Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 23074 times)

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2017, 04:25:53 AM »
I know I'm spitting into the wind here, but those aren't really the right questions, not ultimately. They become interesting only when they're rhetorical, thus raising the more engaging philosophical question of what truly distinguishes humans from replicants; what does it mean to be human; do androids dream of electric sheep; et cetera. But, whatever, it's all subjective, and most any film can be distilled down to boring-sounding questions, I'm sure, like when Freddie Mercury watched The Matrix and then wrote, "Is this real life, or is this just fantasy?"

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • All temperatures are in centigrades.
« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2017, 04:41:08 AM »
Freddie died in 1991 and The Matrix premiered in 1999, so some sort of time traveling must have been going on back there and then? ;D
I might remember it all differently tomorrow.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #402 on: December 19, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »
I know I'm spitting into the wind here, but those aren't really the right questions, not ultimately. They become interesting only when they're rhetorical, thus raising the more engaging philosophical question of what truly distinguishes humans from replicants; what does it mean to be human; do androids dream of electric sheep; et cetera. But, whatever, it's all subjective, and most any film can be distilled down to boring-sounding questions, I'm sure, like when Freddie Mercury watched The Matrix and then wrote, "Is this real life, or is this just fantasy?"

pixote

I agree, I just think the way these questions get elevated is through interesting characters, which the original Blade Runner lacks. The one it has is stashed till the last few scenes of the film. Blade Runner 2049, on the other hand, is all about a character's journey, and it's not wrapped into a "oooh is he a Replicant ? You might find you if you watch the Director's Cut !" nonsense kind of mystery.

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
The original film is only wrapped inside the "Is he a replicant?" question in the popular imagination. The film itself is much more focused on the question of "Are replicants human?" (aka, do androids dream of electric sheep?), as it's that question that creates the moral and ethical quandaries in the job Deckard has to do. Deckard's questionable status as human serves to underscore how blurry the line is between the two, but it's not the thematic or structural core of the film.

pixote
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:55:41 AM by pixote »
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #404 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
The original film is only wrapped inside the "Is he a replicant?" question in the popular imagination. The film itself is much more focused on the question of "Are replicants human?" (aka, do androids dream of electric sheep?), as that question create the moral and ethical quandaries in the job Deckard has to do.

pixote

See, my feeling watching it was that the film wasn't asking that question at all: it came with an answer already. Everything in the film is screaming "Replicants are human (or equal to humans anyway) and killing them is 100% wrong". I never get a sense of moral complexity from it.

I guess if I or Harrison Ford cared even a tiny little bit about Deckard, his journey along that path would be resonant.

The "Is Deckard a replicant" thing comes up because that's the only way the film works at all: if Deckard is a replicant, that is. Because as a human, he's just a monster. A murderer and even a rapist.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:00:26 AM by Teproc »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2018, 12:33:25 AM »
See No Evil, Hear No Evil (aka Richard Pryor is blind, Jean Wilder is deaf)

Even through the first 10 minutes it's very hit and miss. The blind/deaf shtick is only sometimes good for a laugh, and the rest of the time it leaves you groaning at how stupid the bit is. This is the only film I can think of where someone acted blind and I didn't believe it. Pryor has the mannerisms of someone who lost his sight that very moment, but he's like that all the time.

The genre of physically impaired buddy comedies may be small but this is clearly below Stuck On You. Possibly Aaltra may be a contender for top stop. Yes, as with all things, I have investigated this matter thoroughly.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2018, 06:57:04 AM »
Cough Gene cough

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »
\_(ツ)_/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #408 on: January 13, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Overlong opening credits with one unfunny gag. Then the film immediately jumps into a rap sequence... remember when unlikely characters rapping was funny? IT NEVER WAS! Then the film goes to a Turkish prison sequence which is actually more painful to watch than the scene it is making light of, because the jokes are so brutal.

I had a fond memory of this. That memory has been destroyed. I believe at this point Mel Brooks films are best enjoyed by watching a 30 second YouTube clip of the highlights. Or be very high or drunk.

Ridiculous 6

I heard Nick Swardson make a case not that long ago that people are unfairly hating on Sandler's films for the last however many years, because it was the thing to do. I have been guilty in the past of getting caught up in a couple hate trains without giving it much thought... Dane Cook, George Lucas... Sometimes someone or something becomes disproportionately disliked and then time passes and you realize they, or it, was never that bad. I'm not perfect, I've fallen into that sort of thing before. So when Swardson defended Sandler's latest films it made me check myself... Had I just casually fallen into the "Sandler films suck" camp? I would say I was simply disinterested more than a hater but either way it put the idea in my head maybe I had been missing out on some good lighthearted comedy.

No. This was shit. Uncreative, lazy shit. Just so so awful.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #409 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
Ridiculous 6

Yes, and yet the John Turturro baseball scene is a standout.

love