Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 75604 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #430 on: March 09, 2018, 11:22:03 PM »
Hollywood misses when we had to go to the theater to see all the glorious images. We stopped making the effort so they did too.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #431 on: March 10, 2018, 01:19:36 AM »
But even the slightly above average television show looks better than this.

There's certainly no excuse for all the ugly rack focusing, omg.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #432 on: March 10, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
I only watch cell phone footage films by Jhon Hernandez.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #433 on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
Guess I'm feeling restless this morning, because none of these inspired me to continue watching.

Super Dark Times (2017)
The opening with the deer was good. Similar thing actually happened at my high school, except the deer didn't die, it just kept running through the halls until it found a way out. I bailed during the forced banter between the two boys. Just the most cliched comic book talk possible.

On Body and Soul (2017)
So dry. So much slaughterhouse footage early in the morning.

Three (2017)
I love Johnnie To, but he's really hit or miss. This was a big miss. The characters are all just so bad.

So, now I'm finishing up my third rewatch of John Wick: Chapter 2.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #434 on: March 10, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »
Agree on Three, I had a choice between this and Office. I think I made the wrong choice. Fortunately one of the streaming services I subscribe to has Office.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #435 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

More like an hour and a half. Really loved the opening sequence. Dug the visuals. The banter and relationship between DeHaan and Delevingne is really off. The plot gets super repetitive and uninteresting. Not going to finish.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #436 on: March 12, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Yea I don't blame you there. You've seen what it is and what it isn't. I agree, that banter is just rough.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #437 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
Ally Was Screaming - Not a bad premise but just didn't care for the tone, or the presentation generally. Stuck in weird wierd rom-com limbo. Gave up after 20.

The Little Hours - Really wanted to love this... I think maybe it was too restrained to make me laugh. Use that R rating! Gave up half way.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - not doing much for me on a second pass which is sad because it was one of the best films that year I'd thought. Now I can't be bothered to finish it.

The Space Between Us - The film could have begun at 15 or 20 minute mark. All that context just to establish he's a secret space baby whose mother died? When the film proper began I decided this was no a protagonist I cared to sit through a movie with.

My Life Without Me - This has aged badly. All it's sensibilities just reek 2003 indie, which I wouldn't think would be such a bad thing, but I guess it is. I was in it for Mark Ruffalo, but bailed before he showed up.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture - Another almost-funny comedy that I grew tired off halfway through.

The Meddler - Annoying character in a fantasy-world. Grew frustrated at what it was shaping up to be, so I walked.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #438 on: March 14, 2018, 06:37:22 AM »
The Little Hours is okay. They ramp things up and by the end of the movie they're using that R rating to its fullest.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #439 on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:33 AM »
My Life Without Me - This has aged badly. All it's sensibilities just reek 2003 indie, which I wouldn't think would be such a bad thing, but I guess it is. I was in it for Mark Ruffalo, but bailed before he showed up.

Coixet! I'm afraid to revisit this and Things I Never Told You (1996, with Lili Taylor). Those were favorite films of mine at the time, but I've gotten a lot less tolerant towards American (m)indie films. The last I've seen from Coixet was Another Me (2013) and it was terrible. And Taylor, who was the coolest thing in the '90s, pretty much disappeared into supporting roles and horror flicks. Sarah Polley is still doing well, but only because she turned to directing.

love