Author Topic: Caught 10 minutes of....  (Read 74634 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Caught 10 minutes of....
« Reply #510 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
Saw the first 30 minutes of Crazy Rich Asians before I drifted off to sleep and I felt like it's been a long time since I've seen such a boring opening act to a film. Not a joke landed and the entire setup felt like it could have been a five minute sequence. I quickly ended up dozing off and returned the film to Redbox without finishing it.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #511 on: March 23, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
Two Mules For Sister Sarah was not worthy of a revisit, except to give greater perspective on superior westerns. Hearing Morricone's music, in a western, but outside of a Sergio Leone film, really helped me get a measure of his contribution. I tell you it's a lot! Even in this, a passable but forgettable cowboy/nun story, the score comes in and you feel, for a moment, that you're watching a masterpiece. It's such a powerful and transformative ingredient! When it goes away you find out what you've really got. Not much in this case. Some reasonably good banter, but a story that's just who cares.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #512 on: April 04, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
Lost And Delerious - Two Thumbs Up! says Ebert and Roeper. This movie was just one trope after another. All the boarding school tropes. All the archetypal characters. "I smoke, because I'm the rebel teenager character" "I'm the bitchy snobby rich one" "I'm the doe-eyed innocent one". "I hate my step mom!"... I want my 5 minutes back!

"Quentin Tarantino presents" The Man With The Iron Fists - The choreography and cinematography are a complete mess. Downright ugly to look at. Nothing fun or exciting or creative about it. It's like someone watched a Guy Ritchie film and thought "oh yea, I've never directed a film before, but I could do that". Frankly it's embarrassing. The seal of approval from Tarantino gave me some hope it might be on the level of Hero, since he also "presented" that film. This was sharknado level garbage.

he's just not that into you - thinks it's cute. it's not cute. Scarlett Johansson and Bradley cooper have a grocery store encounter, but OH NO Bradley Cooper is married! HOW WILL IT END! Don't care. It's a movie full of moronic characters.

mother's boys - Not a good thriller... just way too slow to get going. I quit after 30 minutes... 20 mintues of which felt like it should have been a 1 minute montage. Get the the park where Jamie Lee Curtis does some crazy shit! Who knows if it ever gets there. The premise itself is terribly mundane for a thriller.

Cool house though.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #513 on: April 04, 2019, 10:46:55 PM »
 8)

I'd watch 30 minutes of Mother's Boys for the house alone.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #514 on: April 08, 2019, 05:00:15 PM »
The Last Samurai - About the only thing I like about this premise is the cultural parallels the film draws between the Japanese and Native Americans... two cultures I never would have thought to compare and contrasted. Otherwise this film is pretty unlikable. Flipping slow too, which is annoying when you see everything coming. Not one of Zimmer's noteworthy scores unfortunately... that might've saved it.

I Am Number Four - Is this a sequel? This feels like a sequel. This can't possibly be the premise of a standalone film. It's so thin! And who chose the songs from the soundtrack? All the montages are set to the worst top 50 radio pop. The demographic who could enjoy this movie feels REALLY specific.

Molly - Whoa, alright... brace yourself, it's 1998 and we're still using the R-word rather liberally. You gotta judge it by its intentions though I think, and when you look at it that way it's heart seems to be in the right place. On it's own merits it's not really that well told of a story. Light humour, harmless, but not that enjoyable. I kept waiting for the stakes. And then once the film showed it's hand I was like nah. I didn't really care enough how it turned out. Is brain surgery to "cure" autism really even a thing? I'm not really an expert, but even so the film seems pretty antiquated in it's understanding of autism. But then, it's 20 years old so what should I expect?

Mary Reilly - What a BORING and ugly presentation. Just so grey and dull. How is it perpetually THIS foggy outside? I have a vague idea of the Jekyll and Hyde and 30 minutes of this movie did nothing to expend my understanding. Terrible adaptation.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #515 on: April 09, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »

I Am Number Four - Is this a sequel? This feels like a sequel. This can't possibly be the premise of a standalone film. It's so thin! And who chose the songs from the soundtrack? All the montages are set to the worst top 50 radio pop. The demographic who could enjoy this movie feels REALLY specific.

This film is based on the first book in a series

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #516 on: April 10, 2019, 04:32:35 PM »
Horseman - 2009 film starring Dennis Quaid and Ziyi Zhang. Some sort of serial killer/detective story. I didn't make it far, as the dialogue was just unbearable and cliche. Shot in Winnipeg. That was the only part I enjoyed... recognizing locations. They did somehow find a house with a god damn wall refrigerator though, which as far as I know hasn't been a thing since the 50's! The location scout was bringing his A-game for this one. If there are even 10 of those in all of Canada I'd be suprised.

Murder By Numbers - Another serial killer/detetctive story. This time with Sandra Bullock and a fledgling actor named Ryan Gosling. Not as terrible as Horsemen, but also not good enough to sit through for more than 30 minutes. Mostly the problem is Bullock's character and all her uninteresting demons.

The Producers - Nope!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
I watched the whole of the 60s The Producers.  It was fine.  Made it through about 20 minutes of the 2005 version.  Big nope.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

don s.

• Elite Member
  • You had me at "Hello, here's $50."
    • my movie collection
« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
I watched the whole of the 60s The Producers.  It was fine.  Made it through about 20 minutes of the 2005 version.  Big nope.

I saw the 2005 version at the cinema with friends and thus didn't have the option of shutting it off. But, yeah, it's painful.
My TV ain't HD / that's too real

Teal | Green | Lime Green | Orange | Red

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:16 PM »
Thunder Road

Caught more than 10 minutes, maybe the first 20 mins and last 15 mins on a long haul flight but it was very late with perhaps a couple glasses of wine, I missed the middle piece.

But... I will go back as soon as I can to watch it, hopefully it is still playing next week on my flight to China.  Now, I hadn't watched that many films this year but of what I saw, this is my favorite.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love