love

Author Topic: Music Buzz  (Read 20867 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Music Buzz
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
So, so many problems with this article.

Perhaps a good way to prove the importance of lyrics in music though.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
So, so many problems with this article.

Perhaps a good way to prove the importance of lyrics in music though.

Seems to be written specifically around pop music and says nothing about the quality of lyrics over the 50 years.  Quite often lyrics seem easier to just think of as another instrument as understanding them may not offer anything that brings more enjoyment to the song.

I agree with loudness war problem.  The increase in output is reducing the dynamics and quality of the recordings.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:13 AM »
It's worth noting that they focused on melodies & harmonies, though. The complexity in music may now be happening more in the area of rhythm, which wouldn't show up in their measurements.

I don't see how this says anything at all about lyrics being critical, in any case. If anything, I'd tend to think that the obsessive focus on lyrics is one reason that people aren't more demanding about having diverse, interesting music underneath.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
It's worth noting that they focused on melodies & harmonies, though. The complexity in music may now be happening more in the area of rhythm, which wouldn't show up in their measurements.

I don't see how this says anything at all about lyrics being critical, in any case. If anything, I'd tend to think that the obsessive focus on lyrics is one reason that people aren't more demanding about having diverse, interesting music underneath.

You just brought another thought to my head for FLY.

What about music in a foreign language?  Is it to be thrown in to the same bucket of instrumental music (noise)?  Or would you take the time out to find translations of the lyrics if the musical tunes are interesting enough?

Or do you hold them up to a higher value than instrumental music knowing that there are lyrics behind them but couldn't be bothered since you don't understand them by just listening?

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

spoko

• Elite Member
  • Hero of the Great Taco Syndicate
    • Bullet in the Brain
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2012, 06:47:32 AM »
I believe that corner of the worm can has been investigated as well. To very little enlightenment on either side, as I recall.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »
As long as there's a translation somewhere out there it's generally of more value, I would think. I would also say that yes, because there are lyrics even in a foreign language it is automatically elevated as well.

It's difficult to grapple with them if there aren't translations though, especially because I am not great with foreign languages and because English is the world's most beautiful language. It seems pointless to me, if I don't have a means of translating, to read a poem in a foreign language because to me it would mean nothing. Songs, being the best modern equivalent to poetry, function the same way.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
English is the world's most beautiful language.

I know I shouldn't, but in what respect and how do you come to this determination?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
The sound, the way it's crafted, its beautiful malleability.  Unlike a romance language the lovely sounds need to be caressed out, they aren't embedded, and as such I find them to be much more special. Other Germanic languages I find a bit too rough around the edges, while English can be as hard or as soft as the manipulator desires. There are other languages, I'm sure, that function similarly to English, but no major language I have encountered that exemplifies all the things I love about language quite like English. It's perfectly imperfect.

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »

2007, imperically, the best year (of my lifetime) to have lived in, from a quality of media connsuption angle.

also, http://www.pitchfork.com/peopleslist/ is awesome - specially the nerdy bits below the list.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
English is the world's most beautiful language.

I know I shouldn't, but in what respect and how do you come to this determination?
Obviously never listened to a Parisien Rap Station
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love