.  If you don't you won't see the captions on the bottom.)

Here's the list:  ENJOY :)

Top 50 Films of the Decade
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #527 on: March 29, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
Arg. I should remember to bring headphones to school. In any case it looks promising just from the preview and the fact you used the Once soundtrack.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #528 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
I kept wondering "what is number 1? Why can't I remember?"...

..... and then "NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Otherwise, I love your list dude. And I that slide-show was pretty great :) One day I'll rewatch Synecdoche and you can rewatch Apocalypto (or something) ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #529 on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »
I kept wondering "what is number 1? Why can't I remember?"...

..... and then "NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Otherwise, I love your list dude. And I that slide-show was pretty great :) One day I'll rewatch Synecdoche and you can rewatch Apocalypto (or something) ;)

HA HA HA HA.  Well thanks for watching anyways even though the payoff wasn't what you were hoping.  So yeah SNY for Apocalyto....maybe in 2-3 years.  I'm still having nightmares from the first viewing :P
(switchboard)