love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 74628 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Though if you enjoyed that other crappy documentary called Leviathan, the one that feels like 37 hours of ugly, dark, pointless GoPro footage from aboard a fishing boat, than this might be your thing.

One the best films of the 21st Century.

I won't let this deter me from following your documentary recommendations. You've steered me right more often than you've steered me wrong. ;)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »
Ha!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2019, 10:14:00 PM »

Hard Rain (1998) - Does anyone remember this is? Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater... another post-Twister weather disaster film. I'd never heard of it. It also happens to be heist film. This one was terrible. I stopped at the ski-doo chase through a flooded school. I was just like "is this it? Is this really the premise that's meant to sustain me for an entire film?" A disappointment coming from the writer of Speed and Broken Arrow.

For sure I remember it and probably watched it a few times too many given it was likely on HBO often when looking for something to watch. But Christian Slater was one of those actors you always tried to catch at the time, at least until this movie than it seemed the quality of his films kept going downhill

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:56 PM »
I missed Hard Rain in theaters but my friend bought the laserdisc so I figured it must be reasonably entertaining. The trailer is actually pretty good because it's the type of high concept idea that makes for a good trailer. Plus there's the exchange...
"You're the sheriff."
[Sheriff Randy Quaid guns people down.]
"I'm the what?!?"

Anyway, didn't take long to realize the film is poorly written and directed and it doesn't seem to know how to take advantage of its concept.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2019, 11:14:37 PM »
Though if you enjoyed that other crappy documentary called Leviathan, the one that feels like 37 hours of ugly, dark, pointless GoPro footage from aboard a fishing boat, than this might be your thing.

One the best films of the 21st Century.

Yeah I really liked Leviathan too, but that fits with the general trend of smirnoff being the anti-me.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #485 on: January 25, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »
I wonder who this generations Christian Slater is.

Anyway, didn't take long to realize the film is poorly written and directed and it doesn't seem to know how to take advantage of its concept.

I could see the film working better if Freeman and Slater's roles were reversed. The biggest weakness in the premise I saw is that Slater was sticking his neck out to protect money that wasn't his. Going well beyond the call of a Brinks money mover.

Yeah I really liked Leviathan too, but that fits with the general trend of smirnoff being the anti-me.

I like to be consistent. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #486 on: January 26, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »

I don't think I made it much past the opening credits. I certainly didn't stick around long enough to see Jackie Gleason turn up. I just thought I'd put it on and get a sense of it. See if there was any chuckles to be had. Generally speaking I wouldn't expect a comedy like this to work seeing it for the first time 30 years after release, so it wasn't a great disappointment. I just had to check... because Hanks.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »
Little Children (Todd Field, 2006) - I may resume this out of curiousity... I may not. I watched about 30 minutes and didn't really like the overall presentation. A rare case where I am not on board with the narration. I might have stuck with it if it felt like it was going to sink it's teeth into the subject matter at some point, but I didn't have much confidence. A few weird character moments that rang false as well.

The Ghost and the Darkness (Stephen Hopkins, 1996) - Uninspired presentation. Just getting this story moving was a chore, and once the killer lion enters into it it became laughable. It felt like an over serious presentation of The Mummy or something. Ultimately is it even that good of a story to tell? A lion that eats people as they attempt to build a railway bridge over some river.

No Mercy (Richard Pearce, 1986) - I've never seen Richard Gere play this much of a character before. Joisey accent and all. I dunno, it was shaping up to be some undercover cop movie. Seemed totally stupid so I bailed very quickly.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2019, 09:15:28 PM »
Little Children (Todd Field, 2006) - I may resume this out of curiousity... I may not. I watched about 30 minutes and didn't really like the overall presentation. A rare case where I am not on board with the narration. I might have stuck with it if it felt like it was going to sink it's teeth into the subject matter at some point, but I didn't have much confidence. A few weird character moments that rang false as well.

The narration is a bit inconsistent at times and I agree, I would rather not have it but despite that, I still recommend. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2019, 09:17:52 PM »

The narration is a bit inconsistent at times and I agree, I would rather not have it but despite that, I still recommend. 

Thanks for the push. I should hang in at least until Jackie Earle Haley shows up I guess.