love

Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 74635 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:15 PM »
The Wailing (Hong-jin Na, 2016) - 56 minutes in... spoilers

There's a lot to like here. More than like even. That's why I was able to stick with it this long despite it's frustrating characters, and long list of things that make you say "what?" and "huh?". Eventually the last straw came though... it was just too much. I legitimately thought I was at the climax of the movie. Our main characters had made it to the mysterious house of the devil/ghost/vampire man, and there's all kinds of incriminating evidence (and freakish stuff), so there's no mistaking they've come to the right place. It seems like we're about to have our ultimate encounter and resolve this thing once and for all. The devil-man looms over our characters and... the movie cuts to our characters driving away.

No explanation of how they got out of there alive. No attempt to speak to the man. Nothing.

I've filled in some pretty big blanks in films before, but this was next level. Are there any rules in this story? Hello? Is this Earth? Are you human? There can be no stakes in a story if there are no consequences to things like this. Very frustrating.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2019, 08:32:05 PM »
I remember years ago you talking about walking away from a movie that isn't working for you. I like that you're reporting about it now.

The Wailing has the potential to be a good movie and a good genre blender, but it needs to sew itself up tighter. No reason to be 2.5hrs AND leave so many loose threads. The director made The Chaser (2008), which is one of S. Korea's best police thrillers.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #492 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:10 AM »
I remember years ago you talking about walking away from a movie that isn't working for you. I like that you're reporting about it now.

The Wailing has the potential to be a good movie and a good genre blender, but it needs to sew itself up tighter. No reason to be 2.5hrs AND leave so many loose threads. The director made The Chaser (2008), which is one of S. Korea's best police thrillers.

Funny you mention it. When I was combing through past viewings for this list, I spotter The Chaser. I had no memory of seeing it, but I did indeed watch it and write about it for Filmspotting Fortnight. It sounds like I didn't like it too much. In searching around the forum (I think in one of the Shocktober threads) I noticed you had written about the inept police theme that seemed to often come up with Korean films. It's an interesting trend that I imagine plays better if you're a part of that culture. A lot of the film felt that way really. Still, a lot of things Korean cinema does differently are things I enjoy, so I guess I'll take the good with the bad.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #493 on: January 31, 2019, 06:03:25 PM »
Mortal Thoughts (1991) - Hmm. There's something to this one actually. The presentation showed more craftsmanship than what, at first glance, I took to be a throw-away thriller from the early 90's. This felt like it had some pedigree behind it. There was an artfulness to it. I stuck it out for 30 minutes and then skipped through the rest because the story was stretched thin and I was bored, but even so I was intrigued at the effort. I would delve into Rudolph's filmography, but there's nothing there that looks remotely good to me. I probably wouldn't have watched Mortal Thoughts either except that it happened to be on Prime, and I didn't put myself off it by watching the trailer.

True Appaloosa (2015) - A doc about a breed of horses which traditionally was thought to have originated in Spain and made it's way to North America with the conquistadors, but it is argued here that they actually came from Asia, across the Bering land bridge far earlier. As a viewer I didn't have a horse in the race. The outcome of the investigation mattered little to me (because they failed to demonstrate what why it would matter). They set it up as if it's some huge controversial topic. Our subjects act as if they're on some Coperican journey that will rewrite the history books. But while they claim to have been laughed out of rooms for their beliefs, they failed to show even a single person who expressed a differing opinion. So it felt to me like they were rebelling against nothing, or WAY overstating the supposed level of opposition. I got very tired of the doc making drama where none seemed to exist, and filling the time with characters boarding planes and catching taxis, when they could have been giving me information about why this investigation would have important repercussions.

Domino (2005) - Once a top 100 film for me, but now it doesn't hold my attention. It's really starting to show it's age. Or maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:05:16 PM by smirnoff »

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
The Ghost and the Darkness (Stephen Hopkins, 1996) - Uninspired presentation. Just getting this story moving was a chore, and once the killer lion enters into it it became laughable. It felt like an over serious presentation of The Mummy or something. Ultimately is it even that good of a story to tell? A lion that eats people as they attempt to build a railway bridge over some river.

TWO man-eating lions. I really liked this movie, but it's been a very long time.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #495 on: February 01, 2019, 10:43:45 PM »
TWO man-eating lions. I really liked this movie, but it's been a very long time.

I had been for me as well. I remember liking it more. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #496 on: February 02, 2019, 04:11:26 AM »
Requiem for the American Dream (2015) - Noam Chomsky's analysis is bleak and depressing and I'm sure it's probably accurate too. I got about half way and was too dispirited to continue. It's a well organized presentation though with lots of time to reflect on Chomsky's words among the montages of archival footage. I may try it again one day now that I know what I'm in for. :(

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #497 on: February 03, 2019, 01:22:39 AM »
The Bone Collector (Phillip Noyce, 1999)

I'm pretty sure it's Michael Rooker. I only saw 30 minutes of it, but either he's the killer, or he's conspicuously missing during every important moment for no reason. This wasn't bad.... but it's no Seven, and I ain't hanging around just to see if they got me with a red herring. Jolie and Denzel give it more potential than it ever capitalizes on imo. Dumb 90's hacker stereotypes continue to make me appreciate Ving Rhames in Mission Impossible. Inspired casting for it's day!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #498 on: February 03, 2019, 02:04:29 AM »
There's a huge problem built into putting this story on the screen. The killer never, ever lets his victims live. They are there to die. So, there is no logical purpose to wearing a mask. Because the killer wears a mask, we know it has to be someone else in the cast. So what's meant to be a manhunt (and everyone in the film treats it as such) is actually a whodunit.

It's not who you think it is.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #499 on: February 03, 2019, 02:15:03 AM »
Heh wow, that is a good point.

I just googled who thee real killer is! Aw shit!